Thread: Need help trying to remove trim panel under dash. (Drivers side)

My Cars
    1999 z3

Need help trying to remove trim panel under dash. (Drivers side)

I've removed all the screws I can find, but it still is stuck where that little vent is (above the gas pedal). That section doesn't wiggle at all and I can't figure out what is holding it on. Is there some hidden screw? I Have the top and left sections loose, but not that section. Do I need to remove the panel on the transmission tunnel? There are two flat plastic panel holders at the back (engine side) of the panel. The one on the left let me pull that side off. The one on the right side I'm not sure of, but I don't think that's the problem because I can't get that side to move at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom

(this is where it's stuck. Right side is top)

zzz
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    As best I can remember, you push that panel forward as you remove it. You do not need to remove the console panel. You do have to remove that screw just aft of the panel you're trying to remove. If it's solid, there is still a screw in place. If it's loose but difficult, keep wiggling and pushing forward. Sorry, it's been a while, that's the best I can do to help.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 5sp
    On the right side of the panel, nearest to the seat, there is a vertical tab molded into the panel. It’s about 1/2 inch tall, and slides into a square hole in the side console panel. With the two locks removed, slide the whole panel toward the seat a little, and then to the left to move the tab out of the hole. The panel on the passenger side is made the same way, with a tab toward the console. When you put it back together, slide the tab in, push the panel toward the firewall, and line up the locking pins with the lock holes.
    ‘98 Z3 2.8 roadster, Montrealblau/tan 5sp, M50 manifold, AFE intake, SuperSprint catback, Bilsteins, BAVAuto sport springs, Style 42 BBS

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I don't remember tabs or slots as the hang up, but rather the interference between the dash panel and a molded plastic heater vent in the side of the console.
    That and the projecting edge of the metal crash panel that allowed no room to slip the panel tabs behind the console. I opened up the gap a lot:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...2#post29898932

I was in and out several times looking at the clutch pedal bushing and the brake and clutch switches, and it always took a lot of trying to get the panel back in.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 04-21-2019 at 05:21 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 5sp
    sorry, i was thinking of the black plastic panel above the pedal assemblies
    ‘98 Z3 2.8 roadster, Montrealblau/tan 5sp, M50 manifold, AFE intake, SuperSprint catback, Bilsteins, BAVAuto sport springs, Style 42 BBS

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by pinny View Post
    I've removed all the screws I can find... Have the top and left sections loose, but not that section... There are two flat plastic panel holders at the back (engine side) of the panel. The one on the left let me pull that side off...
    Quote Originally Posted by fignewton View Post
    sorry, i was thinking of the black plastic panel above the pedal assemblies
    OK, so Posts #2 and 3 cover that.
    I thought you meant this panel, which has many little screws and is hard to remove and install -- which is why I trimmed the metal crash panel behind it:
    pic03.jpg
    You mean the slotted pedal cover panel below it, which has a few big plastic screws and seemed relatively very easy to remove and install.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 04-22-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405