Thread: coolant leak from bottom of clutch fan shroud

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

coolant leak from bottom of clutch fan shroud

My car was overheating a bit and i thought it was just the Oem radiator, so i replaced it with a nice thick aluminum one and replaced the two main radiator hoses connected to the motor with some silicone ones. (this did not fix my problem.) The leak doesn't start until my car hits running temperature, i know theres the small hose that goes around the inside of the shroud and i was wondering whats the name for that specific hose as thats what im hoping it is. As the leak goes through these small holes at the bottom of the shroud.

if pictures of the leak are needed, i can take some (it's also a very alarming amount of leakage.)

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe, 1987 325i
    Try to research and do some homework because if you’ve done that maintenance then you can definitely figure out the rest from realoem.com and pelicanparts walkthroughs. Not to roast you but it’s probably your heater core
    Only coolant that can spill down the back there is your main coolant line connnection to the head and heater core. Which is what I’m dealing with and, anything under the intake manifold and your heater hose connection which could be the core the hose or the core cracked. Does your heater work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328i
    So don't drive it till you find/fix the leak, if you overheat you can warp the head and that costs $$$.

It could be the therostat housing, could also be the water pump.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    So don't drive it till you find/fix the leak, if you overheat you can warp the head and that costs $$$.

It could be the therostat housing, could also be the water pump.
    +1. …or one of two hoses that traverse the shroud or the expansion tank/level sensor. My bet is water pump.

Use the last seven of you VIN in www.realoem.com and get familiar with the various diagrams

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6077

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6080

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0960

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Upper coolant overflow hose. I can almost guarantee it's where your leak is. It happened to me a while back. Clutch fan had consistent contact, and over time wore the hose down. Also don't listen to slick3, the problems you're experiencing are nowhere near the heater core loop.
    Last edited by hkdboarder42; 04-23-2019 at 01:22 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick3 View Post
    Try to research and do some homework because if you’ve done that maintenance then you can definitely figure out the rest from realoem.com and pelicanparts walkthroughs. Not to roast you but it’s probably your heater core
    Only coolant that can spill down the back there is your main coolant line connnection to the head and heater core. Which is what I’m dealing with and, anything under the intake manifold and your heater hose connection which could be the core the hose or the core cracked. Does your heater work?

Not to roast you but what did you even read that pointed towards heater core? He clearly said leak is dripping from fan shroud, so it's from the front of the engine.

OP unfortunately there's a number of areas you can leak be leaking from. You're just going to have to dig around and keep looking. Could be expansion tank, breather hose at the top of the shroud, hose at the bottom of the shroud, and potentially anything on the front of the engine; WP or tstat.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I also had the fan slowly wear a hole in that little hose. Was so small it was hard to find. I never actually saw it leak. I spotted it by taking things apart. A good guess is the water pump. They are supposed to seep from a little hole designed to warn you they are going out. But it could be the hose from the expansion tank, or the tstat housing, or poor application of a hose clamp (ask me how I know about that one).

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    i figured Out where the leak is coming from. it may be the thing you're talking about i dont know too much about my car and im only 15 so i am kinda a noob. i do know the previous owners did most of all the maintenance officially because they were some rich guys that kept track with 2 binders full of paper work that im currently going through to see anything with the heater core, so far i know, the water pump been replaced with a Stewart water pump. The leak comes from a hose that enters through the side of the clutch fan shroud, not the top little one but some hose that goes through an opening in the shroud, coming from somewhere on the driver side it goes under the fan, inside the shroud into somewhere that im gonna look into later this week. Sorry for the late responses ive been busy with school testing.

- - - Updated - - -

im not gonna be driving it for awhile i also plan on replacing all the old bushings lol.

- - - Updated - - -

is that the little one? if so its not that one.

- - - Updated - - -

im pretty sure it the hose from the bottom of the shroud.

- - - Updated - - -

my uncle poorly tightened a hose clamp on his M3 and it exploded on the freeway. what happened to you.

- - - Updated - - -

yes i see the heater core is not near the front of the car at all.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    The hose you're describing is your expansion tank return hose. Big hose, right? Just order one off of fcpeuro.com, and slap that sucker in yourself! Since you admitted you're new to this, and I'm going to also go off of the assumption that you're new to turning wrenches too, I would say this job is going to be a bit of a challenge for you, but I think you can do it. Just have somebody with a bit of experience under their belt there with you. I ~believe~ you can finesse the new hose into place without removing the fan shroud or the clutch fan, but don't quote me on that. I'd recommend giving it a shot before pulling your clutch fan as that's a huge PITA, but I wouldn't know, I bought my car with the fan delete already done! Also, before you turn the car on after the install, give the fan a couple good spins to make sure the new hose doesn't have any chance of coming into contact with it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36
    Quote Originally Posted by hkdboarder42 View Post
    Upper coolant overflow hose. I can almost guarantee it's where your leak is. It happened to me a while back. Clutch fan had consistent contact, and over time wore the hose down. Also don't listen to slick3, the problems you're experiencing are nowhere near the heater core loop.
    +1 to this. I had this same issue this past week and thought it was somewhere at the bottom because that's where the coolant will pool up and seem to leak from. Do you have white/blue coolant residue on your engine covers/intake/fan? The fan throwing coolant everywhere makes it a bit harder to pin point and the hose that runs through the fan shroud is nearly impossible to see unless you really look. I'd check this as well as the coolant hose that goes to the bottom of the expansion tank, it's likely one of those.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Lol I've been working on cars all my life but usually cars from Japan. Got the M3 and well I dont know everything about it yet besides what I've read but it's not the same as actually working on it and learning the car. I was about to go ahead and just order an entire silicone kit but everything for the M3 cost a lot more than your average car. I'd say I would have to remove the the shroud, I've removed it before when I upgraded to an aluminum radiator. Thanks for the help and believing in me. Gonna try to order a new expansion return hose soon! Maybe a silicone one so I dont have to worry about it for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm quite sure it's the hose that goes through the bottom of the fan shroud, the return hose for the expansion tank not the little one. The only way to find out though is by taking it apart and looking at it directly which I will do hopefully in the next few days!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    could you tell me which exact hose you think it is? as there is 2 larger expansions tank hoses and i dont know which one it is.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    I was unaware that there's two. If I were you I'd pull the hose and match the shape up with what you see on whichever website you chose to order your parts from (I'm still recommending fcpeuro). I'm assuming you're not actively driving the car at the time, which I would recommend. Last thing you want is air in your cooling system, which can lead to a warped head! Wish I could help further, but I haven't actually pulled the entire hose out so I can't inform you on it's exact shape. Another option you have is speaking to your local BMW dealership parts service and they should be able to find a part number for you. Also, don't fret brother. The e36 chassis is easy as hell to learn, I came from Subaru's originally so I get that there's some new waters with BMW, but you'll know them like the back of your hand in no time.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    the leak.jpgHere's a picture if the hose that the leak is coming from. I am for sure taking it part tomorrow to give it a look. will keep you guys posted just in case someone comes across the same problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinM3 View Post
    the leak.jpgHere's a picture if the hose that the leak is coming from. I am for sure taking it part tomorrow to give it a look. will keep you guys posted just in case someone comes across the same problem.
    ( im pointing at it)

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Make sure that hose is properly routed on the inside of the fan shroud. There are retaining tabs to keep it away from the fan. It connects to your overflow tank and then to piping under the intake manifold. My Dad's 97 328i actually (and smartly) had a brass connector right under the air intake to make remove much easier....
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3

- - - Updated - - -

( im pointing at it)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    +1. …or one of two hoses that traverse the shroud or the expansion tank/level sensor. My bet is water pump.

Use the last seven of you VIN in www.realoem.com and get familiar with the various diagrams

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6077

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6080

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0960

First link, hose #8 is what you're pointing at. Runs from bottom of the expansion tank, along the bottom of the fan shroud, then towards the firewall.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yes! i had to take out the radiator and everything to just make it easier to get it, ive ordered a new one from fcp euro, it should be here next week! i miss driving my car. ( i only drive it at the track, as they never said i needed a license to drive at the track)

My Cars
    99 M3
    ( i only drive it at the track, as they never said i needed a license to drive at the track)
    LOL!!! How do you get to the track…and how old are you?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Im only 15 and i have my permit though. the track is only a few miles away, i *cough* always *cough have a passenger older than 21 with me. sorry for the very late response

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Sorry everyone who somewhat cares to know if the leak was foxed or not! i've been very busy with end of the school year testing. Anyways bad news, that was not the correct hose. the leak still occurs but, i think i know where it is finally coming from. I think it's coming from the expansion tank as the coolant seems to run down the hose, i couldn't get a clear look but judging from the angle its coming from i think so. I replaced the hose as preventive maintenance i suppose, it wasn't the hardest thing to change as i didn't have to take of the intake or anything because im rather a skinny person. Anyways heres some pictures of the leak. i didn't run it too long but the leak only happens once the car has reached running temperature otherwise it seems perfectly fine. In the picture you can see that the coolant isn't really gathered in one spot so that also kinda reinforces that it might be the expansion tank cracked or something. The hose clamp was not loose i made sure of that (and i didnt over tighten it either) i tried testing the expansion tank before but it seems like it only leaks under pressure. or whatever is leaking does it under pressure. 20190504_151336.jpg20190504_152319.jpg