Thread: After pan/filter change, transmission whines before it warms up. Ideas?

My Cars
    2003 Z4

After pan/filter change, transmission whines before it warms up. Ideas?

Helping a friend with his 2006 325i with ZF trans. He just replaced the pan/filter and now the transmission whines when at ambient temperature (50-60 degrees F) before it warms up. Once the transmission is up to operating temperature, the noise goes away. He's sure the fluid level is correct.

It's a mystery to me, any ideas?

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Verify there is enough of that new transmission fluid in the transmission. You have to have the car and trans running and at operating temperature (at least 85 degrees C). Remove the plug on the trans and add fluid until it just starts to overflow. Reinstall plug.

Once again: trans fluid has to be hot. Don't burn y'self. Safety first. Crawling under a running car on jackstands is not for the faint of heart.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    The normal filling procedure for the A5S325Z aka 5HP19 is to get the ATF temperature between 30C and 50C. Then cycle the gears pausing in each one for a couple of seconds and top up until it just starts to trickle back out. If you get it too hot, you will not get the correct amount of ATF in. It is a two man job. You need somebody you trust to keep their foot firmly on the brake and move the shift lever.

http://netisak.lpru.ac.th/bmw_e34_di...pplication.pdf

If you don't get the filter to valve body seal right, air can be dragged in at that point causing a whine or whistle.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
    You have to have the car and trans running and at operating temperature (at least 85 degrees C). Once again: trans fluid has to be hot.
    No, TI says clearly: The transmission temperature must be between 30°C and 50°C before checking can begin. Use the DIS or the MODIC to determine the transmission temperature.
    whining at below actual operation temperature is a clear sign that there is not enough ATF in the trans, when hot the volume get's larger and then the whining is gone sometimes.
    Refill again, and I would use 30 degree C to get more into the trans. I do it always that way.
    And when it is still whining, then probably the o-ring on top of the filter does not fit perfectly and this causes air suction, here some samples what we found during work http://e32b12.blogspot.com/2012/10/t...er-o-ring.html
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Right, the trans fluid has to be warm, but not operating-temperature-hot.

From cold, drive it about a quarter mile and then check it. The fluid should be about as hot as steamy shower water.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.