Thread: '95 BMW 318is, Sat For 13 Years, Engine Won't Turn Over.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is M42

Question '95 BMW 318is, Sat For 13 Years, Engine Won't Turn Over.

1995 BMW 318is,

Left sitting in my garage since I was a kid (2006), my dad bought it as a mechanic's special but never got around to fixing it all these 13 years. My dad also can't remember why it wouldn't start.

Maintenance done: Replaced spark plugs, replaced fuel filter, changed engine oil and filter, filled car with a couple of gallons of gas (car was left sitting with zero gas in it), replaced timing belt, replaced battery, replaced engine coolant, checked all connectors and hoses.

Confirmed that the fuel rail has sufficient pressure (jumped fuel pump and applied 12v to fuel injector, they all fired just fine), confirmed engine has spark.

Compression test results: 60, 180, 115, 180 PSI.

I've tried to make the engine run on starting fluid and it almost turns over and I just end up hearing a big bang followed by smoke coming out of the exhaust. I've been told the engine should turn over with starting fluid but this doesn't happen, I've also been told by friends that all cylinders should be at least 90 PSI. Could that one cylinder be preventing the car from starting? This also leads me to believe the fuel injectors are not firing because the only signs of the engine coming to life are with starting fluid.

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Thats pretty low. If I remember correctly, healthy numbers are around 200 psi for an M42 but dont quote me on it. Its a relatively high compression engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Does the fuel pump prime?

My Cars
    Bmw E36, Lincoln LS,
    Your correct about psi might be a ews module problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Bmw E36, Lincoln LS,
    Can remember exactly what ews stops, fuel or spark

My Cars
    Bmw E36, Lincoln LS,
    Also when I bought my 93 it had the same problem turned out the dme relay was slightly corroded

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is M42
    Yeah the fuel pump primes, I just really wonder if that 60 psi on one cylinder is enough to make the engine not turn over. Can anyone help confirm this? I'm thinking of trying out a different DME from the junkyard also.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Could be the cam sensor, check that first.

The one low cylinder is not bad enough to prevent the car from starting, i wouldn't worry to much about it. After you get the car running again, use injector cleaner over the next 3 tanks of gas.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Check cam amd crank sensors for proper ohmages. Pull the injectors and make sure they flow useing the diy youtube methods with air pressure or fuel cleaner spray.
    The low compression is probably dry cylinder, pour a couple cap fulls of oil into the cylinder with low compression and let it sit for a few hours before doing another compression test or attempting to start.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is M42
    Hey guys, I'm back, just started a new job. I'm planning on updating this post frequently and thank you for your responses so far. I'm determined on getting this car running.

So, I've checked both the cam, and crank sensors and I'm getting proper ohm readings on them (about 530 ohms). The fuel pump is priming also and I replaced all of the injectors too. I checked the power connectors to the injectors and they get 12v when cranking the engine. All of the cylinders are now at above 100 PSI, I just poured engine oil down the spark plug holes. I also took off the valve cover and the camshafts looked pretty clean.

I decided to replace my red label 282 DME with another 282, and when I tried cranking it, I noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe for the first time. Also I heard signs of life come from the engine similar to when I unsuccessfully tried to turn the engine over with starting fluid but I wasn't able to replicate the engine coming to life upon further cranking. I noted that the exhaust smelled of gasoline. I checked the vin https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/jc17290 and it says it came with an S900A Electonic Immobilizer, so I believe it has EWSI, although that shouldn't be a problem. Any thoughts guys?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is M42
    Lifted up the fuel rail and I just confirmed that I saw all 4 injectors spray fuel out! What could it be at this point? I sprayed the ICV with MAF cleaner and I checked my compression and I'm above 100 on all cylinders. Could the engine still be flooded with gasoline and still have good compression?
    Last edited by marvin5881; 06-25-2019 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Look up the values of the sensors one is supposed to be over 1000, one of the books is wrong the values are swapped.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is M42
    Interesting development, I have relinquished the troubleshooting to a mechanic near me, he told me I needed a new crankshaft position sensor for $300 parts and labor (I was shocked because I tested the sensor weeks ago and it came back at 540ohms, which is what it should be). I decided to take the car back and buy the sensor myself. The part should be here in a few days but I decided to take the current sensor out and test it again, it did come back as 550 ohms but it looks like it's been mangled.

20190714_115446.jpg
    20190714_115436.jpg