Thread: E34 530i build

My Cars
    E34 530i

E34 530i build

I recently got a 1994 530i which is in excellent condition and as I began to research possible things to modify I’ve found that my engine leaves things to be desired.Im open to suggestions on possible engine swaps or any suggestions you have.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to E34 forum

...my engine leaves things to be desired.
    more in detail please. And how much is your budget?
    Last edited by shogun; 04-18-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Second what Shogun said. And I’ll be the first guy to say it:
    Maintence, maintence, and then maintence. That itself is an upgrade over how the car is most likely currently performing.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    I have an m60b30 and it’s not bad, is it the fastest thing ever? Not at all, but it definitely has some oomf and there are some low cost upgrades that can make it a lot quicker. Of course if you have an unlimited budget the sky is the limit and you might as well swap whatever engine you want m60b4x, s62, s85, turbo of any of these (s85 is for the real adventurous and deep pocketed people). s62 is going into mine most likely once im done with school, but things ive done like b40 intake and throttle body, diff upgrade, and just maintenance things like your suspension bits and pieces, gaskets, and everything in between will make your car feel a lot faster and a lot better and cost significantly less than a full on engine swap and are most likely needed for one. The difference a suspension refresh, 18” inch wheels with good tires, and a few other things is absolutely crazy from when i first purchased it. Mines a manual and so that might make a difference if yours is an auto and if thats the case than a manual swap will definitely help. But for now i am satisfied with my b30 and the upgrades ive done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Hello and welcome!

Post some pics and details of what kind of condition it's currently in. There's no timing belt or valve adjustments, but these things are less tolerant of worn-out parts than Asian or American cars. Do maintenance first, then mods. What work has been done recently? Ever owned a BMW or other German car before?

A B40 or B44 swap is the obvious upgrade path. I did the latter in my 530i wagon. What are your goals and resources (money, time, facilities, abilities)?

My Cars
    E34 530i
    As far as maintenance goes I have no problems to report, I really got a steal on the 530i because most everything I’ve checked is in great condition. Currently I’m in the process of installing some Vogtland lowering springs. I’ll be sure to post pics once I’m done. As far as finances go I’m just trying to get the most bang for my buck engine wise. I’ve also got a bit of time on my hands especially with summer coming up time shouldn’t be an issue. Side note it is an auto which I would want to swap ASAP and I see it most convenient to swap with an engine.

My Cars
    1995 530i, 1995 540i
    If you are putting lowering springs on, save yourself the trouble go ahead and put new struts and shocks on it. I have Spax springs with Bilstein B8 struts/shocks. I lucked out when I bought the front strut inserts, I found them on Amazon Warehouse "Used-Very Good" condition, which means someone bought the wrong struts and returned them, they cost me 60 bucks a piece. Likely not going to find them that cheap again. I know everyone has a different opinion on what they think is the best strut/spring combo. I like my set up, but others might disagree. The ride is not as harsh as others have made it out to be.

While you are replacing the springs get some new strut mounts as well as the spring insulator/spacers. Look at the condition of the rest of the suspension before you throw springs on it. I made the mistake when I bought mine and just threw some springs on it. I found out shortly after the rest of my suspension was in dire need of repair. A whole front end rebuild kit would be ideal. I have replaced pretty much every piece of the front end of mine, regrettably not all at once. If I have any advice for you it is to just do it all at the same time and save yourself the trouble of having to put it up on jack stands multiple times.

I have 90% of a manual swap collected for my car, I've had it for a few years just haven't mustered up the energy to pull the trigger on it. That and I want to replace the flywheel which will mean dropping another 500 dollars at least, the one I have has hot spots on it and they cannot be resurfaced because they are dual mass.

There is SO much information on this site and other BMW specific forums about these cars. I could type for hours all of the things you may encounter and should repair. I have had my 530i for 7 years now, I have done countless valve cover gaskets, a few intake gaskets, had the water pump off 3 times, replaced the CCV components. It's a love hate relationship with this car, fortunately for me it is my "toy", my wife tells me it's my way of holding on to my youth. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Carry tools with you and you will usually be able to get home. I've only been stranded once, that was when the auxiliary water pump decided it was too brittle to hold onto coolant.
    Last edited by consti2tion; 04-19-2019 at 07:44 AM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    The best bang for the buck is an E39 540i/6 engine and trans swap. There are a few ways to do it, the most correct of which replaces everything between the airbox and the inner hub flanges.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    The best bang for the buck is an E39 540i/6 engine and trans swap. There are a few ways to do it, the most correct of which replaces everything between the airbox and the inner hub flanges.
    Yes. I bought my motor and trans from a guy who had s62 swapped an e39. If you do decide to go with an m62 do not skip things like rod bolts and bearings like I did with my first swap if I hadnt my first swap wouldn't have spun a bearing and knocked.