Thread: Business CD Issues

My Cars
    1998 2.8 Z3 Z4 2004, 3.0

Business CD Issues

When I start my BMW Business CD radio/CD player for the first time in the morning it runs/plays fine. After the car heats up, 1/2 hour + and I stop the car and restart the CD/radio will not play. After the car/radio cools down 2 hours the radio/CD works again. I have discovered that there are 2 components the head unit and an amp in the trunk. I would like to replace the offending unit, not both any guesses as to which I should try first?
    Thanks

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Sounds like your amp in the trunk is overheating. There is supposed to be a thermal switch in the amp I believe.

I had an amp overheat when I switched radios in my ‘04. Switched the radio back out and the issue went away.

Depending on which radio you have... there are two different amps... expensive and insanely expensive. I have DSP/Carver high end system .... new amp is something like $1200 Cdn (insanely expensive).

Next time radio cuts off I would open trunk/lift trunk floor piece and feel the side of the amp. It’s it’s warm that’s normal.. if it feels “red hot”.... you likely have an issue with the amp or an incompatible radio installed. Mine didn’t like the 2007/8 radio I retrofitted. Despite what some re-cyclers try to tell you, you really need to use a radio that realoem.com states is “compatible”.

Flip side... I bought a “DSP” amp that wasn’t recommended as compatible(didn’t have the optical connection required). It actually worked without issues, except DSP options on radio didn’t work and I’m not sure the speakers behind seat were engaging....but I had music!

I ended up buying the new amp.... I was having speaker buzzing issue that I was trying to fix. Finally in the end decided car just didn’t like those specific tunes.

I now have 2 spare radios... two spare amps.... old recommended and the “what the hell...maybe it will work” amp.

I also drilled a hold in the battery well/amp well so that a water spill would drain out and not short out my brand new amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 2.8 Z3 Z4 2004, 3.0
    Thanks for the help. I went to grad school at Uvic long ago. I like to go to Kitimat in June to salmon fish on the river. So what is the faith of your old amps? I might be interested my Z4 is a 2003 with the 3.0, if your stuff fits, I have some stuff we might swap. bwmoffit@hotmail.com if you are interested.