Thread: Slight Jolting?

My Cars
    2016 328i

Slight Jolting?

Second post about my CPO 2016 328i - just got it a month ago - preface: BMW ran diagnostics on the automatic transmission and state there is no issue according to their testing. However, I notice that when i accelerate from a stop, and when I drive under 20 mph or so, sometimes there is a jolt/snap into gear. it's not so much so that the car lurches, but it is also not smooth like when the car shifts when I'm going over 30 mph or so. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it the way I'm driving? BMW reset the adaptive transmission settings or whatever, which didn't make much difference.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    There are throttle position/speed/RPM combos that will cause a shift that seems harshly out of character. Usually very slight acceleration and very light throttle application at a low speed. Like when driving in a residential area where you're just putzing along.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2016 328i
    Hey thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting this is normal behavior?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    It's possible. Do you usually only notice it during the conditions I described? If it accelerates normally when you're actually accelerating, say from a traffic light, then it's probably nothing to worry about. Even more so if it only happens with a cold engine. A cold engine will exacerbate the dramatic shifting at "low speed, light throttle, slow speed".
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2014 F30 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSeconds View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting this is normal behavior?
    I just bought an F30 and I can confirm this happens at low speeds with slight pedal input... Seems to be normal.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Ask the dealer to install a data logger to monitor the usual suspects for your problem. This is better than taking it to the shop, as it probably never happens in the shop.

If they won't do it, as to speak with the BMW Zone rep.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
    Ask the dealer to install a data logger to monitor the usual suspects for your problem. This is better than taking it to the shop, as it probably never happens in the shop.

If they won't do it, as to speak with the BMW Zone rep.

That's not a piece of equipment that a dealer is just going to hook up to the vehicle and just let you go drive around for a week. At best, they will hook it up and keep it for a few days while the shop foreman uses your car to commute.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    A dealer will install a data logger. If they say no, then ask to speak with the BMW zone rep. Remember, if you never ask, you'll never get a date.

My Cars
    2013 F30 330xd
    This is exactly what I was searching for.
    I have a similar issue, at trivial speeds, like walking, with the barest touch on the throttle I get a jolting/knocking when I want the car to ease forward. More prevalent when up a slight hill. If I give it any proper push then the car pulls away nicely.

Did you make any progress Twoseconds?