RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2013 F10 535i Auto Hold & Parking Brake Malfunction

My Cars
    13' 535i, 03' 540-M Sprt

Question 2013 F10 535i Auto Hold & Parking Brake Malfunction

Hello, I have searched relentlessly for the cause of the following.

Vehicle:
    2013 BMW 535i M-Sport 93K

Issue:
    While driving the vehicle intermittently I will get the Parking Brake Malfunction message on the iDrive screen. You can click OK and it will go off and stay off but then at times it comes right back on sometimes at 5-10 second intervals for 5-10 minutes. I am also getting the Auto Hold malfunction message randomly as well.

The parking brake seems to mechanically work fine. When it is applied you can hear the mechanical gears engage and it does hold the car in place.

Attempted Fixes:

I replaced the control module in the trunk located by the battery with a used model that was newer than mine. Result: Did not fix
    I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes in an attempt to reset any ECU's. Result: Did not fix
    Pulled fuses for the parking brake from the rear fuse panel. Result: Did not fix the issue
    I have entered rear brake service mode with my Autel scanner and went through the reset process for the rear brakes: Result: Did not fix
    Removed and inspected the switch in the center console for any liquid damage or corrosion on the plug (none noted)
    Re-coded back in the front drivers seat belt warning through bimmercode (one forum indicated coding out could possibly throw the auto hold fault) Result: Did not fix

I have the following Fault codes from the Autel scanner:

D3840A

4809C1

CD840A

D3AC8D

D356F5

D35B00

So short of taking it to the dealer or an Indy shop I thought I would put out here. I am sure I am not the only one who has encountered this issue. Any suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Help us to help you, for without words these fault codes are just Alpha-Numeric, and mean nothing.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Correct. You may as well be speaking Latin. Always post the fault code numbers with the descriptions.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Also, switch failure is possible even without having had something spilled in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    13' 535i, 03' 540-M Sprt
    Here is the descriptions associated with the previously posted codes. Thanks for the help

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________

D3840A: EMF: Powertrain CAN communication fault (intermittent)

4809C1: DSC EMF Brake cannot be applied mechanically (Permanent) Though this fault shows, the brake does mechanically apply and hold the vehicle.

CD840A: DME PT-CAN Communication Fault (Intermittent)

D3AC8D: DSC Interface (Status Hydraulic Function 25D) Signal Invalid (Intermittent)

D356F5: No Message (status Seat belt contact seat occupancy 275.6.8) receiver DSC transmitter ACSM (Intermittent)

D35B00: No Message (Request hydraulic function 100.1.2) receiver DSC Transmitter EMF (Intermittent)

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would say the only code is the 4809C1 that would apply to your braking issue. So the first thing I would do is remove each caliper, to see if they are frozen, locked, or binding. Also inspect the connector for the electrical portion on the caliper, ensure it is clean and connected properly.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW F10 520d LCI
    Quote Originally Posted by oppr046 View Post
    Hello, I have searched relentlessly for the cause of the following.

Vehicle:
    2013 BMW 535i M-Sport 93K

Issue:
    While driving the vehicle intermittently I will get the Parking Brake Malfunction message on the iDrive screen. You can click OK and it will go off and stay off but then at times it comes right back on sometimes at 5-10 second intervals for 5-10 minutes. I am also getting the Auto Hold malfunction message randomly as well.

The parking brake seems to mechanically work fine. When it is applied you can hear the mechanical gears engage and it does hold the car in place.

Attempted Fixes:

I replaced the control module in the trunk located by the battery with a used model that was newer than mine. Result: Did not fix
    I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes in an attempt to reset any ECU's. Result: Did not fix
    Pulled fuses for the parking brake from the rear fuse panel. Result: Did not fix the issue
    I have entered rear brake service mode with my Autel scanner and went through the reset process for the rear brakes: Result: Did not fix
    Removed and inspected the switch in the center console for any liquid damage or corrosion on the plug (none noted)
    Re-coded back in the front drivers seat belt warning through bimmercode (one forum indicated coding out could possibly throw the auto hold fault) Result: Did not fix

I have the following Fault codes from the Autel scanner:

D3840A

4809C1

CD840A

D3AC8D

D356F5

D35B00

So short of taking it to the dealer or an Indy shop I thought I would put out here. I am sure I am not the only one who has encountered this issue. Any suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hello,
    have you ever found solution for this problem?
    I have same on my F10 520d LCI for last couple of days when I started from parking, one hour before everything was perfect.
    Problem started with parking brake and Auto hold error, continues with ABS, DSC, transmission, powertrain errors etc during the driving.
    I tried to change battery, inspected parking brake actuators on calipers, changed brake fluid, checked fuses, tested all possible components on the car by ISTA and nothing helps.
    Two days ago after all that attempts erros was gone and I drove about 80kms without problems but suddenly everything lights up on dashboard and nightmare continued.

Dashboard goes crazy with multiple errors while driving but when standing still on traffic light errors dissapear and throws message "secure vechicle from rolling" like gearbox is in N but its in D.
    Voltage seems fine, battery is good, 12.1V after one day not driving, in driving voltage is 13.7 so alternator is working OK.

Do someone have any idea what to try next?

Errors:
    CF040A EGS: Powertrain CAN: Line fault/electrical fault
    E0840A Gear selector switch PT-CAN: Communication fault
    4809C1 DSC: EMF: brake cannot be applied mechanically
    CD840A DDE, PT-CAN: Communication fault

+ many more and anything is existend when car is parked.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Looks like to me you have a lot of CAN errors, which would tell me you have crossed or bad wiring in the car. I would have to say that it might be from an animal chewing on lines and is causing all this. So you will need to start with a good wiring diagram, and then follow the wires looking for the bad ones. Also bad connections can cause those errors too.

Wiring diagram: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 520 2015
    Hi, have u solved your issue? it sounds just like mine.. went to local bmw dealer they have no idea whats wrong with it..

My Cars
    BMW 5 f11 525xd
    I have the same problem but I think it is gonna happening only when auto-hold is activated, please help ! Any ideas ?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeZip View Post
    I have the same problem but I think it is gonna happening only when auto-hold is activated, please help ! Any ideas ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edvinas2 View Post
    Hi, have u solved your issue? it sounds just like mine.. went to local bmw dealer they have no idea whats wrong with it..
    Have any of you gents did what's in post #6?
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 5 f11 525xd
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Have any of you gents did what's in post #6?
    My problem was: burned Engine Wiring Harness 12518514877 on section located next to the turbo (who design that ?!!! )
    Problem solved so all of you having this issue or similar start from checking that wires.

IMG_3004.jpeg
    Last edited by GeorgeZip; 02-05-2020 at 04:08 AM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW E90 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by iduvnjak036 View Post
    Hello,
    have you ever found solution for this problem?
    I have same on my F10 520d LCI for last couple of days when I started from parking, one hour before everything was perfect.
    Problem started with parking brake and Auto hold error, continues with ABS, DSC, transmission, powertrain errors etc during the driving.
    I tried to change battery, inspected parking brake actuators on calipers, changed brake fluid, checked fuses, tested all possible components on the car by ISTA and nothing helps.
    Two days ago after all that attempts erros was gone and I drove about 80kms without problems but suddenly everything lights up on dashboard and nightmare continued.

Dashboard goes crazy with multiple errors while driving but when standing still on traffic light errors dissapear and throws message "secure vechicle from rolling" like gearbox is in N but its in D.
    Voltage seems fine, battery is good, 12.1V after one day not driving, in driving voltage is 13.7 so alternator is working OK.

Do someone have any idea what to try next?

Errors:
    CF040A EGS: Powertrain CAN: Line fault/electrical fault
    E0840A Gear selector switch PT-CAN: Communication fault
    4809C1 DSC: EMF: brake cannot be applied mechanically
    CD840A DDE, PT-CAN: Communication fault

+ many more and anything is existend when car is parked.
    Hi dear friend,

I have same problem.Did you fix the problem?

My Cars
    BMW F11 520D 2014 LCI
    Hello BMW fans !
    I have also an error on my BMW F11 LCI, on electronic handbrake.
    4805FA - actuator temperature sensor too large deviation.
    Does anybody how to solve this issue ?
    Or where is located temperature sensor/actuator ?

Thank you !

My Cars
    BMW F10 520D 2011
    My problem was: burned Engine Wiring Harness 12518514877 on section located next to the turbo (who design that ?!!! )
    Problem solved so all of you having this issue or similar start from checking that wires.

IMG_3004.jpeg
    Hello! Sorry for ressurecting old thread! I have the exact same problems and I know some wires have melted there, did you just re-isolate or change everything, and if so what was the cost?

My Cars
    2013 BMW 528xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by mylanezu View Post
    Hello BMW fans !
    I have also an error on my BMW F11 LCI, on electronic handbrake.
    4805FA - actuator temperature sensor too large deviation.
    Does anybody how to solve this issue ?
    Or where is located temperature sensor/actuator ?

Thank you !

Did you find the solution?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    If you get the car connected to ISTA (BMW's diagnostic computer system), it will not only do a test plan for the code, it will show you exactly where every associated component lives, just by clicking on that component in the provided wiring diagram.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471