Thread: e36 M3 ls swap kit questions

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Cosmos Black

e36 M3 ls swap kit questions

Hi. So I recently got a auto M3 for $500 that I dragged out of a guys side driveway that lives near me. The car is in pretty good shape except some rust on the rear quarter panels. It hadn’t been run in 2 years but started right up with a new battery. Anyone want a s52? I won’t need it soon. Anyway I basically did a full suspension refresh, Billstien PSS9s, every bushing In the rear end, control arms, tie rods, solid front control arm bushings etc. Now I’m trying to decide what kit I should use to swap a ls into it I’m really trying to decide between the Sikky kit and the Vorshlag kit does anyone have any input on which they like better? Mount/ header fittment etc. I’m probobly going to swap In a ls2 or ls3 crate engine with a T56 magnum. Also do I really need to upgrade to a 210mm rear diff or is the stock lsd good enough for now? Car has 164k with somewhat sketchy maintence history (I don’t think a single bushing was changed for the life of the car).

Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    All your questions are found in this forum!

Kit: We used Chuck's Super Tubes and Mounts - OEM rubber isolators are the key!

May find a few answers here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...or-with-LS-T56

Pictures always get more attention.

Good Luck!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I am in the process of doing a swap using the Sikky kit and was between the same two you are. Now that I have the swap kit in my possession the parts appear to be well built and designed, however, and this is a big however. The motor mounts are machined from billet but they are two pieces, it looks like Sikky uses a standard mount plate for the engine side which is then bolted to a model specific mounting arm. This makes sense to streamline their design and manufacturing processes but their advertising is a bit deceptive. This is not a deal breaker for me but I will be monitoring the mounts to make sure they do not come loose once the car is up and running.

At the end of the day both kits have been proven in race/drift applications so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    new age hot rods are nice, sikky's are nice. I would avoid vorshlag due to terrible communication from my experience.

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Cosmos Black
    What exactly do you mean a standard mount plate? Like one that’s stock on GM cars that bolts into the engine block or something different?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by drew.carlson01 View Post
    What exactly do you mean a standard mount plate? Like one that’s stock on GM cars that bolts into the engine block or something different?
    The base of their mount appears to be a standard piece that they manufacture to bolt to the LSx engines, they then make different arms that mount to a specific chassis (E36, E46, S14, etc) and bolt the two pieces together see the picture below where I visually explain this.

I am a bit frustrated by this only because they specifically state on their website that they are solid mounts, while both pieces are machined from solid billets of aluminium the complete mount is not a single piece which is what I interpreted from their description. I wanted a solid mount as opposed to Vorshlag's fabricated piece since you do not have to worry about how "on" the welder was on the day he welded up the mount.

It will most likely be fine, and I'm sure you can't go wrong with either, just providing first hand observations from someone who is a few steps ahead of you in the process.

Capture.PNG
    sikky mount pic.jpg

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Obviously depends on they intended use...if noise/vibration is an issue.

An OEM NVH is the result of these:

And fit like OEM with no issue on the tubular exhaust - 1 7/8 primaries:

Good Luck!

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Cosmos Black
    Did you buy the sikky headers and steering shaft? If you did do you have any issues with fittment I was reading on some forums that their a pain to get installed.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by drew.carlson01 View Post
    Did you buy the sikky headers and steering shaft? If you did do you have any issues with fittment I was reading on some forums that their a pain to get installed.
    I haven't gotten that far yet, but I did bolt the engine in yesterday to mock up hoses and lines and it does look quite tight on the driver side. I'm going to be running the Chase Bays brake booster eliminator and no ABS so that should hopefully free up some additional space.