Thread: Question regarding engine core - N55 replacement after rod knock (85k miles)

My Cars
    A few

Question Question regarding engine core - N55 replacement after rod knock (85k miles)

Hello, I'd like to ask some input from you,

I've recently had my N55 engine replaced after only 85K miles. The engine developed a rod-knock and was promptly towed to the dealership and back after the diagnosis. I purchased a re-manufactured engine from a company (I'm going to leave out their name for the time being but may update later * update 5/3/2019 - Ghassan Automtive in Stillwater, Oklahoma) that charged me $4k for a rebuilt engine, and $1500 for a core charge (plus shipping both ways). I received the engine and had a local dealer install it. The core was picked up and they have had it back for over a month now. I am having issues with them regarding the core refund. Initially, was told that the core "really wasn't savable" and I have asked for further explanation, but haven't received any responses, calls, or texts back regarding the issue other than "they will contact me later". They keep delaying.

I am curious, can an engine that was running absolutely fine with 85K miles (no stumbles, no codes, etc) which developed a rod knock and was towed to the dealership have so much damage that cannot be "savable" or "rebuildable" by core-return standards? I can totally understand if a rod punched through an engine block, that makes sense, but this engine was running fine at removal and I was told it was just the #6 cylinder bearing that developed the knock. Engine rebuilding would typically encompass new bearings, rods, etc at the least if needed so I am left curious why my $1500 core charge is not being returned, or is this just another way to get a little more $ out of people?

The rebuilt engine has been fine so far (1.5 months) and I don't have any other issues with this company up until this but figured I would ask those of you with engine rebuilding (or core) experiences.

Thanks in advance.

*edit - I have added the company name on 5/3/19 because to date, I have not received my core refund and now he has gone dark. My original purchase date was 2/5/19.
    Last edited by SehrSchnell; 05-03-2019 at 02:50 PM.

My Cars
    BMW refunds core charges even when a rod does punch a hole in it. But seems like this company wants a rebuildable engine.

The main issue is that when an engine spins a rod bearing, the crank is usually destroyed. Hard to say whether or not the crank can be saved.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Seems like the company is not being straight about the core money, even if the crank was bad you can weld it and Remachine it

My Cars
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    BMW refunds core charges even when a rod does punch a hole in it. But seems like this company wants a rebuildable engine.

The main issue is that when an engine spins a rod bearing, the crank is usually destroyed. Hard to say whether or not the crank can be saved.
    Agreed. I've never experienced a core having that bad of an issue, especially given the circumstances surrounding this particular situation. If the crank is that bad (which he is saying it is), I am hopeful at least we can come to some decent terms.

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Seems like the company is not being straight about the core money, even if the crank was bad you can weld it and Remachine it
    Indeed. He did mention it contained micro-cracks, which the machined, then welded, and machined again but ultimately, it failed and was not salvageable. With the exception of the crank and #6 rod, everything else (block, head, etc) was fine. I just think it's unreasonable to not return any bit of the core.

It's been over a month and a half now. He asked that I reach out to him at the end of this month to discuss further (which is frustrating by itself). I was happy with his initial communication prior to the purchase and have been happy the engine so far but this kinda of lack of follow-up at the end leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the input you two.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    It depends on the specific core-return policy of the place that sold you the motor. But in my book, if you send back your old engine and all of the parts are present and accounted for, you should be getting a full refund of the core deposit. His business is rebuilding the engines and selling them for a profit. The core return process is supposed to guarantee a steady stream of product, not finance the operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If it is damaged, it is worth less or maybe even worthless. A rod knock engine may well be one if the two.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I have never heard of a core charge being docked because of a rod knock with any of our aftermarket suppliers. A hole blown in the block is a half-core for sure, but the crank is the only thing potentially unusable in this scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you have a relationship with rebuilt engine suppliers because you give them regular business they probably won’t hassle you as much as a one time buyer if there is an issue with the core.

My Cars
    A few
    Well, it is has been almost three months to date that I have made a transaction with this shop in Oklahoma, and the owner has put off returning my core (or any part of it) for months now. I'm officially out of patience and will proceed to do what I can legally to have this rectified.

Ghassan Automotive (www.ghassanautomotive.com) in Stillwater, Oklahoma is the shop. My reman'd engine has been great (so far, knock on wood), the whole core thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

*edit - 1 hour later after filing a complaint, I finally received a "partial" core refund.
    Last edited by SehrSchnell; 05-03-2019 at 04:18 PM.