Thread: Strut Leaking.

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3

Strut Leaking.

Greetings from Memphis TN! got a 2002 BMW Z3 3.0 have the original Sachs struts on the front. I figured these were gas struts but my right strut seem to be leaking red fluid and it has gotten on the control arm a decent amount, and those rubbers on the control arm are already pretty old. Can these struts leak, and is the fluid red? I'm looking to replace the strut. Should I also replace the whole control arm too? Any insight would be great.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    no doubt mine did 12 years and 95k miles ago, most switch to Koni or Bilstein, me the latter - they are still fine, they last while Sachs don't.

Yes probably a good time to replace control arms - and front control arm consider poly there like Powerflex.
    Last edited by ZGator; 04-16-2019 at 06:26 PM.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    The fluid is what provides the damping.

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3
    Hey BladeRunner, you have replied to a lot of my post before. This is random but any idea how hard it is to replace a oil pan gasket on a Z3 3.0? Or info on how to do it?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe458 View Post
    Hey BladeRunner, you have replied to a lot of my post before. This is random but any idea how hard it is to replace a oil pan gasket on a Z3 3.0? Or info on how to do it?
    Before replacing the oil pan gskt__which you have to support the engine and lower the front suspension to do__I'd recommended replacing the gasket for the oil filter housing, where it attaches to the engine block. MUCH EASIER to do, and 90% likely that is the source of your oil leak (somewhat common).

If it was me doing it__and I've done several__I'd powerwash the top & bottom of the engine compartment ahead of time. Makes it a lot nicer to work on, without threat of introducing dirt/debris into the engine, and you'll know soon afterwards if you're successful.

As for the strut, the stock ones (on the M-versions) rarely lasted more than 40k miles, and were more robust. Personally, I'd recommend Koni shocks (handle MUCH BETTER than stock, and I feel the ride is more comfortable too. If going with Bilsteins, I'd suggest their Touring (or stock replacement shocks/struts) as their Sport or HD units are significantly harsher than stock.

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Before replacing the oil pan gskt__which you have to support the engine and lower the front suspension to do__I'd recommended replacing the gasket for the oil filter housing, where it attaches to the engine block. MUCH EASIER to do, and 90% likely that is the source of your oil leak (somewhat common).

If it was me doing it__and I've done several__I'd powerwash the top & bottom of the engine compartment ahead of time. Makes it a lot nicer to work on, without threat of introducing dirt/debris into the engine, and you'll know soon afterwards if you're successful.

As for the strut, the stock ones (on the M-versions) rarely lasted more than 40k miles, and were more robust. Personally, I'd recommend Koni shocks (handle MUCH BETTER than stock, and I feel the ride is more comfortable too. If going with Bilsteins, I'd suggest their Touring (or stock replacement shocks/struts) as their Sport or HD units are significantly harsher than stock.
    Thanks for the good info Forbes. I went with the Bilstiens for struts. As for the gasket I'm gonna wash it underneath and drive it for a bit and see if I can confirm where it's coming from. Really don't wanna have to replace the oil pas gasket if I don't have too. But it sure looks like the oil pan is leaking. Hope your right and is the Oil Filter housing leaking. If it's leaking from there, does it drip down and appear to look like the pan gasket is leaking?

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    My struts are still OE and not leaking at about 53K miles. However, single tube gas charged struts can and do leak a little oil over time. My gas shocks on my Corvette were always a little wet on the shaft and general consensus at the time (2000) said that was normal.

Question, has anyone recently tried KYBs? I replaced my Bilsteins on the Vette with KYBs and was very pleased with the result. They weren’t struts of course, but as shocks they did a great job and were less than 1/2 the cost of other top brands at the time. That was almost 20 years ago though, so things probably have changed.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0, '73 450 SL
    If it's leaking from there, does it drip down and appear to look like the pan gasket is leaking?
    A leak at the oil filter housing gasket causes oil to blow back all over the place. I thought I had a leak at the pan also; recently replaced the OFHG and all is well. I did a VANOS repair at the same time which calls for a new valve cover gasket. In my case, both gaskets were like hard candy - the new ones were soft and pliable. My engine is clean now and easy to see that the oil pan is sealed.
    Brad Cushman
    2002 Z3 3.0
    1973 450 SL
    1967 Camaro SS/RS