Thread: Craigslist find - looking for advice

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i

Craigslist find - looking for advice

Hey folks,

Long time E21 owner here. I’ve really been looking to get into an E36/46 M3 and recently found a ‘98 on craigslist. I’m curious what people have to say about the car itself and list of parts.

My Dad’s concern is all the work that’s been done to it and it ending up being a nightmare for me. He’s especially worried about the coil overs, both in quality and ride value. The guy no longer has the stock parts.

I’m curious what others have to say that have dealt with these cars and might know more about the work that’s been done

Thanks
    Last edited by GRiMeRz; 04-16-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    Bmw Z3 2.8
    I wouldn’t worry about the KW coilovers, pretty common and good value for money. They got alot of the common maintenance items out of the way.(vanos, water pump, thermostat housing, radiator). Dont know much about the motoria exhaust. Dont think it has traction control anymore(the throttle body mod). Seems like good value for 9k with all the extra goodies, except that tear in the drivers seat.

My Cars
    99 Dakar M3
    Yeah KW Coilovers are great quality. I think that looks like a fantastic deal...barring any surprises like accidents or something like that.

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i
    Yeah, definitely not thrilled about the seat tear.. My E21s recaros need some help as well.

My Cars
    are slow.
    I absolutely hate the blue HID's and the headlight tint, but other than that, it looks like a nice car.

What's the issue with KW-V2 coil overs? They are 1500 new... They are awesome coil overs. FAR better than BC racing or anything of the like. They are awesome on the street and track.

Seats are a dime a dozen. Easy to replace and not expensive unless you want to go with a high end model.

Easily looks like one of the cleaner E36 M3's I've seen on craigslist recently. Most of them being sold today shouldn't be on the road. I would take it for a test drive, take it to a BMW shop and have them do a pre-purchase inspection. Check for leaks, etc.

Most of those mods are well done, and proper modifications. Not cheap. They are likely on a list of things to do yourself, so someone did it for you. It seems like most potential problems have been taken care of though.

Not many E36's with less than 100k miles these days.
    Last edited by Hova; 04-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    KW is a legitimate brand and their products are great. Its hard to find an unmolested E36 M3 these days, those are being listed on BaT for more money.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by GRiMeRz View Post
    Hey folks,

Long time E21 owner here. I’ve really been looking to get into an E36/46 M3 and recently found a ‘98 on craigslist. I’m curious what people have to say about the car itself and list of parts.

My Dad’s concern is all the work that’s been done to it and it ending up being a nightmare for me. He’s especially worried about the coil overs, both in quality and ride value. The guy no longer has the stock parts.

I’m curious what others have to say that have dealt with these cars and might know more about the work that’s been done

Thanks
    Looks like you deleted the listing - I don't blame you.

From reading the other comments it seems you've found a car with less than 100k for less than $10k, with the "normal" mods / upkeep.

If that's all true and it doesn't have hail damage or some other atrocious problem, that's a screaming deal. You should see what well-maintained cars with sub-100k are going for on BaT.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Looks like you deleted the listing - I don't blame you.

From reading the other comments it seems you've found a car with less than 100k for less than $10k, with the "normal" mods / upkeep.

If that's all true and it doesn't have hail damage or some other atrocious problem, that's a screaming deal. You should see what well-maintained cars with sub-100k are going for on BaT.

This.

Really any well maintained E36 M3 is going to get a decent dollar figure these days. I've seen a lot of garbage cars for sale. They might look great in photos, but man when you see them in person, and have been around E36's for a while, the problems stand out like a sore thumb.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President