Thread: Steering Shake

My Cars
    1996 328i

Steering Shake

This is a history of modifications done to my 1996 BMW 328i since fall of 2018. Vibration in the steering has been difficult to diagnose and resolve. It is noticeable at speeds of 60 mph and higher.I haven’t been able to figure out what is causing this minor shaking I have in the steering. It begins to be noticeable at about 60 mph but doesn’t get terrible. I would just ignore it, but i want to enjoy driving this car, and driving it hard. Maybe someone around here can give me some better ideas of what to do.

October 2018
    Replaced OEM 15x7 ET41wheels. (no steering shake was ever noted running with the 15” wheels)
    Replacement wheels sized 17x7 47mm offset from 2001 325xi. 225/45/17 mismatched old tires were already mounted.

November 2018

330i front brake calipers and rotors(Ate/OEM)
    325xi rear brake calipers and rotors (Ate/OEM)
    New brake pads front and rear (Hawk HPS)
    Custom fabricated parking brake shoes
    Stainless steel braided brake hoses (Turner)
    E36 M3 master cylinder (Centric)

December 2018

front control arm bushings (Powerflex)
    New front control arms
    New rear lower outer poly bushings (Powerflex)
    New rear upper outer ball joints (Lemforder)
    New rear trailing arm bushings, rubber (Meyle HD)
    Steering wheel noted to be shaking at speeds over 60 mph. This condition may have existed before this point. It’s unclear when it started.

late December 2018

New tires mounted and balanced on 17” wheels.
    Tried mounting spare at each corner in turn to identify an out of balance wheel. None seemed makedly better or worse than others.

March 2019

New front coil-over struts and caster-camber plates (Bilstein PSS9 B16 & Vorshlag camber-caster plates)
    New rear springs and adjust able perches (Bilstein PSS9 B16)
    Tie rods appear tight and in good condition.
    Steering shake persists

April 2019

Car taken to shop. Diagnosed as having bent wheels.
    New wheels, cast aluminum wheels sized17x7.5 with 42mm offset; tires mounted and balanced.
    Steering shake persists.
    LF brake is dragging slightly. I suspect caliper pins need to be replaced.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Sounds like left front caliper needs a rebuild. Shake can be caused by sticky/stuck caliper overheating rotor causing shake as rotor heats and pads catch high spots on rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 328i
    If it's a brake drag issue, would you expect vibration/pulsation in the pedal when braking? I have none of that.

Thanks.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I wish I had some good news for you, but there is literally a never ending thread about the E36 steering wheel shimmy.....most people will swear by the tire balance...I hope you track down the main culprit. I have replaced EVERYTHING in the front suspension, brakes, wheels....I have a new steering rack ready to go in as the last thing I'm going to try.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    E36 325is
    For me this was the control arm bushing. For you, dude all you got left is the steering rack/pump... I mean what else is there? Replace the tie rod end links... You can get them for like $7 each (Uro garbage but they work)
    Last edited by FiberFast; 04-16-2019 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3

Steering Shake

Ya, what brands did you use during your replacement process?
    For instance what OEM rotors did you use?

Last edited by bluptgm3; 04-16-2019 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Ya, what brands did you use during your replacement process?
    For instance what OEM rotors did you use?

Originally used the bav auto rebuild kit with the spherical ball inner connector (Awesome makes life way easier) but then my dumbass went and hit one with a hammer instead of popping in with a pully puller so i got a new set of Uro brands and threw them on. Probably wont last but for less than $20 at rockauto.com you can find out. My bet is either a worn/chipped rack, shot steering bushing (The one that connects the two steering shafts together) Or the tie rod/steering end link is shot. I would start with the endlink/tie rod kit on bav auto, I think its like $38. After that check/replace the bushing in the steering wheel spline shaft, if that don't do it get a Z3 steering rack.
    Edit: Have you check the wheel bearings? Any movement there?
    Last edited by FiberFast; 04-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Now, I've never dealt with this specific issue on an e36 before, but I did have the exact same issue in my 05 WRX for a while. Started at exactly 60 mph as you're describing. Since then, I have taken it off of daily duty and it underwent the knife big time. I'm talking full rebuild from the ground up. I haven't gotten to test if I have resolved this issue on the scoobaru, but I did find and fix one thing that I believe was the culprit. It was a rubber insert fitted around the steering column as it runs through the firewall. I am unaware if this is present on the e36, but it's worth noting. If you want my advice, it sounds like you're gonna need to diagnose this yourself. A shop is not going to give it the attention to detail you need, so I would start at the wheels and work your way all the way up to the steering wheel itself. Off the top of my head, this is the order I'd follow. Tires (check for uneven wear), rims (already replaced apparently so skip), steering knuckle (pay special attention to all points in which the knuckle could've potentially bent, even a bend barely noticeable to the naked eye where the tie rod connects could definitely cause the symptoms you're describing), wheel bearings, tie rod assembly, steering rack itself, steering coupler, steering column rubber insert thing, steering column. The most important thing is to watch out for any bends in any metal parts. Just my two cents.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    WINNER!
    Worn out front caliper bushings were causing the caliper to bind and release, resulting in vibration.

- - - Updated - - -

Worn out front caliper bushings were causing the caliper to bind and release, resulting in vibration.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Happy for you! Unfortunately for me, I have Stoptech bbk and i rebuilt my calipers, replaced rotors ($600! For 2!!) and while that fixed my vibration while braking, it did not fix my vibration between 60-75 mph....still need to install steering rack!

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy79 View Post
    WINNER!

- - - Updated - - -

Those are the guide pin bushings yes? That makes sense. I just rebuilt mine and was looking at the brass bushing ecs offers. I may make this upgrade in the future. For a few bucks, seems like a worthwhile upgrade after hearing your troubles.
    $38.00, what do they look like? Close your eyes and believe...
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bavarian-autosport-parts/brake-caliper-guide-bushing-set/bcgb~bav/
    Last edited by FiberFast; 04-27-2019 at 07:46 PM.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Went throught the exact same thing. After new arms, tie rods, rack, bearings, wheels, balanced wheel spacers, alignments, struts,.... I found the 330bbk had a partially siezed guid pin. Just 1. So the brake wouldnt sieze open or closed, but shimmy the wheel like a mofo when braking and not pull the car either direction.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I am happy to report that a new rack, finally, took care of this issue for me. I went to the ZHP rack and it feels amazing. I don't know when my rack when back, but it just feel so loose compared to my new rack. I'm sure if I replaced it with a refurbished E36 M3 rack, it would have felt great too....the drive feels amazing and makes me love getting back behind the wheel again!

My Cars
    99 M3

Steering Shake

Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    Those are the guide pin bushings yes? That makes sense. I just rebuilt mine and was looking at the brass bushing ecs offers. I may make this upgrade in the future. For a few bucks, seems like a worthwhile upgrade after hearing your troubles.
    $38.00, what do they look like? Close your eyes and believe...
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bavarian-autosport-parts/brake-caliper-guide-bushing-set/bcgb~bav/
    So those are the BavAuto branded items that ECS picked up, probably at fire sale pricing.
    ECS does have their own set, though I have heard that people have difficulty installing these because of the O-Ring seal on the guide pin.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...SABEgJ9PfD_BwE

These however utilize the factory guide pins - https://store.garagistic.com/Brass-B...SABEgITcvD_BwE

Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-04-2019 at 05:58 PM.