Thread: timing and vanos tools

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3

timing and vanos tools

Has anyone used the cheap tool sets available on amazon or it it smarter to pay extra from one of the supporting vendors?

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSTX17 View Post
    Has anyone used the cheap tool sets available on amazon or it it smarter to pay extra from one of the supporting vendors?

See my sig.

The quality of the tool really doesn't matter. You could use a piece of flat bar and c-clamps if you wanted to. The cams just need to be flat on the back relative to the head and parallel with each other.

I can rent you the actual tools if you'd like as well, but really they are $40 to buy. Just grab a set:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M54-M52....c100677.m4598
    Last edited by Hova; 04-15-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Similar experience to Hova. I used this sprocket tool (similar ones are listed), and this camshaft locking set that I picked up from eBay. Everything fit just fine. Hova's link looks good and it comes with the sprocket tool already.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    I bought mine from eBay as well. Baum Tools.

They've been used multiple times, no issues and definitely saved me a lot of money by being able to service the VANOS at home.

My Cars
    are slow.
    You should consider getting the VANOS air tester as well if you have an air compressor. It's the right way to do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Vanos-T...-/121512914395

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angrrw9TaRc

If you don't have an air compressor to do the test, you could go just use the VANOS wrench and measure the distance, but again it's not the proper way to test and assemble it.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Where are their instructions on how to perform the vanos test if I were to buy that tool? I have a small $100 compressor that I use just to fill up my tires, would that be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    You should consider getting the VANOS air tester as well if you have an air compressor. It's the right way to do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Vanos-T...-/121512914395

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angrrw9TaRc

If you don't have an air compressor to do the test, you could go just use the VANOS wrench and measure the distance, but again it's not the proper way to test and assemble it.

My Cars
    00 Maxima SE
    Quote Originally Posted by DSTX17 View Post
    Where are their instructions on how to perform the vanos test if I were to buy that tool? I have a small $100 compressor that I use just to fill up my tires, would that be sufficient?
    You’d fine with small compressor. I didn’t mine with small 1gal compressor. You might not be able to do multiple runs
    but all you need is to actuate the Vanos and do the delta measurement before and after actuation. You do need a way to power the selenoid though.
    FEEDBACK THREAD
    00-03 Nissan Maxima HID Retrofit
    6th gen AV6 FX35 Retrofit
    Chassis and Suspension
    2011 Space Grey E82 N55 DCT
    2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima SE 5Spd.
    1997 Arctic Silver E36 M3/4/5.
    1997 Techno Violet E36 M3 Coupe 5Spd (SOLD).

My Cars
    11 128i
    I bought the $45 set of timing tools from Amazon seller Aurelio Tech. They ended up working correctly but there was one issue with the cam blocks where the intake side block was not level fore to aft.

While the block was actually sitting flush on the head, the forward edge appeared to be not contacting the head. When I placed the exhaust side block on the intake cam, without moving anything else, the block was flat against the head. Found that a feeler gauge would only slide 1/3 of the way towards the rear where the timing block was then in contact with the head. Checking it against a different flat surface and I could see the forward edge of the block was not machined flat like the rest of it.

Once I knew that I was less worried but at first it confused the heck out of me.
    11 128i Space Gray slicktop
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    N/A
    Just a warning that the set of eBay tools that I got were machined horribly and one side was loose enough for a few degrees of play while I had to file the other one down because it didn't fit over the cam square.