Thread: E32 side mirrors interchangeability, PLEASE HELP

My Cars
    BMW 730 E32 1987

Unhappy E32 side mirrors interchangeability, PLEASE HELP

Hello, I hope that some e32 genius on this forum could help me with knowledge.
    I have a BMW E32 730i 1987 that i recently purchased. I have a problem with my side mirrors, the don´t move when I use the switch to move them. The passenger side mirror don´t tilt too when I put reverse.
    Ok so I found out that the originals side mirrors were stolen to the old owner (and I mean the entire side mirrors, not only the glass, the whole part), so he bought a pair of side mirrors from a junkyard E32.
    After knowing this, I took off the both glasses of my side mirrors and I realized that both movement motors were broken, BINGO.
    So here are my questions: I know that some E32 came from factory with memory seat module and memory mirrors, MINE DIDN´T.
    I have a friend who is trying to sell me his E32 1987 side mirrors but his car came from factory with memory module, thus, the mirrors are memory mirrors too I suppose.
    ¿Would those side mirrors fit my E32? ¿Would they electrically work?
    ¿Would I have to replace the movement switch? I just want them to be plug and play so I could move my mirrors, I don´t want to retrofit and make a memory mirror upgrade.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    Good question, but I am pretty sure they will work. Basically the memory module is just positioning the mirrors based on motor position. The mirrors themselves do not have a separate module to control their position. The mirrors are not too difficult to remove, if anything bring one over and swap it and see what happens.

My Cars
    BMW 730 E32 1987
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    Good question, but I am pretty sure they will work. Basically the memory module is just positioning the mirrors based on motor position. The mirrors themselves do not have a separate module to control their position. The mirrors are not too difficult to remove, if anything bring one over and swap it and see what happens.
    Thanks for your reply! I'm really needing some help with this car because there is no a lot of info on the web. I'm thinking that this is what I have to do, bring one over and try to swap it and just test it by myself.
    But maybe someone has a first person experience or knowledge about that, I mean, after trying it by myself. I'm just praying for the god SHOGUN will see my post and illuminates my path haha

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    you can buy the parts inside only, see www.realoem.com Mirrors from E32 with seat memory do not fit, inside the motors are completely different and more wires and a different switch and plug.
    Nr. 10 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...78#51161964158
    looks like used in many BMW http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=51161394107
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    ¡They are not interchangeable! As Shogun said, they have different drives and different switches. The drives for cars without seat memory have one motor and a gear mechanism to switch between up/down and left/right. These drives are attached to the base plate with four bolts. The drives for cars with seat memory have two motors, one for up/down and one for left/right. These drives are attached with three bolts in a different pattern. The plugs have the same basic design, but non-memory cars have only four pins whereas memory cars use all ten pins.

Replacing the drive is not too difficult. Requires soldering, though.

My Cars
    BMW 730 E32 1987
    Quote Originally Posted by kce1900 View Post
    ¡They are not interchangeable! As Shogun said, they have different drives and different switches. The drives for cars without seat memory have one motor and a gear mechanism to switch between up/down and left/right. These drives are attached to the base plate with four bolts. The drives for cars with seat memory have two motors, one for up/down and one for left/right. These drives are attached with three bolts in a different pattern. The plugs have the same basic design, but non-memory cars have only four pins whereas memory cars use all ten pins.

Replacing the drive is not too difficult. Requires soldering, though.
    thank you guys you are awesome! really appreciate your replies.