Thread: Transport - FL to NC

My Cars
    1987 M6, 2014 M5

Transport - FL to NC

Seems like one of these comes up every 2 years in this forum. Apologies for starting a new thread.

I have an E24 M6 and an F10 M5. Moving 821 miles from Miami to Raleigh.

From searches, Intercity and Dependable Auto Shippers seem to have good reps given where I am.

Anyone "East Coast" with experience here? Any likelihood of a 2-car discount? As much fun as it would be to take the M5 for a 12 hour drive, logistically it will be easier if everyone is in one car (me, wife, 2 year old, and puppy).

Any tips on prep? Must do's/don't do's? I've read about enclosed and requesting being up top.

Thanks in advance.

Will
    BigBilly
    1987 M6 Cinnabar Red (I think) / 2014 M5 Alpine White / 1998 328iC - sold
    Hey everybody - it's been a while. Glad to see BF.com is still thriving.
    Any pointers on care and feeding of an E24 are appreciated.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Will - Greetings from another Raleigh-area guy!

When are you planning to bring the cars up?

My Cars
    1987 M6, 2014 M5
    We've been looking at homes since last August, and finally bought in Apex in mid February, found a home across the street from my brother-in-law.

Until yesterday morning our Florida home was under contract and we were all systems go for moving out by end of month. Then the buyer flaked.

So it probably won't be until late May.
    BigBilly

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbilly View Post
    We've been looking at homes since last August, and finally bought in Apex in mid February, found a home across the street from my brother-in-law.

Until yesterday morning our Florida home was under contract and we were all systems go for moving out by end of month. Then the buyer flaked.

Awesome - I'm in Cary. Will be nice to have another Shark guy local!

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman

Awesome - I'm in Cary. Will be nice to have another Shark guy local!

Let me know when you get the quotes.

My Cars
    1987 M6, 2014 M5
    Got the quotes, looks to be about $1200, although it's not clear whether that's enclosed, upper deck, etc. Our initial home sale fell through although we're negotiating with another buyer. Likely we'll be up by June at the latest.

My M6 needs some help - has a dented fender, some rust, and the windows aren't watertight. Do you have recommendations for a good local mechanic and body shop? I'm willing to throw wrenches myself, but the individual throttle bodies can be a bit intimidating... If all this is asked/answered, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!!
    BigBilly

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Got the quotes, looks to be about $1200, although it's not clear whether that's enclosed, upper deck, etc. Our initial home sale fell through although we're negotiating with another buyer. Likely we'll be up by June at the latest.

My M6 needs some help - has a dented fender, some rust, and the windows aren't watertight. Do you have recommendations for a good local mechanic and body shop? I'm willing to throw wrenches myself, but the individual throttle bodies can be a bit intimidating... If all this is asked/answered, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!!
    I know a several in the area - happy to point you their way. Would it be possible to drive the M6 at this point or is a trailer required?

My Cars
    1969 Chevy Chevelle
    Hi Will,

Most auto transport companies do offer discounts when you ship more than 1 car because it helps carriers save time and money looking for vehicles to fill their trucks.

Some things you can do to prepare your vehicle for transport include washing your vehicle, noting any pre-existing damages, taking a few pictures, performing a mechanical inspection of breaks, battery, tires, fluid etc. Do not place personal items in the vehicle(s) - Insurance will not cover personal items only your vehicle(s).

If you opt for enclosed auto transport, your vehicle is safe in any part of the truck. If you opt for an open car shipping, you could request a top load; however, drivers have the last call on where they place your vehicle(s) and that's because they need to safely distribute the overall weight on their trailer.

Hope this info helps
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 06-04-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: removed links