Thread: Can i use stock bump stops on Koni inserts?

My Cars
    97 M3

Can i use stock bump stops on Koni inserts?

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a front suspension overhaul, I went with Koni inserts. I purchased all the parts I believed was needed. Will make a trip to the dealership on Monday for some single use nuts/ bolts I missed.
    So i'm reassembling the strut with the koni's installed but am wondering if I need to buy Bump stops from Koni as these stock ones don't fit down the thinker shaft of the damper.
    Am I missing something here? Am I having a nimrod moment? Do I need to hit it with my purse?

Cheers.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Nevermind. Wrong bump stops were sent.

Cheers

My Cars
    99 M3
    As I Recall, I’ve installed the Bump Stop and the related Dust Shield on both my E36M3s with Koni ‘Cut-n-Gut’ installation.
    Use Lesli Exhaust Cut Off Tool 31500 for cutting off the top of old Strut just below the crimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Absolutely you can use the stock bumpstops with the Konis. I am. If you're lowering though, you may want to trim them.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    After ten years of running bilsteins I'm finally switching - just bought a set of konis. I've carted my original struts around for ten years - 6 different houses, figuring I'd use them someday. That day has finally come.

What is the recommended trim for the bump stops? I've seen several numbers, not sure how much to keep (I assume you trim the bottom, not the top). They're paired with H&R Sports.

Also, I assume you use the stock dust boots as well?

My Cars
    99 M3
    I have always used stock bump stops and dust shields. I think you cut the tops.

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    i went the opposite way. i dont buy trimming koni bump stops. the only advantage i see in konis over the ride comfort argument (50% bs) is how much better they feel when finding those bump stops. if you want want that from these shocks keep them intact unless you seem to find them in your driving style. they also dont seem to last that long and they shorten themselves.....

i wont be going back to koni unless i want the dinan setup on a dd again

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
    i went the opposite way. i dont buy trimming koni bump stops. the only advantage i see in konis over the ride comfort argument (50% bs) is how much better they feel when finding those bump stops. if you want want that from these shocks keep them intact unless you seem to find them in your driving style. they also dont seem to last that long and they shorten themselves.....

i wont be going back to koni unless i want the dinan setup on a dd again
    ... so what are you using that's better?

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    The correct answer is it depends on what springs you re using. If you are using stock or the OE Sport springs, then it's fine to use the unmolested bump stop. (or cut maybe 1/2") If you are using something stupid like the Race spring on a street car, then you will likely have to trim the bump stop down to a nubbin.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    The correct answer is it depends on what springs you re using. If you are using stock or the OE Sport springs, then it's fine to use the unmolested bump stop. (or cut maybe 1/2") If you are using something stupid like the Race spring on a street car, then you will likely have to trim the bump stop down to a nubbin.
    Lol - of course I'm using Sport springs, so I'm in between OE and race.

But my question remains - trim the top or the bottom?

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Trim it where the sleeve doesn't attach (at least for the rear). I trimmed the wrong end and the real sleeve wouldn't hold on. In the front, I trimmed the flat part, with my thinking being that the cone shape is more progressive.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    ... so what are you using that's better?

its circumstantially better... not exactly better..... but the costs and basic capabilities of the old bilsteins and higher rate 60mm springs feels much better then the same setup with koni's . my setup is reliable and cheap and gets the job done. im in need of a tarmac rally setup basically. i have to drive on dirt roads and tight, rough back country PA roads with lots of elevation changes. in my use scenario i prefer the "faster" feel of the bilsteins. the only real downside is the way it feels to contact the bump stops, but on the same roads my stock jaguar sedan feels about the same. but with terrible driver confidence.

im in the JRZ camp. but as of 7/8 years ago i couldn't bring myself to spend more then the cars was worth on shocks.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Trim it where the sleeve doesn't attach (at least for the rear). I trimmed the wrong end and the real sleeve wouldn't hold on. In the front, I trimmed the flat part, with my thinking being that the cone shape is more progressive.
    Ok - yeah, that echos my thinking with the cone shaped part. Thanks!

its circumstantially better... not exactly better..... but the costs and basic capabilities of the old bilsteins and higher rate 60mm springs feels much better then the same setup with koni's . my setup is reliable and cheap and gets the job done. im in need of a tarmac rally setup basically. i have to drive on dirt roads and tight, rough back country PA roads with lots of elevation changes. in my use scenario i prefer the "faster" feel of the bilsteins. the only real downside is the way it feels to contact the bump stops, but on the same roads my stock jaguar sedan feels about the same. but with terrible driver confidence.

im in the JRZ camp. but as of 7/8 years ago i couldn't bring myself to spend more then the cars was worth on shocks.
    Aside from the fact I think they're getting that dead spot /rattle at the top of their stroke, I've never had a complaint with the Bilsteins on smooth pavement. But when it's rough...

I can't stand to be out of the car for weeks while I have my shocks rebuilt, so at least the konis will give me time to have the Bilsteins rebuilt. I haven't done this before, but assuming you can do such things, I think I'll request they trim the bump stop when they're rebuilt. That'll give me the option to try them both back- to- back and sell whichever set I don't keep.

After going from PS4Ss to RE71Rs, I can feel the suspension not quite keeping up in quick transitions anymore on my favorite twisty road. I'd like the konis - at stiff - to do a better job keeping up.

I'll follow up once I have something to share.

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Ok - yeah, that echos my thinking with the cone shaped part. Thanks!

Aside from the fact I think they're getting that dead spot /rattle at the top of their stroke, I've never had a complaint with the Bilsteins on smooth pavement. But when it's rough...

I can't stand to be out of the car for weeks while I have my shocks rebuilt, so at least the konis will give me time to have the Bilsteins rebuilt. I haven't done this before, but assuming you can do such things, I think I'll request they trim the bump stop when they're rebuilt. That'll give me the option to try them both back- to- back and sell whichever set I don't keep.

After going from PS4Ss to RE71Rs, I can feel the suspension not quite keeping up in quick transitions anymore on my favorite twisty road. I'd like the konis - at stiff - to do a better job keeping up.

I'll follow up once I have something to share.

you dont have to pay anyone to cut the bumpstops on the billsteisn. just take off the nut at the bottom of the strut and thread out the shock and the bump stop is right there. i hacked alot off of mine and theise shocks have alot of miles, not dead yet. i think my springs are 450/550 dont remember whats on the car..

I have spoken with a few rebuilders about seriously rebuilding the bilsteins. i did this in the early 2000's with a e28. proformance shock inc. was willing to take this on a few years back. i wanted to rebuild and shorten the shock rods by a substantial amount. and to take the advice of a pro to sort the compression/rebound close to where it is now but theres some egghead stuff like ride frequency and whatnot that is pure voodoo. and questionably beneficial when a batter driver can be faster backwords on a tricycle then me... there is another guy called fatcatmotorsports doing this, seems like he wants a pile of money for a service that an old guy did for me 20 years ago for beer money....

those H&R oe springs cant be very far of from the dinan springs. i think only the dinan springs are linear if im remembering correctly. this was an excellent setup, how the car should have come stock.

My Cars
    99 M3
    those H&R oe springs cant be very far of from the dinan springs. i think only the dinan springs are linear if im remembering correctly. this was an excellent setup, how the car should have come stock.
    I have both
    H&R OE Sports over Koni on wife’s M3 Sedan
    Dinan over M3 Bilstein on son’s 328

As I recall, both have about three closely pitched coils then about 3, maybe 4 widely spaced coils. Makes them progressive until the close windings get into coil bind, then they become linear.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    I have had both at different times. Both on Koni SAs. The H&Rs armed a little harsher. I tracked the car a fair amount as a bmwcca instructor. The dinans feel like stock plus... Just a little firmer. Great for street use.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    99 M3

Can i use stock bump stops on Koni inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by marcva View Post
    I have had both at different times. Both on Koni SAs. The H&Rs armed a little harsher. I tracked the car a fair amount as a bmwcca instructor. The dinans feel like stock plus... Just a little firmer. Great for street use.
    I am not sure, but it seems that both the E36 H&R OE Sports springs and E36 Dinan springs are slightly softer on initial small hits then once loaded seem to stiffen, though lowering raises the ‘roll center’ and a car lowered on softer springs can exhibit less roll due to the raised roll center, behaving as though on stiffer springs.

I looked a set set of H&R Sports today in the garage and they appear to be a linear (constant pitch) spring (except the end windings) when compared to the OE Sports that I just had off the wife’s E36 M3 Auto Sedan to replace the strut mounts. They have about three windings at one end with a much closer pitch, making them progressive or stepped.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-30-2022 at 12:28 AM.