Thread: n54 (ZF6hp) transmission bolts/XI oil pan questions:

My Cars
    2006 525xi

n54 (ZF6hp) transmission bolts/XI oil pan questions:

My main question is regarding the n54 to automatic transmission bolts. I have them all figured out I think, but I have a really long steel bolt that I marked 'passenger side" and I can't figure out if that is correct. If it's passenger side, it has to be the top right bolt above the bracket for downpipes. But comparing the amount of material, it seems like it would be too long...

Otherwise, if anyone knows about the XI/AWD oil pan.... OK so it's kind of dumb, because it's probably costing the same time that I saved by not removing the axles... but I removed sub frame and lowered oil pan with axles still attached. I'm trying to bolt it onto my new engine, but I can't tell if those two wings that fit into the bell housing are holding me up. Or I might just be taking it too carefully. My oil pan is pretty much flush to the bell housing and I can even get some bolts started, but I don't want to break those tabs off if they're going to catch on something.

My Cars
    07 335XI
    Those tabs need to go into the bell housing before you bolt anything up. You can do it with the axles and diff still attached, I've done it that way a few times
    Just a bit of a pain to get the oil pan in place. Not sure about your bolt situation. Generally the top bolts are shorter than the bolts on the side. If it seems too long, it's probably in the wrong spot.