Thread: Whiney fuel transfer pump and another thing...

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325iC

Whiney fuel transfer pump and another thing...

Got a farm auction 87 325i for $2,000 and replaced driveshart int. bearings, timing belt/water pump, tires and the thing runs like a dream. Except what I think is the (aftermarket) fuel pump whines like crazy. Myguy checked the output and said it was good, so we left it in place. Noproblems after 2,000+ miles last summer and this spring.

Do some aftermarket fuel pumps just whine like that, or am I in for a breakdown soon?

Also, while performing a classic newbytask, painting the valve cover, I found that one of my hex head bolts had sheared and that the head and washer were just floating around in there! Don't know how long. (Torx on order) theres still a quarter inch of stock left to grab onto...what recommendations does anyone have for removing that busted bolt?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    up to 9/87 the car has two pumps. So if the transfer pump is weak the main pump was to work harder. I would assume your are listening to both to see which one is making the noise

My Cars
    1986 325e
    I agree with jclausen, most noisy pump sounds are from a dual pump setup. If your transfer pump has not been delivering the fuel, the inline pump has ran dry(fuel is the lubricant) and caused damage to the inline pump. In tank pumps are quiet and usually die without an audible warning.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I can hear the new Airtex tank pump that I just installed, but then again I haven't replaced the rear seat yet. Car running great with both pumps and the fuel filter replaced.

My Cars
    85325e,97318i,87vlv240
    if the inline pump is making a considerable amount of noise, your intank pump is mostly likely on its way out or is already kaput. The inline pump will pick up the slack for some time but its straining on the pump, so it could cause premature failure of that pump as well.

Concerning your broken head bolt, it might have done some damage by the bolt's head and washer being tossed around the valvetrain but i doubt its anything to worry about. As long as the head gasket is still sealing you shouldn't be concerned about that either. The heat cycles and uneven clamping across the head could have caused some warping, but a negligible amount. Replace the broken bolt and you should be fine.

For removing the bolt, since the head had snapped off there should not be any torque on the stud thats left over, unless its stuck in there or something, try to get a vicegrip and twist it out. Worst case scenario is you have to remove the head to get that bolt out.
    Last edited by shawnkhanobi; 04-22-2019 at 11:55 PM.

My Cars
    1985 RX7 1987 325is
    Yes that transfer pump failing does make the primary noisy. Mine wined like heck until I replaced the transfer pump. I did so with an alternative vehicles pump that provides the same specs as stock but is much more economical in cost. I'm sure a search will show which one it was but I can't recall at this time and it has been years. I know it was an old american make (possibly vega) maybe someone else could chime in if you are interested.
    Last edited by BMWDanny; 04-27-2019 at 10:44 AM.