Thread: Help please

My Cars
    BMW 2011 328i

Help please

I have a 2011 328i and I noticed my passenger floor wet. I was driving it in hard pouring rain yesterday. But I didn’t smell antifreeze I put my finger on the floor and smelt but it was only water. Used my defrost cause the rain was fogging my windows and Windshield was a little green but not entirely. Just had a heater valve replaced on it from a recall. And also previously had a oil change the day before the recall. My car does have a few oil leaks. Also noticed oil leaking from underneath the dashboard on passenger side. Not really sure what it is or what’s going on. I don’t smell coolant or anything only thing I do smell through the vents is burnt oil smell. Can someone please help. Thank you!
    Last edited by Ashley55; 04-14-2019 at 01:02 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Water leaks can be difficult to find.

Has the passenger’s door interior panel ever been removed? I ask as there’s a vapor barrier that if not properly installed can cause water intrusion.
    Is the water on the carpet that goes up the firewall in the front passenger footwell (where the passenger’s feet go)? If there is water there then the windshield cowl could be leaking. Is the windshield original or gas it been replaced?

My Cars
    BMW 2011 328i
    Everything is original. Nothing has been replaced. And the water is on the left side to the very top. It is leaking water and a little bit of oil from under the passenger dash as well. I really hope it’s not the heater core.

- - - Updated - - -

309DE4F3-7E30-48D2-9A65-113A60951431.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

965031E1-E128-4028-8D94-D8EC3284B85C.jpg6A082408-9F24-4CD8-9109-D7FCC029B067.jpg Here is a few pics from what Was going on

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Get some of the “water” on to your finger and smell it. Does it smell sweet? If not it’s not coolant, unless the coolant is just water.

Check item #3 in the link. Is it properly installed? In some cars an incorrectly installed or missing filter cover can allow water to get into the car?

Are you using your AC? If so the condensate drain lines could be blocked. Condensate is water that results from the cooling of humid air. There are 2 condensate drain lines-one in either side of the transmission. The car will have to be lift and the drain lines cleaned.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I would guess either the A/C box is overflowing due to blocked drains, or the windshield is leaking. And windshield leaks are almost unheard of if it's the factory windshield.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Step 1 is going to be getting the water out of the floorboards. Trouble is, there is 3 inches of foam there, which is all inundated. If you don't address this THOROUGHLY, the car will be ruined forever. This means using a shop-vac, to suck up the apparent water, then pulling up the carpets, wherever they're wet, and using the shop-vac for a very long time, then putting a huge fan into the interior of the car for several days. what you're seeing is only the tip of the iceberg....don't let your car be the Titanic.

Clogged sunroof drains, or , as Critter suggests, water making its way, incorrectly , through the underhood drain panels and ending up draining into the floor what should have followed drainage channels to the ground instead.

Don't let this go unattended .

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Sunroof drains! Dallas has had some torrential downpours lately.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I believe that the water drain for the microfilter housing(s) also drains down into the a/c box and would cause the box to overflow. I'm pretty sure that rain can enter the microfilter housing when the car is parked.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley55 View Post
    I have a 2011 328i and I noticed my passenger floor wet. I was driving it in hard pouring rain yesterday. But I didn’t smell antifreeze I put my finger on the floor and smelt but it was only water. Used my defrost cause the rain was fogging my windows and Windshield was a little green but not entirely. Just had a heater valve replaced on it from a recall. And also previously had a oil change the day before the recall. My car does have a few oil leaks. Also noticed oil leaking from underneath the dashboard on passenger side. Not really sure what it is or what’s going on. I don’t smell coolant or anything only thing I do smell through the vents is burnt oil smell. Can someone please help. Thank you!
    did you found the problem? I am having the same problem, passenger side , the carpet walls are dry, just the bottom floor is wet. I am going to hose the car and see what is going on.

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic

aircon or sunroof clog?

Quote Originally Posted by xrayjuan View Post
    did you found the problem? I am having the same problem, passenger side , the carpet walls are dry, just the bottom floor is wet. I am going to hose the car and see what is going on.

run your aircon and look if water is dripping under car near transmission. it should drain there. however, if blocked sunroof put water on rails to see if it drains. if not use thick trimmer cord to unblock.