RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Rear suspension bent

My Cars
    BMW E46 325i

Rear suspension bent

Hi,
    I had the alignment of my E46 325i done, and the front was perfect, but they couldn't get the rear done properly, they just ran out of space to move the bolt that goes in the chasis. When I drive the steering wheel is a bit to the right.
    What are the most probable bent suspension parts? Could I find them just by simply measuring them with tape measure?

Thanks for all hints.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Doesn't need to be bent. Worn out bushings can also make it impossible to properly align. If your only complaint is the steering wheel not straight that is easily corrected by adjusting the tie rods.
    Maybe time for a different alignment shop.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    BMW E46 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Doesn't need to be bent. Worn out bushings can also make it impossible to properly align. If your only complaint is the steering wheel not straight that is easily corrected by adjusting the tie rods.
    Maybe time for a different alignment shop.
    Thanks for the reply.
    It could be possible that I have some worn out bushings, but when I first got the car rear wheels were visibly turned to the right. That's why I think that there's something bent. The car axis is few minutes off centre...

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Can you post the alignment shop’s printout if your car’s alignment specs?

My Cars
    You definitely need a new alignment shop.

If there's bent components, a competent shop will tell you what parts are bent, and give you an estimate to repair it. As well as your steering wheel would be straight while driving straight.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutkick View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    It could be possible that I have some worn out bushings, but when I first got the car rear wheels were visibly turned to the right. That's why I think that there's something bent. The car axis is few minutes off centre...
    BOTH rear wheels pointing right? More likely a bent car than suspension components. If that car hasn't been smacked hard in the side I'd suspect the sub-frame mounting bushings are done.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If the car can't be brought into spec, it's better for the measurements to be equal on both sides, than to have one side in-spec with the other side maxed, but out of spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.