Thread: Soft top front cowl gasket

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO

Soft top front cowl gasket

I know there’s a few posts on this topic but most are dated so thought I’d try again. Is replacing the front cowl gasket ($$$) the only way to cure the drips from the A pillars during heavy rain? I tried some silicone sealer but no joy. Also tried padding the gasket at the corners with flat rubber seals, still no joy. Funny thing is the gasket kept things perfectly dry with my original top for 24 years. Had to replace it due to failing bow seams and now I can’t get a tight seal at the A pillars with the new top. Top seams aligned well with good clamping action at the rear seal and front windshield header. Not psyched about spending big money on a new cowl gasket but will go that route if it will keep things dry.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    I think it was more to do with the positioning on the assembly frame. They are adjustable as you know. Not fun but adjustable. I have also seen where a person added a stripe across the entire top of the windshield that was compressed between the frame and soft top. Didn't see it with the top up, barely realized it was there with the top down. Not sure how well that worked.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Would removing shims at the rear anchor points tighten the front bow at the A pillars? It’s lining up fine with the rear tonneau and the front latch hooks so I’m reticent to make any shim adjustments.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    No. Shims have to be removed from the lateral spot to move the assembly forward. The horizontal shims control the snugness to the tonneau, lateral control forward and rear assembly movement. I try to move the assembly as forward as possible without the locking hooks hitting the windshield frame.
    When you do this you have to fully tighten down the top's lateral and horizontal mounting bolts to get an accurate measurement. If you don't tighten the horizontal bolts the weight of the frame will make it appear to be very far forward but when you tighten the horizontal bolts it will pull the top back. Frustrating an time consuming but necessary.

Other than that securing a soft hose, like a vacuum hose, across the top of the windshield frame in the channel would help seal the gap between the windshield frame and top as a last resort.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Thanks for the tips Greg. I was able to get a tight seal at the cowl by removing some of the lateral shims thereby moving the assemble forward enough to tighten the anchors better. So far no more leaks using just the OE cowl gasket. I had the hardtop on all winter and only noticed this after removing it for spring weather.