Thread: Zf 310 vs 320; are they interchangeable?

My Cars
    e34 525i

Zf 310 vs 320; are they interchangeable?

Hi guys!

I am about to pick up an e34 530i v8 tomorrow!
    Problem is that it is an automatic car. But I have another 525i m50 tu with a LSD and stuff. It seems that a manual 530i v8 and an m50 I6 share the same drive shaft and diff, right?
    Well, the question is: is a manual transmission from an e39 535i v8 interchangeable with an e34 530i manual gearbox?
    If so, I could just get some 5 spd manual from an e39 m62b35 and mate it with my existing drive shaft and LSD from my 525i m50.

Anyone knows if this combination will work?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    My info is for the US market and I know there were some differences with the diffs in particular. We also never got the E39 535i. I'm sure the 535i gearbox will bolt up, but I don't know what driveshaft you'd use. E34 M60 530iM and M50 525iM share diff fitment but I think the former is 3.07; the latter is 3.23. I'd go on RealOEM to cross-reference part numbers.

As for the title, I believe 310Z and 320Z are completely interchangeable in L6 applications, but recommend verifying this with some Searching of E36 forums.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Yeah, it seems it is 3.07 here aswell. Mine is 3.23 so it will have a shorter ratio. It is a 5% shorter gear ratio so it be down on speed something between 10 to 15 kmh considering the gearbox has the same gear ratios. I think the one in my e34 525i has a 1:1 ratio for the fifth gear. So if it is the same in the e39 gearbox I am fine. However if I move up in the future to a bigger engine I will need a diff with less reduction or a manual 6 speed with overdrive maybe. Plenty of 5 speed gearboxes from e39 available. I will see if I can pick up one tomorrow aswell.
    As for electronics and so... I will need a new DME coming from a manual m60b30 right? Or, will it run the same way with the one it has right now?

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Ok guys I picked up the car yesterday. Crazy long gear ratios. At a 150 kmh the engine is runing at 2600 rpms or so! Crazy... LOL, if I put it downhill I think I could reach 320 kmh LOOL anyways, car has NO power below 4K rpms, as usual in BMW from that era. I guess knock sensors are completely blown as usual in this BMWs. Also, the car shakes like crazy when idling and when cold maybe just 6 out of 8 cilinders work. I am guessing maybes oil leak inside the spark plugs holes...

I have checked in realoem and it seems that the diff has the exact same casing as the 525i m50 but with a 3.15 gear ratio. What I don't know yet is if I have the LSD unit or the regular one. Anyone knows if the auto cars came with LSD?
    I think this car has A LOT of potential. It is going to be painted with Techno Violet this next week. BTW, I am searching a manual gearbox.

Questions:

Can I run the car with the stock DME being designed for an auto transmission with a manual transmision? Will it go into a fail safe mode or something? Will I be down on power?

Can I use a cluster from an inline 6 m50b25tu in a V8 m60 car? I ask because the v8 auto has a different display than the I6 and I want it to be 100% manual. And I have 4 or 5 clusters laying around...

Can I modify the stock DME of the AUTO version to be like the one in a MANUAL e34? Like, maybe replacing the eprom inside?

Can I delete the auto gearbox control module and run the car anyways with a manual gearbox? I can live with a service light on for a while.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 4dri4n; 04-15-2019 at 02:42 AM.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    What about the shifts and rods of the gear shift? Are they compatible with any other? Do I have to get an e34 v8 shift?
    Anyone?

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Hey anyone knows if a 265 flywheel will fit with a ZF 320 gearbox? It seems it comes with a 240 mm stock

My Cars
    E34T
    Anyone knows if the auto cars came with LSD?
    It's possible. The best way to check is to put the trans in neutral, lift one rear wheel, and see if you can turn it by hand.

Can I run the car with the stock DME being designed for an auto transmission with a manual transmision? Will it go into a fail safe mode or something? Will I be down on power?
    Yes, it'll run ok, but it may be down on power at low RPM and jump engine speed for a short moment between shifts. I had both problems with a M60B40 auto tune, though the latter problem persisted slightly even after a proper tune (but I had a 7kg flywheel).

Can I use a cluster from an inline 6 m50b25tu in a V8 m60 car? I ask because the v8 auto has a different display than the I6 and I want it to be 100% manual. And I have 4 or 5 clusters laying around...
    Yes, you can switch clusters as long as they're the same type (same color plate and same high/medium/low-spec). There should be no differences between auto and manual except for bulbs installed for the transmission indicator screen.

Can I modify the stock DME of the AUTO version to be like the one in a MANUAL e34? Like, maybe replacing the eprom inside?
    I'm not sure. I first had my M60B40 auto chip in an M60B30 auto DME box, and had the above problems. Putting the same chip in an M60B30 manual box did not help. Only a new chip helped, but I don't know if the right chip in an automatic DME will work correctly; my guess is that it will.

Can I delete the auto gearbox control module and run the car anyways with a manual gearbox? I can live with a service light on for a while.
    Yes, you can remove everything for the automatic including its computer. To fix the warning message, find a 0.5mm GR/BR wire in the e-box, trans computer connector X8500 pin 29, and ground it somewhere (I used the e-box frame).

Quote Originally Posted by 4dri4n View Post
    What about the shifts and rods of the gear shift? Are they compatible with any other? Do I have to get an e34 v8 shift?
    Anyone?
    Cross-reference some parts on RealOEM. My guess is the only compatible part will be the shift lever (what the shift knob goes onto) and rear shift carrier mount.

The 265mm M60B40 flywheel will fit but the 265mm clutch will not fit the ZF input shaft.
    Last edited by moroza; 04-15-2019 at 08:28 PM.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    It's possible. The best way to check is to put the trans in neutral, lift one rear wheel, and see if you can turn it by hand.

Yes, it'll run ok, but it may be down on power at low RPM and jump engine speed for a short moment between shifts. I had both problems with a M60B40 auto tune, though the latter problem persisted slightly even after a proper tune (but I had a 7kg flywheel).

Yes, you can switch clusters as long as they're the same type (same color plate and same high/medium/low-spec). There should be no differences between auto and manual except for bulbs installed for the transmission indicator screen.

I'm not sure. I first had my M60B40 auto chip in an M60B30 auto DME box, and had the above problems. Putting the same chip in an M60B30 manual box did not help. Only a new chip helped, but I don't know if the right chip in an automatic DME will work correctly; my guess is that it will.

Yes, you can remove everything for the automatic including its computer. To fix the warning message, find a 0.5mm GR/BR wire in the e-box, trans computer connector X8500 pin 29, and ground it somewhere (I used the e-box frame).

Cross-reference some parts on RealOEM. My guess is the only compatible part will be the shift lever (what the shift knob goes onto) and rear shift carrier mount.

The 265mm M60B40 flywheel will fit but the 265mm clutch will not fit the ZF input shaft.
    Man, thank you soo much. I appreciate.

Right now the car is going to be painted. I do not decide between Techno Violet, CirrusBlau Metallic and Alpinweiss 300 which is my current e34. I guess Alpinweiss is the winning choice but I am so used to see it already so I dont know :/ When the car is done in 2 weeks or so I will proceed whit interiors and then the manual swap and so.

I will keep you updated.
    Last edited by 4dri4n; 04-16-2019 at 12:27 AM.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    One last question:

Is the stock flywheel and clutch of an e34 530i capable of handling the torque of a b40 or b44?
    What can I do to overcome this issue. Cause I am about to pick up a gearbox and flywheel and I dont want to be replacing again in the near future. And this stuff is not cheap at all being junkyard parts...

Edit: Ok here is plenty of information available:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...and-530i-trans

Thank you again, Moroza
    Last edited by 4dri4n; 04-16-2019 at 03:07 AM.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    I dont exactly know why I was totally convinced that I could straight swap the driveshaft out of my 525i into the 530i. It seems it isn't this way... damn it, I will have to look for one...

My Cars
    E34T
    What doesn't fit - length, transmission end, or diff end?

My Cars
    e34 525i
    I think it might be because of length. I don't know, I am guessing because in realoem it has a different P/N and I had the idea that it was the same but I was wrong.

My Cars
    E34T
    Just because it has a different PN doesn't mean it won't fit. IIRC (if I recall correctly) all 525i used 80mm diff input, while 530i used 86mm. If that's the only difference, you can swap diff input flanges to match.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Crazy... pfff 525i has 86 mm flange and 30i has 94 mm flange. With soo many different things between models it would be a miracle if the length of both drive shafts were the same.
    I prefer to wait until some drive shafts comes up...

My Cars
    E34T
    I think that means it has a big-case diff. How many bolts are on the rear cover?

My Cars
    e34 525i
    No I was wrong. The 530iA has the 86 mm flange in a mid case diff. The 525i manual has the exact same 86mm flange. Manual 530i has the medium case diff and 94 mm flange, which is the same as the one that the large case diff has. But there are some large case diffs with the 86 input flange aswell so this is crazy.
    In case I purchase a 530i 5 spd drive shaft, would I be able to swap a large case 94 input flange into a medium case diff?
    This is crazy. Why so many different parts? Crazy shit.