Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A newly designed bluetooth module made specifically for older BMW's.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports

A newly designed bluetooth module made specifically for older BMW's.

Check this out. I think I just might purchase one of these as soon as he is done prototyping it.
    https://www.bluebus.dev/#
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    This is pretty cool if it works as described. Interesting product for cars that most manufacturers no longer target. I’d definitely buy one.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Man, that's pretty darn cool. Looks like it functions in a similar way to the OE Bluetooth setup, but has more capabilities and isn't ancient. It almost makes me wish I still had the stock head unit in my car, haha.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    I signed up for a pre-order, but no price mentioned anywhere.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    Towards the end of the page it's mentioned that the price is somewhere between $170 - $200. That definitely should have been emphasized on the site a little more, I think.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    98 528i 91 318is-S54swap
    I signed up for preorder too. Looks super neat.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    If you scrolled down a bit he says the price will be around $170, maybe a bit more depending on manufacturing costs, but still under $200.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    98 528i 91 318is-S54swap
    Here it is working on a MID. The developer, T3ddFTW's thread on M3 forum http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...599340&page=34

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I think I've found a viable solution for modern era integration on my car and still looking good.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the heads up, Santaclaus4
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    The video seems to imply that this thing replaces the CD changer; so it's not possible to have both?

My Cars
    98 528i 91 318is-S54swap
    Indeed, this would go in place of the changer.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by 98OrientBlue View Post
    The video seems to imply that this thing replaces the CD changer; so it's not possible to have both?
    The impression I got was it uses the connector for the multi-disk changer in the trunk. If you have the in-dash cd player you can still use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    I think I've found a viable solution for modern era integration on my car and still looking good.

thanks for the heads up, Santaclaus4
    Think of it as an early Christmas gift.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Looks pretty slick. I pre-ordered one.

My Cars
    '99 323i, '19 M2C
    So what if you don't have OEM Mic? Can you connect a mic like 2.5mm? Or buy a BMW mic?

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    His site says you can purchase a microphone with the Bluetooth unit.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    My friend Ryan of E39Source is running a prototype in his M5. So far, it works. I haven't seen it in use much, but it does what it is purported to do. Calling works, sounds like a cell phone call, so no significant loss of call quality, and streaming works, too. It will be neat to see what develops.

I still plan to install a factory auxiliary input and reinstall my factory ULF bluetooth, as my M5's previous owner installed a BM53 and updated the nav to a Mk4, but for older E39s without a BM53/CD53, this is a nice option.

There is also talk of secret special features that could be added. Sshhh...
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    That's totally a 007 and "Q" conversation if I ever saw it...

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Towards the end of the page it's mentioned that the price is somewhere between $170 - $200. That definitely should have been emphasized on the site a little more, I think.
    You're right, I should add some emphasis there

Sorry, no. I honestly didn't think people still used the CDC, so I saw no harm in dropping my module in its place. Your in-dash CD player will continue to work, however

Quote Originally Posted by GotF1 View Post
    So what if you don't have OEM Mic? Can you connect a mic like 2.5mm? Or buy a BMW mic?
    You will always be able to use any mic you want with the unit, but I highly recommend you use the OE BMW Microphone as it is the only mic that can be mounted out of the way and still pick up your voice without you sounding like you're talking from a different room .

The way to connect a microphone to the unit is to strip the plug off of it and slide the two wires into the supplied connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    His site says you can purchase a microphone with the Bluetooth unit.
    Just to clarify: I'm not supplying the OE microphones. The add-on is a small board that allows the OE microphone to work with the BlueBus. I have actually been considering scrapping the board in favor of having that circuitry directly on the BlueBus, since that would be cheaper for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    My friend Ryan of E39Source is running a prototype in his M5. So far, it works. I haven't seen it in use much, but it does what it is purported to do. Calling works, sounds like a cell phone call, so no significant loss of call quality, and streaming works, too. It will be neat to see what develops.

I still plan to install a factory auxiliary input and reinstall my factory ULF bluetooth, as my M5's previous owner installed a BM53 and updated the nav to a Mk4, but for older E39s without a BM53/CD53, this is a nice option.

Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    That's totally a 007 and "Q" conversation if I ever saw it...
    I don't mind sharing what's being referenced here: Over time, I plan on adding features to the unit, some similar to what people get from the Intravee II, such as:

1. Syncing Date / Time from the Nav to the IKE
    2. Displaying different IKE Readouts (RPM, Speed, Coolant Temp, etc) in the Bluetooth mode screen
    3. Full factory integration for hands-free calls.

For #3, this implies the ability to cut into whatever you're listening to in order to allow you to take the call without doing anything special (like switching back to Bluetooth mode with the Grom). This actually works pretty simply: A mono audio signal is fed into the TCU harness, as well as a 12v signal that alters the radio that the TCU is "alive" and another 12v signal which can be used to "mute" whatever is currently playing on the radio (FM/AM/etc). Of course, all of this will require a little work on your end as you will either need to de-pin the signals from the TCU connector and slide those pins into a supplied connector, or go the lazy route and tap those lines (not at all recommended).

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
    Sorry, no. I honestly didn't think people still used the CDC, so I saw no harm in dropping my module in its place. Your in-dash CD player will continue to work, however
    Thanks!
    -Ted
    Yes, I still use the CD changer, quite a lot. And my MkIV in-dash display has a cassette player, which I also use. I already have a ULF bluetooth for phone calls, but I would love to add your gadget for streaming audio... Maybe in a future release?

Or, I see that your plans are on GitHub. What would it take for me to hack a different connector so that I can connect it to the iBus directly?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
    I don't mind sharing what's being referenced here: Over time, I plan on adding features to the unit, some similar to what people get from the Intravee II, such as:

1. Syncing Date / Time from the Nav to the IKE
    2. Displaying different IKE Readouts (RPM, Speed, Coolant Temp, etc) in the Bluetooth mode screen
    3. Full factory integration for hands-free calls.

For #3, this implies the ability to cut into whatever you're listening to in order to allow you to take the call without doing anything special (like switching back to Bluetooth mode with the Grom). This actually works pretty simply: A mono audio signal is fed into the TCU harness, as well as a 12v signal that alters the radio that the TCU is "alive" and another 12v signal which can be used to "mute" whatever is currently playing on the radio (FM/AM/etc). Of course, all of this will require a little work on your end as you will either need to de-pin the signals from the TCU connector and slide those pins into a supplied connector, or go the lazy route and tap those lines (not at all recommended).

Thanks!
    -Ted

Hey Ted!

left you a question on the youtube VID.

1. One of my cars has a low cluster and IRIS with a business radio wioth a CD changer in trunk. This work with that?
    My other 2 cars have Board Monitor with TV but no NAV, how does that play out?
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3

Smile

Yes, I still use the CD changer, quite a lot. And my MkIV in-dash display has a cassette player, which I also use. I already have a ULF bluetooth for phone calls, but I would love to add your gadget for streaming audio... Maybe in a future release?

Or, I see that your plans are on GitHub. What would it take for me to hack a different connector so that I can connect it to the iBus directly?
    Howdy!

It's simply not possible to use this outside of CDC mode. Not only are the connectors designed with the CDC in mind but the unit emulates the CD Changer on the IBus, which means that the two couldn't coexist.

If you really wanted this, you could technically source a BM53 with Aux in built in, wire the BlueBus to the Aux in and then alter the source code to not use the CD Changer code and instead initialize when "AUX" is displayed. If this is something you're seriously interested in, I can help, but I don't have the bandwidth to do it all for you :/
    Last edited by t3ddftw; 04-16-2019 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    Hey Ted!

left you a question on the youtube VID.

1. One of my cars has a low cluster and IRIS with a business radio wioth a CD changer in trunk. This work with that?
    My other 2 cars have Board Monitor with TV but no NAV, how does that play out?
    Hi Juan!

I did respond to you . I have no idea if it will work with your IRIS out of the box, but it can be made to work correctly since they're all IBus-enabled. Your other two cars should work, since I believe the TV module does the job of Graphics Navigation Driver when the Nav computer is not present.

Thanks!
    -Ted
    Last edited by t3ddftw; 04-16-2019 at 11:26 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I like it.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Isn't this just a GROM? I have a GROM in the e39 and e46 and it does just this, for about $250. Had to run a microphone wire behind the dash and the mic is mounted in the upper left corner of the windshield, or you could run a wire all the way to the actual mic panel. All steering wheel controls work as well as the title of songs on displays. Phone and audio.

In the e46 it mounted behind the radio, in the e39 it took the place of the CD player. Haven't installed one yet in the e38, but that's in the plans, and will take the place of the CD player in the trunk.

Now if this worked in the e34, that would be nice. However, I think they sell entire radio units for that car with Bluetooth, USB and Aux inputs.
    Last edited by kouks; 04-16-2019 at 12:51 AM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    Isn't this just a GROM? I have a GROM in the e39 and e46 and it does just this, for about $250. Had to run a microphone wire behind the dash and the mic is mounted in the upper left corner of the windshield, or you could run a wire all the way to the actual mic panel. All steering wheel controls work as well as the title of songs on displays. Phone and audio.

In the e46 it mounted behind the radio, in the e39 it took the place of the CD player. Haven't installed one yet in the e38, but that's in the plans, and will take the place of the CD player in the trunk.

Now if this worked in the e34, that would be nice. However, I think they sell entire radio units for that car with Bluetooth, USB and Aux inputs.
    Essentially it is, yeah.

I have a grom unit in the trunk, sans the Bluetooth dongle. But I've been meaning to purchase that from them, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast