Thread: E38 steering wheel swap

My Cars
    E38 728i, 740i /E31 850i

E38 steering wheel swap

I have a quick question to an expert.

Can I swap two steering wheels between two e38s?

Both are 4 spoke multifunction and look the same.

One is from 94/7 the other one is from 98/4

I only want to change the wheel, not the airbag module.

I read somewhere that before 96/9 steering wheels have a module under the dash and later ones are incorporated in the steering wheel. Is that so? Is that a problem? Can I just swap the steering wheels and leave the modules where they are?

Thanks.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Should be able to. IIRC, the change from single to dual stage happened in late 99. Disconnect battery, loosen the two torx on the back side of the wheel to remove airbag and then use an impact to remove the 19 or 21mm center nut. There is a mark on the splined shaft to align the wheel.

My Cars
    E38 728i, 740i /E31 850i
    Thank you! Yes, the two stage airbag change was in 99. My concern was the the notes below (the first part).

* MLF Steering wheels used BEFORE 9/96 build date have a MLF-CM (multi-function steering wheel control module) that is located under the dash instead of being incorporated into the button pod on the right side of the steering wheel. If your car was built before 9/96, the buttons on the MLF Steering Wheel will not function unless you run a wire to the I-Bus system which allows the wheels' MLF-CM to communicate with the car.

* E38s & E39s built from 9/96 up to 3/99 have a SINGLE STAGE AIR BAG and different slip ring thus can NOT use an air bag from a later built donor.

* E38s & E39s built from 3/99-up have a DUAL STAGE AIR BAG system which is NOT compatible with earlier built cars.

So, this is the info what I don't know how to interpret and it made me thinking that the 94 might just not be compatible with a 98. However, I only want to change the steering wheel, and leave the airbag (and control module) where it was.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Gotcha and yeah, I know nothing about that.

My Cars
    1999 740iL
    I don't think you can do it. None of the buttons on the wheel will work. I looked at getting a heated steering wheel from a '95 750, and it wouldn't work in my 1/99 740.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If you are good with electrical work...it's doable. Unfortunately, you gave us no indication as to which direction you are going with the steering wheels (98 wheel onto the 94...or the 94 wheel onto the 98?). The only thing I can say is that you will need to run a wire that connects the MFL -CM to the I-bus so that the buttons will work (the steering wheel button's data communicates over the I-bus).

As stated above, if you don't connect the MFL-CM then the steering wheel buttons will not work. This was covered over a decade ago and hopefully the DIYs are still up on www.e38/org or www.e38.org/e39. The forum member that was active on BimBrd.com and did the DIY...also used to have videos on YouTube. Unfortunately his name escapes me at this moment...if I remember his name, I'll post back and perhaps you can find a video about this.

Here's the info about the MFL control module that was mentioned in the posts above that explains when it moved from below the dash to the right button pod :

EDIT:...I remember the name...it was VisionBMW that installed a single stage steering wheel that was produced after 9/96 and installed it in his e39 that was built before 9/96 and had the MFL-CM below the dash. He shows how he ran a wire to his MFL-CM so that the MFL buttons on his 3 spoke single stage steering wheel upgrade would work.

Here's a link to his video on how he did it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHcn8u635cw
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-14-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Qsilver, knower of all things BMW to the rescue!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ^^^ ...more like...I've been around so long that...if you stir up enough dust around my cerebral synapses...I might remember stuff about an old topic. Geez...it took me a few minutes to remember Cliffs name and handle (visionbmw) from Bimmerboard.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 97 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Qsilver, knower of all things BMW to the rescue!

How do you think his profile picture came to be?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Am3n View Post
    How do you think his profile picture came to be?
    My avatar goes back to Bimmerboard e38 forum heydays. Unfortunately (and sadly ), I don't remember who took the time to create it...but it was a good-natured ribbing...to put up something similar to the "Bat Signal" (aka Batman & Commisioner Gordon). I loved it and asked if I could make it my avatar...they said yes...and it has been my avatar ever since. And even though I dont remember who created it for me...I'm very grateful for such a unique pic to use as my avatar...and for the time, effort, and thought that was behind its creation.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 97 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    My avatar goes back to Bimmerboard e38 forum heydays. Unfortunately (and sadly ), I don't remember who took the time to create it...but it was a good-natured ribbing...to put up something similar to the "Bat Signal" (aka Batman & Commisioner Gordon). I loved it and asked if I could make it my avatar...they said yes...and it has been my avatar ever since. And even though I dont remember who created it for me...I'm very grateful for such a unique pic to use as my avatar...and for the time, effort, and thought that was behind its creation.
    Haha you'll be happy to know that it was me that made that for you. Killed it with my MS Paint skills!

My Cars
    E38 728i, 740i /E31 850i
    Thank you for the explanation. Actually I wanted to switch the two steering wheels and now it is perfectly clear that it can't be done except if I give up the working buttons on both. Oh well, one project more: finding an original steering wheel for a pre 96 car in superb condition... Wish me luck on that Thank you again!

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by hhy2k View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. Actually I wanted to switch the two steering wheels and now it is perfectly clear that it can't be done except if I give up the working buttons on both. Oh well, one project more: finding an original steering wheel for a pre 96 car in superb condition... Wish me luck on that Thank you again!
    ebay. just got one....50 bucks. its mint.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Am3n View Post
    Haha you'll be happy to know that it was me that made that for you. Killed it with my MS Paint skills!
    OMG...it was you! Again...thank you so much...and I do apologize for not remember who created it...I just remember (it wasn't me)...but I loved it from the 1st time I saw it...and it was way back from the BimBrd days. .

From the bottom of my heart...

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 97 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    OMG...it was you! Again...thank you so much...and I do apologize for not remember who created it...I just remember (it wasn't me)...but I loved it from the 1st time I saw it...and it was way back from the BimBrd days. .

From the bottom of my heart...

Haha my pleasure man. I use to be active on here about 6 years ago but life keeps you busy, busy. Glad to see you are still here dropping knowledge bombs on people.