Thread: E60 cruise control failure

My Cars
    e60

E60 M54 2004 cruise control failure

Hi All!

I have 2004's E60, M54.

When a speed of 100 km/h is reached, the car happily plays gong and gives error "Cruise control fault". If at that moment the cruise was turned on, then it goes off, and I can't turn it on until the engine is restarted. If cruise control was not engaged, it simply does not turn on until the engine is restarted.

In DME, the error "12111 2F4F Fahrzeuggeschwindigkeit, Plausibility", P-Code: P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor 'A' Intermittent/Erratic/High is recorded. I rearranged the rear ABS sensors, no effect. Wiring, ABS sensor contacts, DSC and DME block connectors checked, everything is normal. Monitoring of ABS sensors values on run gives following data immediately before gong:
    Values Gong 20190412.jpg

I rushed through the Internet and found many topics with a similar problem, but no one wrote that managed to solve it. There are hints to replacing the DSC unit, but there is no evidence that this will resolves the issue. There is a feeling that the problem can only be treated by replacing the car .

Currently I'm planning to change DSC and DME units.

Has somebody encounters this issue? If you can solve it, how? If can't solve, what did you try?
    Last edited by rumzik; 04-13-2019 at 04:35 AM.

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    ABS sensors have nothing to do with vehicle speed. You want to look at the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission. Figure out where it is and honestly just replace it. Erratic signal codes are pretty much always the sensor or tone ring.

My Cars
    e60
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmyride101 View Post
    ABS sensors have nothing to do with vehicle speed. You want to look at the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission.
    Not in the BMW, unfortunately. It takes right rear ABS sensor as primary for speed detection, and process it in DSC. ABS sensor is OK, so problem somewhere in DSC/DME units or link between them.

My Cars
    e60
    Problem solved by replacing DSC unit.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Interesting, thanks for the followup.

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    Cool. Did not know that bit of info.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 528i

DCS unit replacement

Quote Originally Posted by rumzik View Post
    Problem solved by replacing DSC unit.
    I get random errors of DBC & Startoff Assistance failure and then cruise won't work. I've thought of replacing the ABS but hate to just throw money at it. Can you elaborate a bit on what you replaced, where you got the replacement, and how you know that fixed it?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by rumzik View Post
    Hi All!

I have 2004's E60, M54.

When a speed of 100 km/h is reached, the car happily plays gong and gives error "Cruise control fault". If at that moment the cruise was turned on, then it goes off, and I can't turn it on until the engine is restarted. If cruise control was not engaged, it simply does not turn on until the engine is restarted.

In DME, the error "12111 2F4F Fahrzeuggeschwindigkeit, Plausibility", P-Code: P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor 'A' Intermittent/Erratic/High is recorded. I rearranged the rear ABS sensors, no effect. Wiring, ABS sensor contacts, DSC and DME block connectors checked, everything is normal. Monitoring of ABS sensors values on run gives following data immediately before gong:
    Values Gong 20190412.jpg

I rushed through the Internet and found many topics with a similar problem, but no one wrote that managed to solve it. There are hints to replacing the DSC unit, but there is no evidence that this will resolves the issue. There is a feeling that the problem can only be treated by replacing the car .

Currently I'm planning to change DSC and DME units.

Has somebody encounters this issue? If you can solve it, how? If can't solve, what did you try?
    Exact same car, exact same error. You have part number or where DSC unit is located? engine bay, steering column or right rear wheel? Did you have to re-code anything?