Thread: Super Stupid/noob question. Does my M3 have a PCV valve?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Super Stupid/noob question. Does my M3 have a PCV valve?

if so where is it? I'm trouble shooting a misfire but since I haven't done a tune up since many winters ago figured I'd just go nuts.

Anyway, I'm following the breather tube (not sure if it is but it's where most breathers connect to the valve cover) and mine goes into the MAF sensor unit on the intake....

Stupid question: where is the PCV on my car? also what's the part number. I've found online sites to be unreliable for this because it gave me the wrong P/N for my fuel filter and I cross checked a few times. Also I don't know if my car is like others cuz the fuel filter is tucked away near the dipstick and under the intake manifolds. I have a 95 M3

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    The OBD1 cars don't have a proper PCV valve, just a breather hose from the cylinder head cover that goes to the underside of the rubber intake elbow just upstream of the throttle body. Note that the diagram of this area in RealOEM is not accurate or useful. You might want to have a look at this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nes-goes-where

OBD2 (96MY onward) cars are different, with a diaphragm type PCV valve under the intake manifold, channeling vapors into the manifold and separated oil into a fitting on the dipstick tube.

Neil

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    The OBD1 cars don't have a proper PCV valve, just a breather hose from the cylinder head cover that goes to the underside of the rubber intake elbow just upstream of the throttle body. Note that the diagram of this area in RealOEM is not accurate or useful. You might want to have a look at this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nes-goes-where

OBD2 (96MY onward) cars are different, with a diaphragm type PCV valve under the intake manifold, channeling vapors into the manifold and separated oil into a fitting on the dipstick tube.

Neil
    Okay, looks like I gotta return the part I ordered. I can't see the pics from the other thread but I have obd1 so I guess I don't have a pcv valve which is what I suspected. Thanks