Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 94 Kashmirbeige-Metallic 540i

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap

94 Kashmirbeige-Metallic 540i

30D291EA-164C-40CF-BFA2-D95576CFDA02.JPGDSC_0226.jpgDSC_0269.JPGDSC_0286.jpgIMG_4484.jpg

This is my "build" thread. I swapped the car last year with an m62 bottom end. Chip from Dudmd I really like his tune. so initially I was actually looking to buy an e38 but ended up finding this e34 on craigslist for sale and really liked it when I saw it. The whole car was really clean. one small rust spot but its getting fixed. I spent about a year working on it on and off from 2017 to april 2018. I did some porting on the cylinder heads. recently got a six speed and a new motor as the bottom end I put in has a knock and I suspect its a rod bearing failure, also the 5hp30 I have was slipping bad and needed to go. The plan is as follows to replace the engine and trans. I bought a velocity stack intake off ebay and some f30 brembos that im going to mount using the AngryAss adapter kit. Im gonna do crank and rod bearings and bolts this time to prevent any mishaps. on the side I am working to swap an m62tu in it just been time consuming to make the harnesses. I just had a kid too so im really getting back into this not only because I like having the 4 door because its practical and can fit the child seat easier. but as I was inspired by the other threads here to continue fixing this one even if its not an original 6 speed. I am looking at other parts too like a dinan short shifter from an e60 and an original wood shift surround. I plan on doing the suspension too I am looking at some nurburgring sway bars and converting my struts to coilovers.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Good stuff! Sounds like a fun project, be sure to post lots of pictures!

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Helluva project, lots of work. Hope you're deep in this and/or have competent tech support. Make sure you keep the missus happy too, wouldn't want the whole trip to crash b/c daddy's tied to the car. Anticipating the pics, remember nowadays... "Pics or it didn't happen"!

We got lotsa time, post when you can. Whether it's an original 6spd or not, getting this done, fully functional, even without the goodies, will be a major achievement.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    Very cool project! I’ve got a beat up E32 750il in the same color...fixing it up slowly. Your car is gonna rip when your done, just be sure to check those oil pump nuts/bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoky540i View Post
    Very cool project! I’ve got a beat up E32 750il in the same color...fixing it up slowly. Your car is gonna rip when your done, just be sure to check those oil pump nuts/bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beautiful car. Do you plan on doing any chips? and yeah the oil pump bolts were tightened and had loctite. This time around I'm going to run the thinner head gasket. I used the multi layer steel gaskets so the compression wouldnt be too high. with a good exhaust setup and the portwork done im hoping to break 300 wheel if it didnt already. there arent a lot of dyno number threads for these swaps with the available chips at least none I could find. hopefully more of the guys with these swaps will start to come together to compare different set ups. maybe the velocity stack intake will make a big difference or only a few hp? I have 3 intakes now. stacks. no stacks and a tu intake with narrower runners. so we shall see. ill most likely run the stacks vs no stacks b40 intakes. so as to how much it'll rip I don't know but hopefully it'll gain a little more top end.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
    Helluva project, lots of work. Hope you're deep in this and/or have competent tech support. Make sure you keep the missus happy too, wouldn't want the whole trip to crash b/c daddy's tied to the car. Anticipating the pics, remember nowadays... "Pics or it didn't happen"!

We got lotsa time, post when you can. Whether it's an original 6spd or not, getting this done, fully functional, even without the goodies, will be a major achievement.
    Fully functional is key lol thats the goal! getting the front half driveshaft retubed locally for about 450. procuring the shifter assembly I have a pedal assembly and shifter linkage from a 525i might just modify those to work instead of ordering the other parts from the dealer will see though hopefully can get this done at an efficient pace.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 401michael View Post
    Beautiful car. Do you plan on doing any chips? and yeah the oil pump bolts were tightened and had loctite. This time around I'm going to run the thinner head gasket. I used the multi layer steel gaskets so the compression wouldnt be too high. with a good exhaust setup and the portwork done im hoping to break 300 wheel if it didnt already. there arent a lot of dyno number threads for these swaps with the available chips at least none I could find. hopefully more of the guys with these swaps will start to come together to compare different set ups. maybe the velocity stack intake will make a big difference or only a few hp? I have 3 intakes now. stacks. no stacks and a tu intake with narrower runners. so we shall see. ill most likely run the stacks vs no stacks b40 intakes. so as to how much it'll rip I don't know but hopefully it'll gain a little more top end.
    It would be great to see some data on the different m60/m62 intake manifolds. I've seen a lot of speculation on the m60 intake manifold being an upgrade for m62s, but I haven't seen any dyno numbers. I can't remember if the early m62 intake manifold is different than the m62TU motor or the same as the late m60 manifold? Also I'd be curious to know what the actual difference is for the early m60 velocity stack manifold versus the m60 manifold without velocity stacks. I wonder why BMW made different intake manifolds for the m60b40.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    It would be great to see some data on the different m60/m62 intake manifolds. I've seen a lot of speculation on the m60 intake manifold being an upgrade for m62s, but I haven't seen any dyno numbers. I can't remember if the early m62 intake manifold is different than the m62TU motor or the same as the late m60 manifold? Also I'd be curious to know what the actual difference is for the early m60 velocity stack manifold versus the m60 manifold without velocity stacks. I wonder why BMW made different intake manifolds for the m60b40.
    alpina uses the velocity stack intake it only has 4 bolts for the fuel rail. no 5th threaded instert near the throttle body and to my knowledge they only came on early 740's and the v8 alpina cars. gains are supposed to be 10whp on a regular m60 and more on the tu like 20 or something. some say theres no difference lol others swear it makes a difference. when I rent a dyno ill have both intakes ready to go so see what it does on the hybrid with supporting mods. I'll post both sheets for sure. my intake was just delivered but Im not home to open it.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    IMG_4594.jpgIMG_4593.jpgIMG_4592.jpgIMG_4590.jpg

I have lots of parts waiting for me at home just been away cant wait to start pulling the car apart to get this done! Been in Finland with my family but I got my mail today. Ordered a shift surround and knob. they came from Latvia. bringing this home in my checked bag. small update for now.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    IMG_4661.jpgIMG_4664.jpgIMG_4666.jpgIMG_4668.jpg IMG_4671.jpg

Another little update. I got home from Europe yesterday and got a chance to sit down and open some of the stuff I ordered like my new intake manifold by big brakes and the Angry Ass throttle cable bushings and caliper mounting kit. I really like their stuff very budget minded and I love the quality and finish and hope to see more cool stuff from them in the future. So when I get a chance after work every day now that I am home I'll be doing a little bit each day. I also compared the crossmember I got at the dealer using a pn from real oem to the one I got with my pedal assembly and I see they are different. I have also seen 540i6 cross members that are what I thought looked like stamped steel? anyways this is what Ive got so far. still thinking about what I am going to do about the driveshaft. but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Finally found time to disassemble the car after work. going slowly but I will soon be posting pictures of progress. so far the radiator and a few things are out I need to get a load equalizer for my engine hoist before I can pull the motor and my slush box.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Looks like an awesome project! M60B44 + 6-speed will be a very potent combo, especially with a tune and a good exhaust. You might need a different tune from DUDMD since you're going from an auto to a manual, otherwise things get a little weird.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Looks like an awesome project! M60B44 + 6-speed will be a very potent combo, especially with a tune and a good exhaust. You might need a different tune from DUDMD since you're going from an auto to a manual, otherwise things get a little weird.
    The chip in my car was already for a manual. Worked fine with the auto.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    I had a friend help me with pulling the motor. we got it out in about two hours. I prepped the car by removing the radiator support and unbolting everything, draining the fluids etc. we had a few beers and slid everything out the front. I broke a few things while taking out the motor. Here's a some pics my friend took, I couldnt figure out how to orient them upright.
    IMG_5727.jpgIMG_5722.jpg

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Got more done tonight started pulling the motor apart just a little. I believe it has rod bearing failure.

F7DBE4F8-F1D5-461F-BACE-CE9D2E9FEE64.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Hey Michael, finally caught up on this thread! We don’t get on the forums as much as we used to. Awesome job so far, and we look forward to helping you find wheels to tuck over those Brembos, and anything else we can help with
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Hey Michael, finally caught up on this thread! We don’t get on the forums as much as we used to. Awesome job so far, and we look forward to helping you find wheels to tuck over those Brembos, and anything else we can help with
    I am looking into a set a forgestar D5 17x10s they seem to fit over the c6 z06 6pistons and those use a 355mm rotor. I ordered one from summit for test fitment. Should be here soon .

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    As I suspected it was multiple failed rod bearings. I got everything off the bottom oil pump, etc. and I got the timing cover off. I dropped the pan and wiggled a few back and forth a bit one of them is pretty bad but I believe I may be able to reuse the rods and replace the crank with one I happen to have along with new bearings for the crank and the rods. I am hoping for this to work out if not I have another bottom end that is all good to go anyways. I will post a few pictures later once I get the heads off. the pistons make suction noises as I turned the motor over so I am hoping none of the cylinders are scored or gouged. really hoping this works out so I can put the other motor in something else.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    The other motor was totally gone. Just absolutely ruined lol. I started picking away at my new motor. the b40 heads were fine. I am gonna make another hybrid. I am also going to run an afr guage this time and an oil pressure guage. I ordered new rod bearings and a few pieces from the timing set to make sure everything goes back together fresh.

IMG_6220.jpg

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    here is the AEM afr guage I got from summit. I have a pro comp oil gauge in the garage somewhere new in the box I just have to find it.
    IMG_6247.jpg

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    I got my m62 bottom end mostly torn down. I rotated the block on the stand so the deck surface would not let any oil or particles into the cylinders basically gravity makes all oil/dust run down away from the rings etc. I sprayed my piston tops with wd-40 and used a scraper to remove the large chunks of carbon and then sprayed lots of oil and went gently over with a grey scotch brite. so I would bring the piston being cleaned to tdc where the piston top just sticks out of the cylinder and spray, scrape, and then scrub and wipe. I used a whole can of wd-40 for one bank and made sure to rinse well with oil. I am trying best to be careful with the ever delicate alusil lol. I attached the image of one bank finished. After I finished cleaning I turned the motor over slowly and as each piston trailed any dirt or debris with oil I wiped each bore progressively making sure as I turned it that nothing was being left behind. keep in mind I did this cleaning with the deck a bit past perpendicular so most of the crud would run down and off the piston top to a pan on the floor but some tiny bits of carbon got in the cylinder anyways. I plan on spraying some injector cleaner in the bores once I finish all 8 and letting it sit for a little bit and then rotating and wiping it again to make sure all the rings are free and anything stuck in the pistons comes out before I slap the heads on it.
    IMG_6613.jpg

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    6E45ABF4-DCC6-491B-8080-C2D53E400B17.jpeg B048AE55-ADF9-4914-847E-C3BA9A697BEA.jpeg BB9E81E0-FAD4-4BBF-B7A8-6C44E3454155.jpeg image.jpg D4CCD9EA-8AF4-4D1E-BE8F-7A46A81D2E21.jpeg

A bit of progress on the build I installed coilovers I got off of someone’s wagon from Facebook market place and I have the bottom end just about back together I’m just measuring the journals before installing the new rod bearings and putting new rings on the pistons. I am going to be running a single chain set up on non vanos heads as my old b40 heads had scoring amongst several other problems. Slowly but surely once the engine is back together it’s only a matter of a couple days work and I should be driving her again soon. Also the coils changed my wheel fitment and now I’ll need to run spacers front and back looking to go with maybe 1/2in. Has anyone here used the akg bumpsteer spacers? I heard coils change the roll center quite a bit.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Yeah, I’ve used the AKG plates on every E34 that I installed coilovers on. It really does help to have them. If you’re planning on lowering the car a significant amount I would go with the taller plates.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Yeah, I’ve used the AKG plates on every E34 that I installed coilovers on. It really does help to have them. If you’re planning on lowering the car a significant amount I would go with the taller plates.
    Thanks! I am gonna order those plates now actually, I have a lot of pictures and info to share from the past year on the car.

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    I am going to cover the engine first. I was rebuilding a very mint m62tu with 300k+ miles on it so because the bores were nice I opted to do bearings and rings on it to keep it going. I had my first child so time with car went fast. I found someone through facebook who had an m62. I had gone to look at it before, I bore-scoped and leak down tested the engine two weak cylinders and some small scoring on several bores hard pass round 1, I was really stringent on finding a good motor. 2 years later I am in the same garage at the same house looking at the same engine I had passed on for $400 now for $250. I had my 2nd kid on the way so I was in a hurry to finish my car and get it back on the road with a manual in it. I bought the motor anxiously and had a wait and see attitude I was very very down bad to finish this car. the pic attached is the engine as it was when I bought it. I will go over what thread I used for reference to convert this NV M62B44 to work with the 404 dme and some handy knowledge for keeping all the e34 accessories on the m62.

m62 .jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast