Thread: X3 fuel pump issues

My Cars
    x3,335,m3

X3 fuel pump issues

Hey guys, I hate to make New thread but I’ve read and read for a week now and cannot solve my problem.

I have a 08 X.3 3.0 SI with The n52 engine car ran out of gas and after putting in 2 gallons it would not start.

I checked all fuses plus the fuel pump relay it was odd because I was missing fuse number 54 behind the glove box which is for the fuel system. So i pop a 20a and i put my two fingers on the lines by the pump and when i turn the key i feel the system pressurize but no start.

I order a new pump and check on spark which i do have. Installed new pump and again no start. I took out the 54 fuse which i did not have to begin with and neither the old or new pump pressurizes and no start. When i pop the 54 fuse in the system pressuizes but no start and makes a weird “overloading sound”

I tried a diff relay from the horn which works and nothing.

Check all fuses on engine bay and glove box and nothing.

My Cars
    2008 BMW X3 3.0 si
    Did you ever find the problem with your fuel delivery? I had to replace the pump in my 2008 X3 because or a bad connection on the fuel pump in the tank. It must have been happening over time since the connector on the pump in the tank was darkened and ultimately caused the pump to fail.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    More likely the opposite course of events: the motor started to fail, drawing excessive current until it burnt up the connection. I replaced my pump and wiring at 182k miles a few months ago.

Proper N52 fuel pump operation is stupid-easy to diagnose with a test light on the power feed line and a gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. With a test light on the pump power wire, the test light should flick on for a couple of seconds when the key is turned to position 1 (or even driver's door opened) then turn off. If it does, yet there's no fuel at the schrader (even depressing the valve with a pick should release some fuel), you either have a faulty pump or a 100% blocked filter/line. If over 100k miles, the filter should be changed anyway. Running the tanks consistently below 1/4 tank tends to shorten the life of the pumps, as they are liquid-cooled. In my case, I'd accidentally ran the tank down until the low fuel light had come on a few days prior to my pump failure; I normally fill up at a half-tank.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.