Thread: 740i Daytime Running Lights

My Cars
    2016 BMW 740i; 2015 X4

740i Daytime Running Lights

Okay, a stupid question......

I just bought a 2016 740i, and the iDrive has the "Daytime Running Lights" switched "On". However, I don't see the lights lit up.

I can hit the "Fog Lights" switch on the dashboard, and the lights come on (the strip of three lights, under each headlight).

I *assume* these lights are used for both: fog-lights and DRL, correct? Thus, the DRL "On" switch must not be working?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    Daytime running lights are the corona rings (angel eyes).

Edit: I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that's been standard for years now.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2016 BMW 740i; 2015 X4
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Daytime running lights are the corona rings (angel eyes).

Edit: I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that's been standard for years now.
    Thanks! I was wondering about that, but have never seen the angel eyes referred to as DRL.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by inncntman View Post
    Okay, a stupid question......

I just bought a 2016 740i, and the iDrive has the "Daytime Running Lights" switched "On". However, I don't see the lights lit up.

I can hit the "Fog Lights" switch on the dashboard, and the lights come on (the strip of three lights, under each headlight).

I *assume* these lights are used for both: fog-lights and DRL, correct? Thus, the DRL "On" switch must not be working?

Thanks in advance!
    Assuming you have LED headlights...if you start the engine...and were to stand in front of your car...you wouldn't see #5 (the corona rings) illuminated? As mentioned above, BMW has been using the corona rings (aka angel eyes) as DRLs since around the 2011/2012 model year when they started making them LEDs (the rings).

And again, assuing you have LED headlights...you can see that #5 is what illuminates when you have DRLs activated. If you have bi-xenon headlamps...then the DRLs will be the circular angel eyes around each headlight.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-14-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2016 BMW 740i; 2015 X4
    Thanks! I had Google'd 740I DRLs, and several replacement vendors showed the fog-light assy as the DRLs.

My last 5-Series (2007) didn't have the halo lights as DRLs. I later moved to an E-Class, then a CLS550, but have now come back to BMW, and I am getting reacquainted with the various terms.

I had actually tested it, by turning off the DRLs in the daytime, and the halos were still on. However, I was in a somewhat dim parking garage (perhaps the car sensed that it was evening).

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by inncntman View Post
    I had actually tested it, by turning off the DRLs in the daytime, and the halos were still on. However, I was in a somewhat dim parking garage (perhaps the car sensed that it was evening).
    Yeah, if you had the lights set to AUTO...and were in a parking garage...that could very well trigger the lowbeams to come on (like when you enter a dark tunnel during the daytime...the low beams will come on if you have the headlights in AUTO mode).

And you can see in the diagram above...that #5 is the low beams as well as the DRLs.

And your 2007 5 series...the AE's weren't DRLs because back then, they weren't bright enough...it wasn't until BMW switched to the brighter LED (angel eyes/corona rings)...that BMWs came from the factory with the AE's being used as such. Up til then, either the high beams or low beams were used at reduced power. Also, this is when Angel Eyes started to be called Corona Rings...due to them being much brighter.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)