Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uro control arms - any direct experience?

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    zubbie: Kona isn't all that. Biker got in a head-on this morning, was found 200 feet off the road. My brother builds swimming pools there, it's a different work economy: $800 a day for skilled labor regardless whether the day is 2 hours or 12. Everyone is on someone's payroll, but seldom show up for work, they go where the cash is. This is fine when there's work, but exodus when things crash, as they occasionally do in an overheated economy. Kona is too hot for many of us, but nice to visit. I've seen it grow from the 60's to now, and there must be 8 or 10 times the population density. Back in the days when dope arrived, to cool factor of Kona went to H-E-double chopsticks as paranoia levels rose. There is still a lot of that.

de Witt: Not gonna move. (Rant deleted).

ross1: thanks for writing most of the DIY, it pretty much sums the job, though I think it can be done without the attitude. Guy wants to send my some new parts, which I need, for a job that at least according to you, doesn't require much mental effort. Let him. He could be right that this E34 dies before the arms do, or I sell it, or.... not. When/whether the parts fail, having gotten them free, I may not send them back. If they fail soon, what would be the point? Another set of the same? No, if they last for a year they'll be better than what I have, and the repeat labor is as you've made obvious above, not so much. I own my cars by the work I put into them. I should also get out more often.

I still have to rustle up the energy to properly check out all the bits in the front end, including shock mounts and a few other things. Though the spirit of imagination is strong, the spirit of elbow grease is not so much.
    Last edited by Honolulu; 04-22-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "ross1: thanks for writing most of the DIY, it pretty much sums the job, though I think it can be done without the attitude. Guy wants to send my some new parts, which I need, for a job that at least according to you, doesn't require much mental effort. Let him. He could be right that this E34 dies before the arms do, or I sell it, or.... not. When/whether the parts fail, having gotten them free, I may not send them back. If they fail soon, what would be the point? Another set of the same? No, if they last for a year they'll be better than what I have, and the repeat labor is as you've made obvious above, not so much. I own my cars by the work I put into them. I should also get out more often."

It's pretty clear that Uro remains desperate to curry favor here without ever making a decent product. They tried this a few years back too. I believe one of the posters in this thread was working for one of their retailers at the time and defending the brand but not anymore.
    You make a very good point that it should be better than the current worn out bits. I make a good point that these will soon be same.
    If the attitude you perceived is because of my "put down your purse" phrase be assured it isn't directed at you but at the novices who will start threads regarding suspension work complaining that this or that won't come off when it turns out they are working with 3/8" drive tools and a claw hammer.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
    de Witt: Not gonna move. (Rant deleted).
    Post your rant.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Ross1: no offense taken, after all this is the internet.

deWitt: RANT ON, thusly:

Kona isn't all that. I grew up in Hilo, on the other side of the island. Back then, a trip to Kona was an occasion, being on the far side of the world given the limited transportation opportunities and generally abysmal roads. But things got better (shameless plug: my dad ran the State Highways Division, Hawaii District) and cars got faster and more capable. But in the mid-1960s, EVERYONE who could, grew dope. And smoked dope. And ripped off anyone who had dope. And stole stuff to buy dope. Things went downhill, and Kona wasn't cool.

Now my brother lives in Kona and builds swimming pools. All the skilled labor (and a lot of not-so-skilled guys) are on someone's payroll somewhere, but they all work each day where the cash is. So my bro has to call out the the excavator mafia, then the ironworkers mafia, then the shotcrete mafia, then the tilesetter mafia, etc., to get individuals, not companies, to man his jobs. He pays I think $800/day, whether the day is 2 hours long or 12 hours. Now, if you're one of those workers, it's all cash, no taxes, and we all know what happens when a young loon gets a wad of cash: same as when a young musician or actor gets rich quick. Same as taking more than enough Vitamin C, as my dad said: you just piss it away. The point of all this is that in good times, easy money corrupts the public ethic, and in bad times things the money dries up and go bad pretty quick.

Then there are the recent, entitled arrivals who apparently think (no, they firmly believe) that the world owes them a good-paying job despite not having any connections and without having put in the time to build a rep, establish connections, or be recognized for whatever they can bring to the table. Soon enough, they're broke and busted, full of piss and vinegar, and blaming it on everybody but the ugly, lazy unshaven longhair in the mirror. And where's my weed? (or crack, or speed, or heroin, lots of heroin in Kona). The get so painfully sour, they rant and go back to the mainland without ever really trying to integrate into what can (still) be a pretty cool, laid back scene. They go back to the mainland soon thereafter, hating on Hawaii.

Then there's the Paradise Tax, or the high cost of living. It was estimated years ago that Hawaii is 38% more expensive to live in, on average. I tell you it can be more than that. I'm a licensed, working civil engineer since 1984 and I try not to pay attention to the opportunity of maybe an immediate 40% pay raise, just for doing what I have been doing, in CONUS rather than Hawaii. My last off-island vacation was 2.5 years ago. My bestie from back in the day recently died of kidney failure a year older than me, and it's a $350 round trip (plus car!) to go see his mom, sisters and kids. It's just less than 250 miles away, but interisland travel is a monopoly, has been since forever.

All of this pains me. I grew up here and though it's not what it was, and I live on Oahu now (1.2 million of us on an island 20 miles by 30, much of it the uninhabitable interior), everybody has to live somewhere, hopefully in relative tranquility. I have in my own estimation been frugal, lucky, and kept my nose mostly to the grindstone. I can afford a free car (that needs as much work as it may be worth, hopefully) to noodle around with. Free parts that are easy to install? Shoots why not.

Still not gonna move, though
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Ask an Icelander sometime how they feel about geography and shipping expenses. At least you don't have to pay import duties, to the tune of 35% if memory serves, from everywhere that isn't your island of 320k people that produces nothing except fish, books, and hot water.

As one put it to me once: "Every time I import something, which is often, I think to myself, 'f--k this! I'm leaving!'... and then I look at the sunset from my geothermal hot tub... and after years of that pattern, I'm still here."

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Come to Illinois, for the weather, stay for the taxes.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    Put Uro on the front of my E34.
    Few months later replaced with Lemfoerder.

Uro is trash

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    For a DIY? As if this is lacking on the internet. Be sure to let us know when these parts fail. We'll also be expecting another shipping rant as you'll be on the hook to send this junk back to exchange for another set, unless one spanking is enough for you too.
    I suspect Uro's hope is that our E34s are so elderly even a short lived component will out live them, or at least an owner's patience to keep the car. Perhaps not a bad strategy.
    Here's my control arm DIY:
    Lift the car to a suitable working height and support on jack stands. Put down your purse, go get some big wrenches and big hammers. Remove whatever is in the way. Unscrew the old part, two fasteners folks it should be self evident. Use a pickle fork and BFH or ball joint separator or both to release the taper on the ball joint end. Put the new part in place leaving the pivot bolt loose. Replace whatever you removed for access. Lower the car on the ground or ramps to load the suspension and tighten the snot out of the pivot bolt. Done. If using "crappy" parts repeat in a year or so.
    Whew lad.

E34s are to the age where anything that can be done has been done and is well documented. If people actually used the search function, there would seldom be new threads
    Last edited by T444E; 04-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    various

Talking

Ross1: no offense taken, after all this is the internet.

deWitt: RANT ON, thusly:

Kona isn't all that. I grew up in Hilo, on the other side of the island. Back then, a trip to Kona was an occasion, being on the far side of the world given the limited transportation opportunities and generally abysmal roads. But things got better (shameless plug: my dad ran the State Highways Division, Hawaii District) and cars got faster and more capable. But in the mid-1960s, EVERYONE who could, grew dope. And smoked dope. And ripped off anyone who had dope. And stole stuff to buy dope. Things went downhill, and Kona wasn't cool.

Now my brother lives in Kona and builds swimming pools. All the skilled labor (and a lot of not-so-skilled guys) are on someone's payroll somewhere, but they all work each day where the cash is. So my bro has to call out the the excavator mafia, then the ironworkers mafia, then the shotcrete mafia, then the tilesetter mafia, etc., to get individuals, not companies, to man his jobs. He pays I think $800/day, whether the day is 2 hours long or 12 hours. Now, if you're one of those workers, it's all cash, no taxes, and we all know what happens when a young loon gets a wad of cash: same as when a young musician or actor gets rich quick. Same as taking more than enough Vitamin C, as my dad said: you just piss it away. The point of all this is that in good times, easy money corrupts the public ethic, and in bad times things the money dries up and go bad pretty quick.

Then there are the recent, entitled arrivals who apparently think (no, they firmly believe) that the world owes them a good-paying job despite not having any connections and without having put in the time to build a rep, establish connections, or be recognized for whatever they can bring to the table. Soon enough, they're broke and busted, full of piss and vinegar, and blaming it on everybody but the ugly, lazy unshaven longhair in the mirror. And where's my weed? (or crack, or speed, or heroin, lots of heroin in Kona). The get so painfully sour, they rant and go back to the mainland without ever really trying to integrate into what can (still) be a pretty cool, laid back scene. They go back to the mainland soon thereafter, hating on Hawaii.

Then there's the Paradise Tax, or the high cost of living. It was estimated years ago that Hawaii is 38% more expensive to live in, on average. I tell you it can be more than that. I'm a licensed, working civil engineer since 1984 and I try not to pay attention to the opportunity of maybe an immediate 40% pay raise, just for doing what I have been doing, in CONUS rather than Hawaii. My last off-island vacation was 2.5 years ago. My bestie from back in the day recently died of kidney failure a year older than me, and it's a $350 round trip (plus car!) to go see his mom, sisters and kids. It's just less than 250 miles away, but interisland travel is a monopoly, has been since forever.

All of this pains me. I grew up here and though it's not what it was, and I live on Oahu now (1.2 million of us on an island 20 miles by 30, much of it the uninhabitable interior), everybody has to live somewhere, hopefully in relative tranquility. I have in my own estimation been frugal, lucky, and kept my nose mostly to the grindstone. I can afford a free car (that needs as much work as it may be worth, hopefully) to noodle around with. Free parts that are easy to install? Shoots why not.

Still not gonna move, though
    Wow. I love it. makes me feel a little lucky where I live. (East Coast) Funnily I meant coffee when I mentioned Kona but your version is more interesting.

Not moving either.
    Last edited by zubbie; 04-24-2019 at 04:55 PM.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Uro says via PM that the arms have shipped. Game on.

T444E: Yes there are DIY's all over the place about control arm replacement. What Uro is looking for is a review, and I'll post that. Proper use of the Search function would probably terminate ALL new posts for cars older than (a certain number of years), but here we are... continuing to impart our hard-earned wisdom to the more recent arrivals. Go figure.

zubbie, you're not moving? Smart move.
    Charlie

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Right thrust arm bushing Uro.jpgHeeeee'ssss baaaaack.

Uro PM'd me last Friday the arms would ship from CA. Today, the following Friday, they arrived, one week en route is about par for shipping to Hawaii. When I got home I tore open the box. Drew: thanks for the cupholder, I'll find something to do with it. A little laigniappe, eh?

So on to the parts review. I got two arms, individually wrapped in plastic, inside an appropriately sized box. Those who've received itty-bitty parts in big boxes will appreciate. The box is single wall cardboard and seems not to have suffered egregiously bad handling. How ya gonna damage steel items like these, anyway? Open box, examine parts: no excess casting flash, black enamel, no markings other than "R" and "L" since they're side-specific. New nylock nuts gently screwed on the ball joint threads, over plastic protectors. Pretty standard so far. Bushings green and approximately centered in the hole end of the arms.

The threaded ball joint was tighter than I could move it by hand. This required some bumping when I installed, to get it lined up in the hole, but it was made to happen. Stiffness not an issue, the car will certainly loosen this up.

But there's a fly in the ointment, if I can post a pic it will be obvious (edit: can't from home 'puter. Maybe on Monday from office). The bushings are marked and have to be pressed into the arms in a specific orientation. The R side (only) was off by maybe 15 degrees (eyeballling) and as shown in the photo, if I can attach it. Maybe this matters, maybe not. I tried to rotate the bushing in the arm using my 18" pipe wrench and an appropriate amount of force (no BFH) and it wouldn't rotate. I didn't expect it to, so I'm even here. To me, this was not sufficient to call for a return.

Removed the old arm from the car, noted the ball joint/tapered bolt was very loose. Bushing is a light blue color, the new arms are light green. Bushing stiffness seems about comparable to the OE BMW parts removed from the car. I had tried moving the old arm and couldn't get any indication of play. Now I know better. Installed new arm, using 1/2" drive bar and sockets. Put wheel back on, lowered to a 4x6 block, tightened bolt. Alles gut.

Overall, and for only one arm, things seem okay with the slight reservation that the bushing wasn't quite straight on one arm. When I get the other on, I'll add commentary on that. Note this is mostly a parts review and as stated above, such DIY's are all over the 'net and in video form, so I've not detailed that effort. Suffice to say, 22 mm 1/2" drive socket with breaker bar and ratchet, 22 mm combo wrench, BFH and pickle fork, large arc-joint pliers. No skin lost this time. Overall about an hour job in fading light.

Edited, the following evening: put in the other thrust arm. Again, the old one (both old ones are marked BMW) had a loose tapered bolt. The car no longer has that wobbly clunk sound up front, so from that perspective the job is a success. We'll see, over time, whether bushing rotational accuracy is important. My expectation is that for low angles, it won't be. But we live and learn... While I was there (many a good story begins, this isn't one of those) I unbolted the left control arm and let it dangle so I could assess whether the ball joint on that part was worn or not. I'm happy to say it was snug and appears good for many more miles. There are lots of things to do with the car still, including rectifying seat twist in both fronts, consider a VANOS rebuild, dog bones look poorly, and interior needs more strenuous cleaning, some attention to the sunroof headliner, etc., but these are minor matters compared to the aggravation of the front end. Still have to get a run on the freeway to see if the wobble at 55 is gone, I expect it will be, but am prepared for a wheel balance if not.

Drew at URO, if you're reading this, hope you're satisfied with the review in exchange for the free parts. Thanks very much for stepping up with that generous offer. I've tried to publish an accurate and unbiased assessment. Despite the naysayers here, and only time will tell, it appears Uro parts deserve consideration.
    Last edited by Honolulu; 05-06-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Charlie

My Cars
    E34T
    The bushings are marked and have to be pressed into the arms in a specific orientation. The R side (only) was off by maybe 15 degrees (eyeballling) and as shown in the photo, if I can attach it. Maybe this matters, maybe not.
    It does. Re-pressing is the solution.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    it should be like this http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/ctrl5.jpg
    Last edited by shogun; 05-05-2019 at 04:40 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Thanks Shogun, I know well what correct alignment is supposed to look like. Years ago, I pressed in bushings for my E32 when I had access to a nice hydraulic press. I've saved the old thrust arms, which still have decent bushings in them. If I can get them out using my vise, I'll have a spare set. The pic I will post on Monday (can't from the home 'puter) will show the extent of mis-alignment.
    Charlie

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    So, the new Uro thrust arms(provided for review) have the bushings installed incorrectly.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 530i
    Just a quick word of caution about removing / reinstalling bushings, I had sold a set of spherical bearings (similar to the Moosehead) to a guy with new arms that came with the E32 bushings (whatever the HD bushings are). I pressed the rubber bushings out of his new arms and installed the sphericals for him, with the intention of using his rubber bushings in my arms. When I went to use them, however, the outer sleeves had not returned to the original diameter, they stayed in the compressed state from the initial installation. They almost slid into the control arm bore by hand. Has anyone else experienced this before?

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Hi Ross1. Well, it proves we don't cherry-pick parts for review, lol. It's probably an anomaly but we'll have Engineering do an investigation, to ensure QC will keep a closer eye on bushing indexing for these arms from now on.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by URO Parts View Post
    Hi Ross1. Well, it proves we don't cherry-pick parts for review, lol. It's probably an anomaly but we'll have Engineering do an investigation, to ensure QC will keep a closer eye on bushing indexing for these arms from now on.
    Perhaps you should have. More importantly it demonstrates (expected) poor quality.
    Engineering investigation, eh?
    Last edited by ross1; 05-07-2019 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    1994 540i/6, 1992 325ic
    Lol.

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    One of our engineers went through all the stock currently on the shelf (you can see through the clear plastic bag) in the warehouse, and all had correctly-indexed bushings. Honolulu must have received the 1-in-1,000 (or 1-in-5,000) arm that had a bushing slightly mis-indexed. It's unfortunate and we'd be happy to send Honolulu another control arm if he'd like one, but there's not anything to change on the production line since we can't find any more examples of the issue.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Drew, I don't need/want another thrust arm, the pair installed are working fine. The photo posted speaks for itself. The statistic down here on the farm is that I got a "1 in 2" incorrectly indexed bushing. Strange things happen with too-limited sample size. Are there other parts you want me to try out? Dog bones could be next...
    Charlie

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by URO Parts View Post
    One of our engineers went through all the stock currently on the shelf (you can see through the clear plastic bag) in the warehouse, and all had correctly-indexed bushings. Honolulu must have received the 1-in-1,000 (or 1-in-5,000) arm that had a bushing slightly mis-indexed. It's unfortunate and we'd be happy to send Honolulu another control arm if he'd like one, but there's not anything to change on the production line since we can't find any more examples of the issue.
    I'm glad you guys are being responsive. From what I've seen, the form, fit, and function of URO parts is usually good, but the quality/durability is severely lacking. The lifespan of your critical components is very poor compared to the longevity of the OEM manufacturers of parts for these cars. I don't know the root causes but I would guess it has to do with materials quality/pedigree, manufacturing tolerances, and quality control practices.

That being said, I have noticed in recent years (first hand direct experience) that the "reputable" manufacturers of major components on e34s/e32s/e36s have very noticeable diminished quality in their parts, and that's just from visual examination, not to even mention the long-term performance. I know it's anecdotal evidence but this has been extremely disappointing. I have even seen this with genuine parts from BMW; a part manufactured from a lot produced only 10 years ago had a level of quality to it that was perfection to the point of feeling almost like a "work of art". I've seen the same part number(s) from recent manufacturing lots which had an immediately apparent lack of build and material quality (from both OE manufacturers and genuine BMW).

I guess anything to increase the bottom line and short-term profits, but that's a whole other rant

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    That being said, I have noticed in recent years (first hand direct experience) that the "reputable" manufacturers of major components on e34s/e32s/e36s have very noticeable diminished quality in their parts, and that's just from visual examination, not to even mention the long-term performance. I know it's anecdotal evidence but this has been extremely disappointing. I have even seen this with genuine parts from BMW; a part manufactured from a lot produced only 10 years ago had a level of quality to it that was perfection to the point of feeling almost like a "work of art". I've seen the same part number(s) from recent manufacturing lots which had an immediately apparent lack of build and material quality (from both OE manufacturers and genuine BMW).

I guess anything to increase the bottom line and short-term profits, but that's a whole other rant
    I'll second this.

My impression is that rubber parts are harder to make correctly, in terms of both function and durability, compared to metal ones. I've used cheap tierods for ages without incident, but seen a lot of problems with bushings and mounts. Furthermore, they're more likely to have subtle drivability issues than rigid parts - there's no wiggle room between a good tierod and a loose one, but a slightly too soft bushing can test ok yet work poorly - and that goes double for fussy German suspensions. I'd be interested to hear what engineers or anyone else at Üro (fake umlaut irritates me - I don't listen to Mötorhead, either - but I'll use it because I'm pedantic) has to say about this.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Agreed about the rubber. Especially curious as these parts are Asian, you'd think they'd do rubber correctly.
    I've seen URO tie rod and ball joint boots fail in a year which spells doom for the joint. Bushings are craptastic for sure.
    I wish I had photographed the Jaguar thermostat housing I was once forced to use. Looked as if a corroded original was cast in Play-Doh. It later failed.
    I think the general decline in old car parts is a reflection of the vehicles (typical) value and the $$ owners are willing to spend. Pay shit, get shit.
    This whole bit of lip service from Uro amuses me. "Engineer" (works at the warehouse?)inspecting parts, please.
    I've said it before, there is a place for the cheapest without regard for quality and Uro has that segment nailed. Just not on any car I touch, even for free.
    Last edited by ross1; 05-18-2019 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    I'll second this.

My impression is that rubber parts are harder to make correctly, in terms of both function and durability, compared to metal ones. I've used cheap tierods for ages without incident, but seen a lot of problems with bushings and mounts. Furthermore, they're more likely to have subtle drivability issues than rigid parts - there's no wiggle room between a good tierod and a loose one, but a slightly too soft bushing can test ok yet work poorly - and that goes double for fussy German suspensions. I'd be interested to hear what engineers or anyone else at Üro (fake umlaut irritates me - I don't listen to Mötorhead, either - but I'll use it because I'm pedantic) has to say about this.
    It’s Motörhead , and their umlaut is supposed to be a joke (kind of like Üro’s quality)

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    This whole bit of lip service from Uro amuses me. "Engineer" (works at the warehouse?)inspecting parts, please.
    Hi Ross1, you're certainly welcome to come by and visit our facility next time you're in the Los Angeles area. We'd be more than happy to have our engineers demonstrate how all of the various testing and measuring equipment in our lab works, and if you bring a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, they'd probably be willing to present their engineering degrees.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast