Thread: So, how does this work? If you are thinking about

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK

So, how does this work? If you are thinking about

selling your car, do you keep it to yourself, never uttering the words around your E38? Or, are you openly talking about it, tempting fate?

Seriously, I love my car. I love wrenching on it and tackling the various issues that come up. I have a couple of things to work on for the summer but nothing difficult. Luckily for me, the previous owner took plenty good care of her for me prior to my stewardship.

Still, I am shown some cool cars from time to time. An S8. An MB SL600. A Land Rover. All newer cars. But, you get the idea.

So, if I decide to sell, do I keep my pie-hole shut and just act nonchalant around her or am I open and honest and let the world know she may be up for sale...even talking about it while driving?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I suggest spicing things up in the garage by bringing a third to the mix. After your fling with a younger car you will begin to resent the electronic gadgets that separate you from the pure experience of driving. You will begin to notice the little things. Taking a twisting road and feeling a slightly numb disconnect from the steering. Turning the corner in a parking garage and missing the classic silhouette of your e38. In time you will return to her and you will mock the memory of your foolish past.

Life is too short for that regret. Always telling people of the car you used to have and loved so much... A man can only take so much. It may break you. You might spiral out of control and do something insane. Maybe buy an Accord or a Jetta . A sad attempt to distance your self from the haunting memory of love and loss.

Bedenke das Ende.

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    I like your writing style Stillife!

We are getting a thunderstorm right now and I left her out in the rain. I kind of feel bad about it. Even after just having it ceramic coated.

I will drive her tomorrow and forget all about this nonsense of selling her.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillife View Post
    I suggest spicing things up in the garage by bringing a third to the mix. After your fling with a younger car you will begin to resent the electronic gadgets that separate you from the pure experience of driving. You will begin to notice the little things. Taking a twisting road and feeling a slightly numb disconnect from the steering. Turning the corner in a parking garage and missing the classic silhouette of your e38. In time you will return to her and you will mock the memory of your foolish past.

Life is too short for that regret. Always telling people of the car you used to have and loved so much... A man can only take so much. It may break you. You might spiral out of control and do something insane. Maybe buy an Accord or a Jetta . A sad attempt to distance your self from the haunting memory of love and loss.

Bedenke das Ende.
    If I ever sell my car, I want you to write the ad!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyE38 View Post
    I like your writing style Stillife!

We are getting a thunderstorm right now and I left her out in the rain. I kind of feel bad about it. Even after just having it ceramic coated.

I will drive her tomorrow and forget all about this nonsense of selling her.
    Glad we are over that moment of doubt. Treat her well.

Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    If I ever sell my car, I want you to write the ad!
    No guarantees to help the sale price but I do promise that the new buyer will evaluate their life choices before such a commitment.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillife View Post
    No guarantees to help the sale price but I do promise that the new buyer will evaluate their life choices before such a commitment.
    Lol!

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    It's funny my daughter just started driving and has had some pretty rough patches with breakdowns. I told her that cars run on love and she doesn't love her car enough. BMW's are like beagles they need love all the time or the are going to pee and crap on everything you own. I can't even imagine how many hours I have spent washing, cleaning and repairing my E38? When I get on the road it is all worth it.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I'm always wondering the age old dilemma; at what point my car should be considered to be "new". Say when 51% of the parts replaced, would it be a new car with some old parts on it?
    I'm probably approaching that figure.
    But of course "love" helps as well!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    I'm always wondering the age old dilemma; at what point my car should be considered to be "new". Say when 51% of the parts replaced, would it be a new car with some old parts on it?
    I'm probably approaching that figure.
    But of course "love" helps as well!
    Ah well that is an age old metaphysical dilemma about identity. Many minds have challenged this paradoxical thought experiment. In the dark shadowy corners of the academic world I lean towards Spatio-temporal continuity with a few paradoxical exceptions.
    Last edited by Stillife; 04-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.

My Cars
    96 750il
    Careful, if you have thought it, she already knows....... Apologize immediately!

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    I made up with her. I threw on some new OEM kidneys and a side moulding. Both were looking long in the tooth and I wanted her to be pretty.

Oddly, the local to me 60K/mile identical build car as mine from then neighborhood just drove by. I was in the awkward position of having to decline to make an offer on it after seeing the rust in the wheel wells. The car sounded great but man oh man, rust, ABS light on, etc...I forgot how well-sorted mine is.