RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2004 325xi vibration and rumbling on acceleration and turns

My Cars
    2004 325xi e46

2004 325xi vibration and rumbling on acceleration and turns

so I was experiencing some rumbling / vibration when accelerating from low gears or stop and clunking when letting off clutch into shifting. also a slight vibration when reaching 55 and above.

Me and paps got underneath to clunk around and try and diagnose. The last replace we did was front driver axle and some CV boots both sides, ball joints and control arm on driver side.

So we went under, guibo looked ok and we weren't sure how much play should be in the driveshaft. Center bearing was showing signs of wear so we went ahead and replaced it. Put everything back together, had some trouble with head shield hitting something when we ran it up on the jacks, but here's the kicker.

We take it for a drive, I accelerate and the rumbling from before is there, MORE aggressive and loud. even happens more often. The clunk on shift is basically gone, and the vibration at highway speeds is almost gone, but the vibration on acceleration and even stopping (less pronounced on stops) is there and worse now.

Could we have missed something on the reinstall? definetly should have just done the guibo too, would that be the cause? wanna get a good idea before we start pullin it apart again and go through all that, thanks in advance

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If the vibration is from the rear driveshaft, replace the whole thing. Replacing the center bearing will not solve an acceleration vibration from the driveshaft. If you only had a runbling noise, then replacing just the center bearing may clear it up, but the bearing doesn't have enough influence over the driveshaft to cause (or cure) a vibration.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2004 325xi e46
    I wish I could let you hear the noises. it's like when I accelerate there's definetly "vibration" but it comes in the form of a "duhduhduhduh" like a rolling steady bumpbumpbump, card in the spokes of a bike but obviously a deeper noise. it happens more on harder load on acceleration, and happens on corners too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    If the vibration is from the rear driveshaft, replace the whole thing. Replacing the center bearing will not solve an acceleration vibration from the driveshaft. If you only had a runbling noise, then replacing just the center bearing may clear it up, but the bearing doesn't have enough influence over the driveshaft to cause (or cure) a vibration.
    Should've quoted post for the above, new to these forums

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If it's coming from under the car, then it's likely the rear driveshaft. If it's coming from the front axle, then it's likely one of the front half-shafts.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. By "rumbling noise" in the previous post, I was referring to a constant growling or grinding-type noise that one associates with a heavily-weighted bearing that is worn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.