Thread: New Gremlim

My Cars
    bmw 520i e39

New Gremlim

Hi. I have a new gremlim in the electrical system that has me a little worried. When raising or lowering the window of the car, when it reaches the end of the route the glass continues pushing for a moment. Then the obd clock and radio turn off and on again. It also happens when entering the car when the window pushes when closing. Dome lights dim for a moment and then recover. I'll post a video but in the meantime, do you have any idea what it can be?

My Cars
    bmw 520i e39

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    It could be a number of things.
    Are your batteries sufficiently charged? will they start the engine? I suggest always having the car on a charger while you explore electrical problems
    After that , it could be a host of things but that can't be diagnosed without troubleshooting your vehicle.
    The E31's are getting old and the various modules, relays along with the 12V supply/ground wiring can become problematic but again that is stabbing in the dark.
    If you have a BMW DIS available there maybe fault codes in the Body Electronics or Window Module that could help.

However first:
    I suggest trying the window Toll operation; tap the window up/down buttons so the window opens/closes the full range automatically.
    If the Toll operation doesn't work the window control needs to be reinitialized.
    To initialize the window travel:
    Sit in the drivers seat with the door closed and the key in the accessory position.
    Push & hold the window down direction button until the window is fully open and continue holding the button for at least 3 seconds until the control shuts off.
    Then push & hold the window up direction button until the window is fully closed and continue holding the button for at least 3 seconds until the control shuts off.
    The window automatic up/down toll operation should operate normally.
    If the toll operation is not functioning after the initialization there is obviously other problems and BMW DIS (Diagnostic Information System) should be used to explore Fault codes.