Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Need advice from detailers!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i M

Need advice from detailers!

Cleaning and detailing my e39 is a big hobby for me. The other day a piece of something (sand maybe) got under my buffing pad and I put light circular scratches over a ton of my hood I don't have a polisher but I have a Ryobi cordless buffer that I use to buff wax in when I have time. Because of these scratches, and just the fact that I've wanted a polisher for a long time I'm in the market for a polisher setup.
    I doubt I'll have much trouble finding a good polisher - I'm curious if drill attachments work but I'm definitely getting a legit polisher tool.

Here's my question:
    I know it's smart to have a variety of abrasion level pads and compounds, so what's a good set to get as a starter kit? What polishing compounds should I get and what buffing pads are good as well? I want recommendations cause I can't find much info online right now that I'd trust.
    Probably gonna get a 7" buffer

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved from to this area where you'll likely get more experienced input.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    For someone just starting out, you might want to have a look at the Griot's BOSS system. It takes away a lot of the mystery and confusion about pads and polishes and it works very well.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    I’d recommend a Griots Garage 6” polisher with a 5” backing plate. The 5” plate will make the polisher more versatile than a 6” or 7” plate. I’d suggest getting the polisher with 25’ cord; I got the one with 10’ cord and having to mess with an extension cord is a pain since it’s always getting disconnected.

For pads, you’ll want a compounding pad, polishing pad, and a finishing pad. I have Lake Country and Buff and Shine foam pads; I think 5 compounding (orange), 6 polishing (white), and 4 finishing (black) pads. I use the black pads for sealant and wax only. I also have Meguiars microfiber cutting pads. They’re more expensive than foam, but they’re worth the price (I think $24/pack of two).

I like to use Meguiar’s products for compound, polish, sealant, and wax. The M105/205 combo works well, but M105 dusts at ridiculous levels. There’s a new compound/polish system out, I think M110/210, and the new compound is supposed to dust a lot less.

I do most of my shopping with Autogeek/Autopia. They regularly have 25% off deals, free shipping, and free gifts, and they’ll price match. Great customer service too. Here’s a list of what I have:
    Last edited by Kong Sheng Han; 04-13-2019 at 03:13 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i M
    Cool cool, I'll look into those and snatch one soon. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk