Page 1 of 43 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3, from dual purpose to track only

My Cars
    1995 M3

E36 M3, from dual purpose to track only

I got bored.

Those safety bolts on the steering wheel column are a HUGE PIA. Still dremeling on the 2nd one.

Should I keep defrost? Or toss it all.

IMG_20190408_164929.resized.jpg

My Cars
    Vipers, e46m
    Keep it. If it rains and you are without, you'll be doing the squeegee on a stick method and that's not fun.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    That was my thought. And I don't think I'd car for the BW front electric defrost setup.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Removing A/C compressor, etc. Ug. Another PIA.

Anyone not run ANY radiator fans?
    Sitting on grid and red flag stops...might seem to be the issues.

IMG_20190409_125017.jpg

My Cars
    97 M3, 12 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Removing A/C compressor, etc. Ug. Another PIA.

Anyone not run ANY radiator fans?
    Sitting on grid and red flag stops...might seem to be the issues.

IMG_20190409_125017.jpg
    I've done it in the past, it ended up being a pain in the ass. Lots of track cars have no fans, but yeah, if you like to sit and idle for any length of time you should run one.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Update.

The OEM electric radiator fan mounts to the A/C condenser coils. I've removed the A/C, so have only 2 of 6 mount holes left. I don't feel like fabbing up a bracket, so am going to try fanless. I have digital water temp readout, so will pull in pits and sit for a bit and watch water temps and see what happens.

I'm still unsure if I'm keeping defrost/heat or not. That big monstrosity of flaps and motors is just obtrusive and it'd be nice to get rid of it, the heater coil, A/C evap coils, and all the wires that go with it. Still pondering. Without A/C, not sure how useful blowing hot air on the windshield is. I know it's better than nothing, but I'd hate to keep this thing in the car AND need the BW electric front window heater. More opinions appreciated.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    I just do HPDE.
    Mine is full stripped. To include door windows, Lexan in the rear (sedan).
    i have not needed any defrost here in the southeast. I have enjoyed some sprinkling wet sessions, but at a point it’s coming in the car I go in or not go out.
    Fans- I don’t have any. No use at speeds, If any long sitting I just cut it off. If late in session I just pull back to paddock anyway.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'm still 50/50 on removing full HVAC. But that big black plastic garbage can of stuff in the center of the car just looks wrong for track car. And I'd get rid of so many more wires. Most of the racers around here depend on Fog-X and worst case a small sponge on a stick of some kind to use down the straight. I'm sure it passes all orgs tech requirements.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Getting there.

Keep or remove windshield washer ? I don't ever remember using it on track in 8 years. But my memory isn't the best. lol.

IMG_20190415_155826.resized.jpg

IMG_20190415_155820.resized.jpg

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Decided to dump the heater/blower assembly. For the record, 21lbs. (Not including A/C compressor, A/C hoses, and A/C condenser).

IMG_20190417_135945.jpg

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Dump. It. All.

Bought my car as a shell and it's amazing how simple the wiring can be if you pull out anything that does not add to velocity or safety.

How about you pull EVERYTHING and then decide what is worth re-installing when you build a wiring harness. Not only do you simplify wiring, but it give you soooo much room to work. Also, I decided to go with a Spal wired to my toggle switches since it is an HPDE car and I wanted the ability to sit on grid.

Good luck!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Dump. It. All.

Bought my car as a shell and it's amazing how simple the wiring can be if you pull out anything that does not add to velocity or safety.

How about you pull EVERYTHING and then decide what is worth re-installing when you build a wiring harness. Not only do you simplify wiring, but it give you soooo much room to work. Also, I decided to go with a Spal wired to my toggle switches since it is an HPDE car and I wanted the ability to sit on grid.

Good luck!
    I'd read this before. And it's the right answer.

The thing that most people don't tell you, is that if you're ripping out most of the systems, you'll learn the ETM like the back of your hand anyway.
    So yea, if I did it again, I'd yank it all and do it right. But, I'm done except for ziptyes and looming. I'll probably be back in there next winter.

Q; Anyone keep their windshield washer?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I did not. And even with daily driving the car, I'd say there's only been once or twice in the last 5-6 years that I've missed it.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks. In 8 years of tracking, I don't recall using it once on track. Off it comes!

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    I'd read this before. And it's the right answer.

The thing that most people don't tell you, is that if you're ripping out most of the systems, you'll learn the ETM like the back of your hand anyway.
    So yea, if I did it again, I'd yank it all and do it right. But, I'm done except for ziptyes and looming. I'll probably be back in there next winter.

Q; Anyone keep their windshield washer?
    Like the tank and spray nozzles? Trash them. The only things I kept in my car, which I will unexpectedly have to drive to and from the track this year, are: wiper control module, hazards/turn signals, lights, cluster, ignition, ABS. Everything else is trashed.
    Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; 04-22-2019 at 01:21 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'm pretty close to your list (of course). But, I also dumped the hazard lights and high-beams. But kept the power windows!! I like be able to say "I still have the power windows" when people ask me if it's stripped. lol.

I think I'm going to dump the wiper control module too, and just put an on/off switch for slow speed, and get rid of all those wires. Rain-X and a slow speed on/off is all I'll ever need. I think.

I'm still working on my switch panel, but I moved the ign/start off the column. My key switch was getting iffy.

IMG_20190422_155804.jpg
    Last edited by aeronaut; 04-22-2019 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Of course dump the windshield washer stuff. However, my friends who race all swear by keepigng the defroster. I'm starting a Lemons E30 build now and we're going to keep the heater core/defroster.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Too late! lol. Fog-X FTW, and if I have to I'll install the bimmerworld electric windshield defroster. I'm happy with the decision so far.

FYI, I never realized how cheezy that upper steering column bearing is!
    But for the record, it's held in place by the ignition assembly. So, you can't just remove the assembly for a clean steering wheel column.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Too late! lol. Fog-X FTW, and if I have to I'll install the bimmerworld electric windshield defroster. I'm happy with the decision so far.

FYI, I never realized how cheezy that upper steering column bearing is!
    But for the record, it's held in place by the ignition assembly. So, you can't just remove the assembly for a clean steering wheel column.
    I suggest removing the locking bits from the bottom of the steering column switch housing. You'll still have the upper bearing and can safely remove the lock cylinder.
    The entire power window regulator and motor are only a couple of pounds so might as well have the convenience.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I suggest removing the locking bits from the bottom of the steering column switch housing. You'll still have the upper bearing and can safely remove the lock cylinder.
    The entire power window regulator and motor are only a couple of pounds so might as well have the convenience.
    Long gone. And now more gone.

IMG_20190511_101030.jpg

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Finally getting around to completing 3" exhaust. So, now have:
    - stock (OBDII) headers
    - BW y-pipe
    - 3" from y-pipe to tail pipe (some sections are oval)
    - a few v-bands (oh so nice)
    - Vibrant resonator
    - Magnaflow muffler

Finished up from "mid pipe area" to tail pipe yesterday.

IMG_20190602_180523.jpg

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Good call on the resonator!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yea, thanks, I'm pretty happy with it all.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Ripping out more wires.

Sanity check on temperature sensors needed.

Left (drivers) side air temperature sensor in the left front brake duct (shaped like a pin); only used for OBC? AKA, not needed.
    Right (passenger) side air temperature sensor in the right front brake duct (shaped flat); used by DME? And?? Definitely needed?

EDIT: reminder; 1995 (OBDI) E36 M3.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 06-16-2019 at 01:55 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Ok, I see the DME gets its air temp from a sensor on the throttle body. Makes sense.
    So, what's that sensor in the RH side brake duct?

Page 1 of 43 123456789101126 ... LastLast