Thread: I have a 2019 440i Gran Couple....what or F## is that?

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

I have a 2019 440i Gran Couple....what or F## is that?

I have a ton of other questions about this car also, but thought I'd post this question first to see if posting works for me as a new member.

Background: My wife and I are old farts, in our early 70s. We've had BMWs in the past. The last was a 3 series in 2013. Since then we've owned Merc C300s. Decided to go back to the Bimmer this time.

The new 2019 440i is a very nice performing car, but the electronics in some cases have us baffled (we've owned the car for all of 3 days). So I am hoping as time goes by I may ask questions here should I not be able to figure it out after reading the manual (I still do that even though I am a man <g>).

Deek

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Yea. They have a lot

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Yea. They have a lot
    Huh?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    F36 chassis. Ask away.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Deek99 View Post
    I have a ton of other questions about this car also, but thought I'd post this question first to see if posting works for me as a new member.

Background: My wife and I are old farts, in our early 70s. We've had BMWs in the past. The last was a 3 series in 2013. Since then we've owned Merc C300s. Decided to go back to the Bimmer this time.

The new 2019 440i is a very nice performing car, but the electronics in some cases have us baffled (we've owned the car for all of 3 days). So I am hoping as time goes by I may ask questions here should I not be able to figure it out after reading the manual (I still do that even though I am a man <g>).

Deek
    Not seeing a question here--unless you count that garbled thread title, which I wouldn't know how to answer. Good luck with the new car.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    F36 chassis. Ask away.
    Thanks....now I can better follow this forum.

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    Not seeing a question here--unless you count that garbled thread title, which I wouldn't know how to answer. Good luck with the new car.
    Ha, I read my title after reading what you wrote. And you are RIGHT! I meant to say "I have a 2019 440i Gran Couple....what model F## is that?". I had been skimming this forum, but many people refer to their cars with that F-number, so I was not sure if that was about my particular model.

I do have a question on the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). My wife told me she could not see them from outside the car when it was running, in Park, with the headlight switch set to "0". The manual (I'm about half way through it so far) implies in that "0" switch position the headlight are off, but the DRLs are on. I suspect our car might have the DRLs turned off elsewhere in the Settings menu on the iDrive system.

Can anyone verify my suspicions and direct me to where I can turn the DRLs on to keep my wife happy? <g>

Later.....I checked "Daytime Running Lights on the iDrive at Vehicle: Lights: Daytime Running Lights. They were off initially and I thought that solved the problem. Part of the problem might be I do not know how to identify the DRLs. I THOUGHT they were the "halo" or circular ring of lights around the headlights. However, even after my selection, that ring does not illuminate except when the Parking lights are selected at the headlight switch or if the headlight switch is turned to the "on" position. Those circular lights do not illuminate in the "O" position, nor in the Auto position (unless it's dark enough for the headlights to come on).

Any suggestions? I thought DRLs would show some sort of light at the front of the car anytime the car was operating, regardless of any headlight switch position.
    Last edited by Deek99; 04-11-2019 at 09:46 AM.

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Ha, I read my title after reading what you wrote. And you are RIGHT! I meant to say "I have a 2019 440i Gran Couple....what model F## is that?". I had been skimming this forum, but many people refer to their cars with that F-number, so I was not sure if that was about my particular model.

I do have a question on the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). My wife told me she could not see them from outside the car when it was running, in Park, with the headlight switch set to "0". The manual (I'm about half way through it so far) implies in that "0" switch position the headlight are off, but the DRLs are on. I suspect our car might have the DRLs turned off elsewhere in the Settings menu on the iDrive system.

Can anyone verify my suspicions and direct me to where I can turn the DRLs on to keep my wife happy? <g>

Later.....I checked "Daytime Running Lights on the iDrive at Vehicle: Lights: Daytime Running Lights. They were off initially and I thought that solved the problem. Part of the problem might be I do not know how to identify the DRLs. I THOUGHT they were the "halo" or circular ring of lights around the headlights. However, even after my selection, that ring does not illuminate except when the Parking lights are selected at the headlight switch or if the headlight switch is turned to the "on" position. Those circular lights do not illuminate in the "O" position, nor in the Auto position (unless it's dark enough for the headlights to come on).

Any suggestions? I thought DRLs would show some sort of light at the front of the car anytime the car was operating, regardless of any headlight switch position.
    The "halos" are the DRLs, and they should always be on when the car is on (wether lights are in AUTO or O), if you have them checked as "ON" in iDrive. Maybe a prior owner did some type of coding?
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    The "halos" are the DRLs, and they should always be on when the car is on (wether lights are in AUTO or O), if you have them checked as "ON" in iDrive. Maybe a prior owner did some type of coding?
    The "coding" in a possibility of course. This is a CPO car, and you'd think BMW would have reset everything to factory defaults, but who knows. We will drop by a BMW dealer later this month for a number of items to discuss with their "Genius" person. I am so old that I remember the days that your salesman would spend maybe an hour going over the various operations and options for your new car. However, with today's electronics, I suspose it's unreasonable to expect that. It took me a couple of hours to read through the Owner's Manual, and I took about 4 pages of notes for a later discussion! Heck, I flew navy aircraft until the 1990s, and they were not much more complicated that today's cars! <g>

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    I am so old that I remember the days that your salesman would spend maybe an hour going over the various operations and options for your new car.
    Maybe not an hour, but my salesman spent a fair amount of time when I bought my CPO in '15 going over all the functions--well, maybe not "all". If I thought he was rushing me, I'd just keep asking him Qs until I got all the info I needed.

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Yeah, that was my experience for every car I've bought (there have been many!) from dealers until this last sale. We really like the 2019 440i CPO we got, and most of what we did not understand 2 weeks ago we're figuring out on our own and with the help of the internet. He did show us the basics of pairing a cell phone, but that's about it. It would have saved a lot of OUR time to have gotten some good, more comprehensive instruction when we bought it. Have have both gone through the Owner's Manual in the last 2 weeks, but sometimes what's in there is not clear, and sometimes it discusses options we do not have. We have an appointment with the local dealer's "Genius person" Tuesday, but we've already been told to expect no more than 30 minutes of her time! Wow, that will handle maybe 3 of my questions below:

__H__ > Can I get a PDF manual for the car and its electronics? This link does not work:
    https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html

__H__ >We want to have the side view mirrors fold when the car is locked. I understand this is done this way: "your Bimmer has to have Comfort Access. To code it with BimmerCode <what's that?>, it’s found in the Front Electronics Module section. It’s done by setting a single parameter to Active": "Fold Mirrors when locking vehicle with Comfort Closing"

__H__ >Where are DRLs? When are they illuminated? How to turn them on? I turned DRL on in iDrive - nothing.
    Maybe this is another "coding" issue?

__M__ >Need to save Driver profiles on a USB thub drive once we have them set up. Thumb drive is in console.

__M__ >How to set button 9+ (through 40?) on the iDrive?

__M__ >Anyway to make the cruise control be on when the car is turned off? not activated, but turned on.

__M__ >RECALLS that may be outstanding:
    .Recall Subject: AIR Bags:passenger Side Frontal;Report Receipt Date: 08/15/2018
    NHTSA Campaign: 18v533000

.Engine and Engine Cooling:engine
    Report Receipt Date: 07/11/2018
    NHTSA Campaign: 18v465000

__M__ >How can I save addresses as navigation destination "favorites"? How do I save a trip I have built on iDrive for later use? Below is untried
    1. Enter all of the destinations as usual
    2. When you're on the screen where you see all the destinations, press OPTIONS
    3. You should see an option to "Store trip"
    -To access the stored trips, you have to tilt the iDrive puck to the left TWICE from the map display -- once gets to the icons on the left toolbar; the second tilt gets you back to a menu that has "Stored trips".

_M___ >Storing a trip you built:
    -When you are in the Guidance Screen (where you enter/add destinations to a trip), click Options and Store Trip will be one of the options. It then lets you name the trip.
    -When you stop guidance (click the flag at the top-left sidebar), a dialog box follows with Stop (or Start) Guidance. When this box is highlighted, click Option and you will see Store Trip under the Map heading

__L__ >We have connected two cell phones. Hers is #1, His is #2. What is the connection priority if she and he both approach the car simultaneously. (appears Hers #1 has priority even if #2 gets to the car first) Need to verify this

__L__ >With he and she in the car, is it possible that either phone receiving a call will "go through the car"? Understand that to make a call, we'd need to be sure that phone was the "default" phone.

__L__ >Press and hold REMOTE FOB to open windows & sunroofs and unlock. <verified – but range limited?>
    Press and hold DOOR lock button to close windows & sunroof and lock.<verified>
    However, cannot use the fob nor the button on the door to to do both operations.
    Is there a Vehicle Setting to make both activate via the FOB?

__L__ >What does the Red-Blue thumbwheel do on the dash and rear AC control panel?

__L__ >What is included in our Driving Assistance Package? ($500 option on our car)

__L__ >Do we have Frontal Collision Warning in this car? If so, I cannot find it anywhere.

__L__ >How to store a navigation contact from my paired phone onto the car's internal contact list? I have figured out how to send a location from my phone or the internet to the car, and save that “ConnectDrive: Messages” as a contact.
    Then press Option button and save with the Last Name field. You can do the same with Recent Destinations.
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Post the last 7 of your vin. Then we can look up what options your car came with... such as comfort access or collision warning.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Post the last 7 of your vin. Then we can look up what options your car came with... such as comfort access or collision warning.
    BM65305. I went to a couple of web sites, I forget which, and learned what 3 letter code "options" this car has. However, I cannot find much detail on what those are. Examples:
    697 DVD Area coding, North America
    ZDA Driving Assistance Pkg (5AS Active Driving Assistant, 8TH Speed Limit Info)
    ....and several others.

Does this car have a DVD of maps somewhere that is used by the car's navigation system? Can it be updated by the owner? Whatever- BMW's nav system is the best of the cars I have owned. (the Mercedes we traded had the WORST of any car I've owned).
    What is Speed that Limit Info? I'm guessing that is the white speed limit numbers posted in the in the lower portion of dash?

Another thing that amazes us: We apparently must look at the outside air temperature a lot when we drive. But we can only see that if we are not using the navigation system. Never had a car in the last 15 years that you could not always see the temp. Our last BMW's had it displayed in the rear-view mirror, but I can find no mention of that in the manual.

PS - I have a 2017 Miata RF which is my fun car <replaced a BMW motorcycle a year ago), but I have lusted after the Z3s and Z4s or many years! Your white one looks terrific. <G>
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Your decoded options are in the pdf I have attached.

BM65305.pdf

You have comfort access, and folding mirrors. Aftermarket coding (changing of digital settings) services can enable folding with locking doors, or holding your finger on the door handle sensor (comfort lock).
    Custom coding like that cannot be done by the dealerships. Bimmercode is an application for phone that can help you custom code it yourself. It works, but isn't perfect. (The program from BMW Engineering called ESYS is the gold standard... but it's quite complex).

The collision warning system is easily accessed with buttons just below your light switch. Your car should have this. (Cars without it have a convenient cubby there.)

Outside temperature is displayed on the instrument cluster. It's the topmost entry in the screen in the center of the cluster.

Maps are stored internally in the navigation/radio on its 200gb hard drive. You can update the maps through the dealer.

It seems you have the halogen headlights, so you do not have the angel eyes. DRL should already be active, you can easily check by putting car in drive and handbrake down, hold brakes while someone looks. If not, it's in the idrive menus.
    There is also a little green light icon on the cluster that shows you when they're on (not all models have this).

Cruise control be on all the time... not sure if possible. Maybe only through custom coding.

- - - Updated - - -

Thumbwheel simply allows you to partially override vent temperature to get warmer air though it. It's been a bmw thing since the beginning of time. Convenient in the winter when you want vents to blow cooler air while others blow warm.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-21-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Your decoded options are in the pdf I have attached.

BM65305.pdf

You have comfort access, and folding mirrors. Aftermarket coding (changing of digital settings) services can enable folding with locking doors, or holding your finger on the door handle sensor (comfort lock).
    Custom coding like that cannot be done by the dealerships. Bimmercode is an application for phone that can help you custom code it yourself. It works, but isn't perfect. (The program from BMW Engineering called ESYS is the gold standard... but it's quite complex).
    Rats, as my wife really wants the mirrors to fold whenever we park and lock the doors. We can of course do that manually, but we like the added reassurance that the doors are locked after we've walked 50 feet in the parking lot....old people forget things so easily! <g>

The collision warning system is easily accessed with buttons just below your light switch. Your car should have this. (Cars without it have a convenient cubby there.)
    Odd. We have three switches below the light switch. But they appear to control Lane Departure 1 <not using a signal>, Lane Departure 2 <using a signal but a car in the blind spot>, and something else which I have forgotten. You are probably correct, there is no cubby hole there. The "icon" on that switch doesn't look to us like it warns of a collision. I'll feel a fool if that's what that switch does.....but I'll check it out next time I drive.

Outside temperature is displayed on the instrument cluster. It's the topmost entry in the screen in the center of the cluster.
    On our car there are two orange lines with little triangles on either outside when we have the "Lane Departure" switch(es) pushed active. Maybe I need to experiment around more and leave one or more of those switches pushed inactive and see if there is a OAT indicator in that area. However, I'd sure like to have both the lane departure active AND the OAT indicator. I could do without the orange graphic easily if I could still have it do the lane departure and especially the blind spot monitoring.

Maps are stored internally in the navigation/radio on its 200gb hard drive. You can update the maps through the dealer.
    Roger that.

It seems you have the halogen headlights, so you do not have the angel eyes. DRL should already be active, you can easily check by putting car in drive and handbrake down, hold brakes while someone looks. If not, it's in the idrive menus.
    There is also a little green light icon on the cluster that shows you when they're on (not all models have this).
    We must have an issue then, as I have done as you suggested, including checking that the DRLs were turned ON in the iDrive. No lights during daylight. I have seen that little green icon when we have the headlights ON, and also in Auto if it's dark outside. But we have never seen what I would call DRLs like all my other cars have had. My Miata does not have them, my truck does, our Mercedes did.
    Stupid question: Maybe we are expecting to see something more obvious....what exactly should the DLRs look like?

Cruise control be on all the time... not sure if possible. Maybe only through custom coding.
    Ours is not active when ever the ignition is on <assuming it was push on>. It defaults to inactive each time the ignition is off. I must manually turn CC back on before I want to use it again. On previous cars, if I switched the ignition off but the cruise was active, it would be active when I restarted the car. On car I must once again make CC active.

- - - Updated - - -

Thumbwheel simply allows you to partially override vent temperature to get warmer air though it. It's been a bmw thing since the beginning of time. Convenient in the winter when you want vents to blow cooler air while others blow warm.
    Sounds like a gimmick to me! Which of the vents would be affected by that thumbwheel? Ones on the dash? Both sides? We had that on our 2-3 previous BWWs, and could never feel it made any difference! No biggee.

I wanted to give you a quick thanks. I downloaded the PDF you linked, and it's very different (in details) than others I found, so thanks very much.
    However, so many things still have me confused....we visit the dealer tomorrow and I'll try to get answers to my questions, but I doubt they will want to spend that much time with us! <g> I am thankful that you took the time to do that.
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    This is probably the most user friendly way to code settings yourself at home, Bimmercode: https://www.bimmercode.app/
    If you have an Android phone or iPhone, you get their obd connector and then can change many settings on your own, especially the folding mirrors. That's a very common item for people to code. There are many other things they preselected for coding as well, but the app doesn't have everything, as opposed to the original Windows application that BMW uses, ESYS.

Here is what the DRL should look like, for the halogen headlights and the Xenon/LED headlights.
    Random picture from internet, credit goes to them.

F30_PERSONAL_A.jpg

Temp display is lower center, in this euro car. They all display it there.
    attachment.jpg

Otherwise it seems like you are rushing into trying to figure out everything. Even I was finding out new features after a few months of ownership. Take your time and enjoy a wonderful car.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    This is probably the most user friendly way to code settings yourself at home, Bimmercode: https://www.bimmercode.app/
    If you have an Android phone or iPhone, you get their obd connector and then can change many settings on your own, especially the folding mirrors. That's a very common item for people to code. There are many other things they preselected for coding as well, but the app doesn't have everything, as opposed to the original Windows application that BMW uses, ESYS.

Here is what the DRL should look like, for the halogen headlights and the Xenon/LED headlights.
    Random picture from internet, credit goes to them.

F30_PERSONAL_A.jpg

Temp display is lower center, in this euro car. They all display it there.
    attachment.jpg

Otherwise it seems like you are rushing into trying to figure out everything. Even I was finding out new features after a few months of ownership. Take your time and enjoy a wonderful car.
    I misunderstood you on the temperature display. We do have that as depicted above. But it is overwritten when we use the navigation system's guidance. Seems to me the OAT display would be better placed at the top of the gauges where those two orange lines are shown.

BTW, we do have the "anti-collision" feature, it is the third push-button on the lower left of the dash, by one's left knee.

We do not have those DRLs. So there must be an issue with our car. They are turned on using the iDrive settings.

Yes, we are rushing into learning everything. We are retired, and I have a lot of time to go through the book and research things on line. <g>

I will have to investigate our suggestions on the coding. We have android phones, and I know Android Auto not available, but then I have it on on my GMC truck but rarely use it. But I sure would like to get those folding mirrors sorted out. Thanks for that suggestion.
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    "My wife and I are old farts, in our early 70s. "

At first, I thought you were referring to you and your wife as the "Gran Couple." Cheers!

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Quote Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
    "My wife and I are old farts, in our early 70s. "

At first, I thought you were referring to you and your wife as the "Gran Couple." Cheers!
    Must have been a Freudian slip, eh?
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e