Thread: Few questions on maintaing originality

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90

Few questions on maintaining originality

So I got this 30K mile '85 635csi, and I want to keep it as original as possible. So, I'm interested in how a few of things would be perceived in the enthusiast community/market in terms of good or bad to maintaining originality, even in the context of car shows/concours.

Conforti chip- I would like to get the updated engine mapping from this, and it seems pretty easily reversible.

Clear bra- I'm a big fan of clear bras to protect the noses of my cars (3M, Expel, etc.) Reversible, but is probably a pita, I've never tried to remove clear film.

Wizard cooling radiator- I need a new radiator, and it seems like OE/OEM radiators are hard to come by. I've seen Nissen aftermarket radiators, but not Behr. People seem to rave about the Wizard radiators. Still reversible, but not quite as easy as some changes.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by sienayr; 04-08-2019 at 03:09 PM.

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    In my opinion these are easy swaps that can be reverted if needed, and in the case of the cooler it would improve the functionality. Value-wise I have no idea what it will do but if you can't find an original cooler, buy the best you can afford.
    Undergoing restauration; my 1982 628CSi: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...628CSi-rebuild

My Cars
    740 735 635 535 318is
    The Nissans replacement radiators are very weak. I scrapped a brand new one by gently rubbing the fan clutch past it during installation. I was very gentle and the rub was not even enough to bend any of the fins on the core. Just so much as touching the material in the header tube and it cracked and ruined the whole radiator. I will never go with that brand again.

Pelican parts still sell the Behr rads for the 6er. I've used those on several and never had a prob. They look to me to be as close to OEM as possible, and I will vouch for better toughness.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    If OEM vs. Nissen, etc., I'd go OEM.

I have a Wizard radiator in my car - be advised that they had the mounting tabs in the wrong place at the time (made it wrong twice for me...), but they've gone through at least one E24-crowd Group Buy since then, so hopefully they figured it out. Worth asking to make sure it's the E24 plans or whatever.

Now that it's in, it looks beefy as hell (in a good way) but decidedly not OEM. Given the sphincter-clench I had when the plastic neck gave way on the OEM rad, I appreciate the overbuilt and all-aluminum construction of the Wizard - that thing ain't gonna be the problem.

If you have the funds, it wouldn't be the worst idea to pick up an OEM rad to tuck away and run the Wizard while you're having fun.

My M635 is all kinds of non-OEM, and I do wonder if it will smack the value or not whenever I sell it (no plans unless we come up short for college funds or an emergency). Ultimately it seems like there's less absolute demands for all-original in this community - kinda like 2002's: Originality is appreciated, but not required for good value at sale.

My $0.02.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dschart View Post
    Pelican parts still sell the Behr rads for the 6er. I've used those on several and never had a prob. They look to me to be as close to OEM as possible, and I will vouch for better toughness.
    Pelican is only listing Nissens and BMW OE. I have not seen a Behr for an auto trans at any of the popular parts distributor web sites. eEuroparts.com had OE BMW on clearance for $365 with one left, which beats bmwdirectparts.com at $414 so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I won't be putting a lot of miles on this car so the wizard radiator is probably overkill anyway.

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Clear bra is not reversible. Do not kid yourself. If on for a long time that crap melts into the paint. My DD has it and I have to repaint a rocker panel I scuffed up. When we pulled the clear film off it, you can't believe what the paint was like under it. Yes it had been on for 8 years. Be warned. Also remember the difference between originality and original. Car is only original once. But can be "as original" there is a difference. On a 30K car you can play with it mechanically all day without hurting value as it can be put back to original easily. Leave the cosmetics alone unless it's a minor touch up. You have a lot of value in the originality of that car as with that milage it is special and rare
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    Forced Induction!
    The guys on mye28 have debated the Nissen vs Behr radiator ad neuseum. Apparently the Behr units are made in South Africa and many owners have had issues with these Behrs, many owners have switched to the Nissen with good results. I just installed a brand new Nissen in my '86 CSi.

I compared my 33 year old OEM Behr next to the new Nissen I bought and they look identical other than the way the end tanks are crimped to the core. The fit is perfect as well.

Having said that, as I live in Houston and the summers are brutal, so if it looks like the Nissen is not up to the task, I will definitely look at the Wizard option.
    Last edited by slownrusty; 04-09-2019 at 08:20 AM.

My Cars
    X5M, 635CSI, R69S
    Nissen is an oem supplier, just not to BMW. BMW has had a plant in Rosslyn SA for decades. Behr radiators are OEM to BMW and Mercedes. They were around 275 30 years ago so I would say they have always been around the same price relative to inflation. As mentioned, If you have the resources, just place a Wizard in the car and keep an oem in storage. If you have original or nice paint I'd steer clear of the clear bra. Likewise, when you come up on these cars from the front I think they detract from a really nice paint job and that viewpoint. I had it on a black M5 and hated it. With your mileage I'd pay attention to keeping the car inside when able and in the shade when not. There are many interior parts that are becoming unavailable for these cars. What is available is becoming VERY expensive.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Thanks for the responses. I was leaning against the clear bra for the reasons stated on this particular car, I have heard the horror stories of paint peeling off when removing one. The car will definitely be babied and garaged, I'm one of those people that sees myself as less of an owner and more of a caretaker, and I certainly don't want anything to happen to this beauty on my watch since it has survived so well for so long. My wife was saying how we need to take it to the car wash to get the thin layer of dust off, I'm like no, not this car, only hand washing for this one!

Plan to keep it low mileage, as such I'm just going to install the BMW radiator and be done with it.

I'm slowly waking this beast up, I got the front seat moving front and back on Saturday, last night I was able to get both passenger windows rolling up and down! Two items that I thought were going to be tedious electrical troubleshooting easily solved!

I am really tempted by sharkfest, but it's a ~13 hour/900+ mile drive for me, and pretty short notice, so probably not in the cards. Even though these were built for highway cruising I'm also just not sure I want to put it through that type of journey given the condition.

I'm much closer to '02 fest in Eureka Springs so maybe I can make that happen..

My Cars
    1988 m6
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post

Plan to keep it low mileage, as such I'm just going to install the BMW radiator and be done with it.

A year ago I put in a Behr radiator, I got it from Husker BMW
    The side tanks are now aluminum not plastic.

Best,
    Jay
    '88 M6 Cinnabar Red / Nappa Natur Highline Interior (10-87) Santa Ana, California. USA

My NEW Website, Link : https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

Booster repair
    https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

A/C Wingcell Compressor leak repair

e31 Door Handle Fix,

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Thanks for the responses. I was leaning against the clear bra for the reasons stated on this particular car, I have heard the horror stories of paint peeling off when removing one. The car will definitely be babied and garaged, I'm one of those people that sees myself as less of an owner and more of a caretaker, and I certainly don't want anything to happen to this beauty on my watch since it has survived so well for so long. My wife was saying how we need to take it to the car wash to get the thin layer of dust off, I'm like no, not this car, only hand washing for this one!
    Use a two-bucket wash...

Good to hear.

I'm slowly waking this beast up, I got the front seat moving front and back on Saturday, last night I was able to get both passenger windows rolling up and down! Two items that I thought were going to be tedious electrical troubleshooting easily solved!
    I need to figure out why my passenger window isn't going up/down...

I am really tempted by sharkfest, but it's a ~13 hour/900+ mile drive for me, and pretty short notice, so probably not in the cards. Even though these were built for highway cruising I'm also just not sure I want to put it through that type of journey given the condition
    pfft - it's a perfect first outing! I drove my car home from Colorado to NC, and went to several 9 hour+ SharkFests. I'm sure the 02-fest crowd is nice, but we're your brothers!!

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    I posted this last month.

Just an FYI for you.

User avatar86_6series
    Bigcoupe supporter
    Re: Gimmick? Or worth while...
    Post by 86_6series » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 pm

I've owned my 6 going on 31 years. Full disclose I owned a car wash.
    In all that time and continuing now, I never washed by hand.
    There's no way you can get the volume of water to remove the silt,
    even if you used 4 hoses at once.

Same thing with my DD, 2011 MB always car-washed.

Now you may want to do it for the love, the connection, the bonding.
    I understand that. After the wash I then detail with the wax and polish
    inside-outside, engine compartment etc.

All I'm saying that you do less harm to the finish with a reputable
    establishment than washing by hand. I know that it won't get every nook
    and cranny but overall it's still better.

Can I say my "Experienced" $0.02

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    pfft - it's a perfect first outing! I drove my car home from Colorado to NC, and went to several 9 hour+ SharkFests. I'm sure the 02-fest crowd is nice, but we're your brothers!!
    ha yeah thanks, honestly I don't think any of it is going to happen, pretty busy this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986series6 View Post
    I posted this last month.

Just an FYI for you.

User avatar86_6series
    Bigcoupe supporter
    Re: Gimmick? Or worth while...
    Post by 86_6series » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 pm

I've owned my 6 going on 31 years. Full disclose I owned a car wash.
    In all that time and continuing now, I never washed by hand.
    There's no way you can get the volume of water to remove the silt,
    even if you used 4 hoses at once.

Same thing with my DD, 2011 MB always car-washed.

Now you may want to do it for the love, the connection, the bonding.
    I understand that. After the wash I then detail with the wax and polish
    inside-outside, engine compartment etc.

All I'm saying that you do less harm to the finish with a reputable
    establishment than washing by hand. I know that it won't get every nook
    and cranny but overall it's still better.

Can I say my "Experienced" $0.02
    Yeah I can see where that's relevant for a daily drive that sees rain, snow, and everything else that comes with a dd, but for a car like this that is starting basically clean but for a thin layer of dust, and will essentially be clean all the time I would rather not force water into all of the nooks and crannies with a high pressure wash.