Thread: Drivetrain Malfunction/ Significant Loss in Power

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528i

Lightbulb Drivetrain Malfunction/ Significant Loss in Power

Hi everyone, I have a 2012 BMW 528i and it's been dependable for me for the most part; However, recently I received the infamous "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately" message. The car now has a slight shake when idling and their has been a significant loss in power. Also there is a slight delay when cranking. I had the spark plugs, fuel injectors, fuel rail and coils replaced but this did not solve the problem. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? I just want to get answers before taking it to the local bmw dealer and spending $150+ just for a diagnosis. Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by kclark55 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a 2012 BMW 528i and it's been dependable for me for the most part; However, recently I received the infamous "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately" message. The car now has a slight shake when idling and their has been a significant loss in power. Also there is a slight delay when cranking. I had the spark plugs, fuel injectors, fuel rail and coils replaced but this did not solve the problem. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? I just want to get answers before taking it to the local bmw dealer and spending $150+ just for a diagnosis. Thanks in advance!
    well..if you have an OBDII code reader that works on BMW's that would most likely tell you what's wrong...without that, it's difficult to guess. I would have said fuel injectors, but you said those are already replaced so..

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by yodamel View Post
    well..if you have an OBDII code reader that works on BMW's that would most likely tell you what's wrong...without that, it's difficult to guess. I would have said fuel injectors, but you said those are already replaced so..
    +1...I’m no mechanic but before I spent money on any of that, I would’ve diagnosed it first. For all you know, all of those things might not needed to be replaced. The BimmerLink app in conjunction with any compatible Bluetooth OBDII scanner would be your friend in this instance. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    535i
    i would highly recommend get a ENET cable and ISTA+ and read the error codes. hopefully you know the approx mileage on the car when the error came in. when you read the codes you will be able to see at what mileage the error came in. this will give you an indication on what is wrong.
    also check your coolant tank reservoir...believe it or not but if its low it can cause errors so make sure you top it off.

My Cars
    535i
    One more important thing I forgot to mention is check your battery voltage. These cars have lots of modules which depends on good battery voltage and are very sensitive for voltage drop so a low battery will trigger issues and take your car in limp mode.
    If you battery voltage is low then most likely that’s the issue but by just swapping the battery won’t fix it.
    You will have to program the battery (very easy if you have the cable and software) and also clear any codes generated.

My Cars
    535i
    Quote Originally Posted by kclark55 View Post
    Did you ever find a fix for it...I’m curious if it’s your VANOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535i xDrive
    I had the same issue, had multiple parts replaced:

intake manifold gaskets, fuel sensors, MAF, spark plugs, coils, etc. Problem still persisted, did a smoke test and found a TINY leak on the valve cover. Mechanic didnt think that would be the problem, but we replaced the cover & gasket and its been running smooth ever since. no codes.