Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Wheel/Tire Combination ?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI Coupe

Wheel/Tire Combination ?

BMW 325ci 2004: has lowered H&R springs front and back. DAILY DRIVEN, no track whatsoever. Tires tend to go flat on me with resembling tears of around the inner wall, basically circling the rim when it does flat.

I want to get a new setup, while getting opinions on the current setup.

I have STYLE 162 rims, with spacers on all 4, Front: 215/40/18 and Rear: 225/40/18. I bought the vehicle this way and may have realized these sizes aren’t the right ones for the vehicle staggered setup?

If not, please advise a good setup, TIRE/WHEEL if possible. Thanks in advance !

Please help, thank you!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I think the correct 18" sizing was 225/40 front, 255/35 rear.

Not sure what you're asking with, "Tires tend to go flat on me with resembling tears of around the inner wall, basically circling the rim when it does flat."
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI Coupe
    Hey thanks for your response! I actually went out my way to put those sizes on my card before your post and I’m hearing some tire rubbing on all ends, maybe more the front. Do you believe it’s the spacers? Please help as I’m trying to get it corrected ASAP
    Last edited by marvin4495; 04-17-2019 at 09:00 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    What width are the front rims? The rear rims?

What's the thickness of the spacers you're using?
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI Coupe
    The width of the rims are 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear. Well I think that’s what you mean by width? They’re style 162 same specs staggered

I just saw that the spacers are 15mm all round, those are definitely too wide I decided to take them off and the rubbing lessened a lot but I’m trying to think maybe struts are old?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI Coupe
    Update: removed front 15mm spacers and now rear is scraping with 15mm spacers still on.

No scraping or absolutely minimal in the front.

I believe it’s the spacers and will be removing the rear ones soon as well.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Now that you've removed the front spacers, check the distance between the inside sidewall of the tire and the strut housing. If your pinky doesn't fit, you must acquit ... wait, no ... you should install some 10mm spacers.

That E90 Style 162, 8x18-inch rim has a 36mm offset, and the standard E46 8x18-inch rim has a 47mm offset, which has the effect of drawing the tire further inboard. There should be at least 1/2" of clearance between the tire and strut to allow for flex. The 15mm spacers pushed it out too far, but no spacers at all might put the tire too close to the strut.

Check the offset number on the 8.5" rear wheels (it's the "ETxx" number stamped or molded somewhere on the rim). I'm guessing it'll be around ET30.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI Coupe
    I believe ET 37 the rear, I took off the spacers in the rear and no more rubbing ! The set up had a 15mm front spacers and 20mm rear setup ! I was surprised as I never really noticed it when I purchased the car !

Update again: NEED HELP WITH THE REAR 18x8.5 rim.... my NEW tire exploded again from the inside of the tire. That rim keeps getting flats,

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    When you replace that tire, put it on the other side.

- - - Updated - - -

And post pics

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI Coupe
    This has happened to about 2-3 tires now in the past year. The same way and everything. Not sure if this was a rim I had repaired before for a bent and maybe it's flawed and tearing through tires? The tire i put on was also used, 255/35/18 yokohama advan A/S with about 9/10.5 thread.

- - - Updated - - -

This has happened to about 2-3 tires now in the past year. The same way and everything. Not sure if this was a rim I had repaired before for a bent and maybe it's flawed and tearing through tires? The tire i put on was also used, 255/35/18 yokohama advan A/S with about 9/10.5 thread.

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    My guess is that rim loses air that you don't notice it due to the camber of the rear wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, check the DOT# on the tire to see how old it is. The last 4 numbers are the production week and year.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI Coupe
    I think your guess about losing air might be right and makes sense thank you. Should I see someone for this?

And the DOT is 2617 for the tire.

Thanks so much for your input so far in everything it’s been helping me out a great deal. I want to sell the car so I can purchase a ZHP after but I don’t want someone dealing with these problems after me

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If multiple tires have been losing air on that rim, then either it's cracked or the valve stem leaks. When the new tire gets installed, submerge it in water, or spray it with soapy water to find the leak.