Thread: Coolant leak from driver side radiator housing causing coolant pool under headlight

My Cars
    2000 740I sport

Coolant leak from driver side radiator housing causing coolant pool under headlight

I've had this coolant leak for several months now. The coolant has been pooling under the driver side headlight. I tried using the UV dye but only was able to isolate the general area of the leak. It appears to be coming from one of those oil lines exiting the radiator housing. Should I just replace the whole radiator? It was replaced in 2011. Not sure what else to replace. Just did the water pump, thermostat, valley pan, and intake manifold gaskets.

Here's a link to more pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o97dlxrpw...P3YiUexAa?dl=0
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If it's leaking from the radiator you shoul be able to remove fan shroud and maybe some other parts to get a better look at it, ifs leaking replace it

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    From picture #3, it looks like coolant is leaking from way up high on the radiator. I see coolant splashes on the a/c condenser lines and also on the headlight wiring. I'd say your radiator is cracked underneath the upper radiator hose or that upper hose is leaking.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2000 740I sport
    Thanks for the reply. I checked the radiator hoses thoroughly and they seem to be dry. It looks like it's coming from the area where those two lines come out (one line goes to the oil filter). Not sure if that can be replaced individually or requires the whole radiator to be replaced.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Those "oil lines" going into your radiator are power steering lines. They do not carry coolant. They also are too low to cause the splashing and puddling that you have in the picture. I agree with Frankie...it's got to be coming from up higher. Quite often the upper hose can leak under pressure but show no signs normally. There is also a 90* elbow fitting above the upper radiator hose. That can leak sometimes.

Looking at your pictures a second time, it kinda looks like there could be a leak between the plastic side tank and the radiator core. If it is a pin hole leak, I guess it could be spraying out under pressure. If you get the car fully hot and up to pressure, can you see coolant around?
    Last edited by racer2086; 04-08-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 740I sport
    Thanks, I'll take a look there. Unfortunately I will be away for a few days, but I'll look once I get back. I'll keep this post updated.
    Is the plastic side tank a separate part when you buy the radiator? I'm having a hard time finding it on realoem

- - - Updated - - -

I also didn't notice any coolant on the insulation under the hood, which is why I think it could be coming out from where those power steering fluid lines insert. Look at the 6th picture from the Dropbox link I posted originally.

My Cars
    2000 740I sport
    20190414_173153.jpg

After cleaning up the coolant mess and trying again, I discovered a very small crack right along the expansion housing right next to where "BEHR" is stamped. Coolant was spurting out from there, which would explain how coolant ended up pooling underneath the headlight.

My Cars
    2000 740I sport
    Just put in a new radiator and no more coolant pooling under the light or leaking anywhere.