BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: 2001 740i Sport - Excellent Mechanical Condition

My Cars
    e36

2001 740i Sport - Excellent Mechanical Condition

Just posted my 01 shorty sporty on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/163639235225 This is a no reserve auction and it will go quick. PM me if any questions or if you'd like to deal outside of eBay. I bought this car a couple months ago from a fellow enthusiast on this forum and have since repaired/replaced many more items. Since then an e39 540i sport caught my eye and I've decided to let the e38 go as the wagon is kind of a necessity for my softball dad lifestyle. Here are the details from the listing and a link to the online photo album:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNr_H5CVPkaMk95UQfZCqU1M7NAQ_tGJ4qLSO8uL49rRu qVOPjYfRAuRFg6J6qL4g?key=TzNXNmNXZzFxamJfU1NGOWJmd 3JLUUZUQmFDMzJB

DSC00157.jpg

Vehicle History: According to the previous owner (owner #4 on the car fax), this car was acquired by an elderly gentleman in 2008 @ 137K miles (owner #3) who didn't drive the car much and ended up suffering failed timing chain guides after which the car sat garaged in New Jersey for a number of years. Some time around the 2016 time frame the gentleman evidently gave the car to his grandson who performed the repairs below during his brief period of ownership:

New timing chains and guides, lower timing cover gasket and associated gaskets and seals (you can see in the photo with the valve cover removed how much newer the timing chain is versus the cam chain)
    New ABS Module
    New Stereo Amplifier
    Repaired instrument cluster LCD panel (dead pixels)
    New Navigation DVD Player
    Replaced 3 Window Regulators
    New Rear Shocks (replaced with OEM Sachs)

The car was then sold to the previous owner in 2017, a BMW enthusiast down in Florida who performed the following repairs (all within the last 2 years/5000 miles):

New Front Struts (replaced with Bilstein B4's - the closest analogue to the original e38 M-sport struts which are evidently no longer available). Also replaced all strut mounting hardware (new top hats, bearings and mounts)
    New Thrust Arms
    Brand new brakes front and rear with ECS cross-drilled/slotted rotors with Akebono Euro pads (no brake dust)
    New brake lines, pad sensors and wheel speed sensors
    New Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires
    New cooling system (all Behr parts): Radiator, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, fan clutch, upper/lower hoses and coolant sensor
    New upper timing cover and valve cover gaskets
    Spark plugs
    Oil pan gasket
    Motor mounts
    Evap charcoal canister

I then purchased this car in February and brought it out to Tucson, AZ with the intention of it being my new daily driver (I had always wanted one). After driving the car for a couple months and making a bunch of my own repairs listed below, I subsequently found an e39 540i sport wagon that suits my needs much better as I am frequently hauling around softball gear for my daughters' practices and games and although the e38 trunk is huge, I now realize having a hatch back with folding rear seats is kind of a must for me!

New rear main seal (to address oil drip - now leaks no oil!)
    New crankshaft seal kit (preventative - since the transmission was out)
    Re-sealed transmission torque converter (preventative - since the transmission was out)
    Replaced transmission coolant line o-rings and gaskets and oil cooler thermostat (preventative - since the transmission was out)
    New Front Control Arms
    Changed transmission fluid & filter (synthetic ATF)
    New transmission mounts (old ones were shot)
    Bled brakes with Bosch DOT 5.1 fluid New evap/purge valve
    New gas cap
    New DMTL pump and filter (evap tank leak detection pump - was getting check engine light from evap leak)
    Repaired cracked evap vapor line (was the actual root cause of evap CEL)
    New hood stop buffers
    New rear ball joint (driver rear was cracked/worn, passenger rear is fine)
    New power steering pump (old one was noisy)
    New power steering lines and reservoir (old ones were leaking)
    New heater core solenoid valve and aux. water pump (old one was buzzing and was not getting warm air through the dashboard vents with the heater on)
    New BavSound rear sub-woofers (old ones were blown)
    Euro Center Armrest (so much more comfortable without the cell phone divot!)
    New rear cupholder

Cosmetic Condition:
    Interior is in good condition.
    Car has never been smoked in.
    Leather is worn on driver seat but is still soft and pliable.
    Passenger seat and back seat are in excellent condition.

Although it does present very nicely, the car does have some blemishes:
    Paint pitting and stone chips on the hood and front bumper
    Small crack in the lower front bumper cover
    Scuff on passenger rear bumper corner
    Paint chips on lower rear bumper
    Sagging rear headliner (does not obstruct rear window)
    Various door dings and scratches

Known Issues:
    Driver seat memory function is not working (not sure the root cause but the button in the driver door is not illuminating and pressing the buttons has no affect)
    Rear driver door exterior shadow line trim piece is loose
    Stereo makes very slight buzzing noise before the ignition is turned on (once you start the engine the sound is gone)
    (Not really an issue) The temp gauge in the cluster reports slightly to the right of the center indicator at operating temp (checking the temp through OBD reveals it is running right around where it should ~218F)
    Driver side mirror articulating joint is slightly loose and causes the mirror to vibrate slightly while driving

I also have an online photo album with many more pictures here:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNr_H5CVPkaMk95UQfZCqU1M7NAQ_tGJ4qLSO8uL49rRu qVOPjYfRAuRFg6J6qL4g?key=TzNXNmNXZzFxamJfU1NGOWJmd 3JLUUZUQmFDMzJB

Please let me know if any questions. I have a clear title in hand, ready for immediate sale.
    Last edited by djonsson; 04-10-2019 at 02:02 AM.

My Cars
    2011 X3 / 2011 328i
    I'm going to assume this sold?

My Cars
    99 Dakar M3
    If you click the EBay link you can see it was sold for $5.1k