Thread: wiper knocking

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2013 550i

wiper knocking

I have a 2013 550i for a couple of months now. The drivers side windshield wiper hits at the top of the A pillar nearly every still time. It happens on any setting. Any advice how to fix this myself or do I need to take it to my mechanic? Thankfully it has not been raining very much, but it is very annoying to listen to when driving. Thanks

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Two things that might help:
    1) Double check to make sure the wipers are the right size, especially on the side that knocks.
    2) If it's hitting at the top of the wiper, an easy hack might be to use a slightly shorter wiper. (I've done that. Worked great.)

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by tmod View Post
    I have a 2013 550i for a couple of months now. The drivers side windshield wiper hits at the top of the A pillar nearly every still time. It happens on any setting. Any advice how to fix this myself or do I need to take it to my mechanic? Thankfully it has not been raining very much, but it is very annoying to listen to when driving. Thanks
    The wiper motor assembly is not adjustable so I doubt that is the problem. Good chance the wrong size wiper blade was put on the car, or it's out too far.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...search?q=wiper

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2013 550i
    Thank you guys for the advice. I will check on the size and hopefully that will be the answer and easy fix.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by yodamel View Post
    The wiper motor assembly is not adjustable so I doubt that is the problem. Good chance the wrong size wiper blade was put on the car, or it's out too far.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...search?q=wiper
    You guys are reading into this way too much.

More than likely the windshield has been replaced, and the wiper was not put back into the proper position when the arm was reinstalled. I've seen it a million times.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    You guys are reading into this way too much.

More than likely the windshield has been replaced, and the wiper was not put back into the proper position when the arm was reinstalled. I've seen it a million times.
    +1

Does the wiper blade rest parallel to the lower edge of he windshield? If not, loosen the retaining nut on the arm and pivot it down. Tighten the nut back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2013 550i
    Thanks for the suggestions. The current driver's side blade is 26in. Is that the standard size for f10 typically? If not, then any suggestions on best place to buy replacements? Looking at how it is attached, it seems like I can't just run to the local auto parts to get it and needs to be BMW brand? In response to Critter7r, the blade does rest parallel to the lower edge. I did remove the nut to try to reposition the arm, but it would not move or come off the post, the arm stays at the same level, so I just put the nut back on. It is quite annoying with it hitting constantly and have notice that the paint is chipped off on the pillar/roof rail trim piece where it hits. Thanks guys for your suggestions!

My Cars
    It's basically a friction fit. There is a wiper arm puller that can be used. In a pinch, you can loosen the nut (but leave it on to protect the post) and smack it with a hammer and get the wiper arm to pop loose.

To clarify, the wiper arm is hitting the A-pillar? Or the roof? If it's hitting the A-pillar, how would changing the length of the arm fix anything? Here's a pic of a wiper arm on an F10 at rest position.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    All these suggestions are good. The wipers might be hitting because they're the wrong size or because the arm isn't installed at the proper position on the shaft, or both.

You can get wipers from Amazon or lots of other places online, by specifying your car. If you can get to a major auto parts store easily (AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc.) I recommend that. They can look up the wipers for that car and compare them to those on the car now. If you need/want new ones they will usually install them for free.

If they tell you the sizes are right, then the wipers are probably not positioned on the post properly. They might be able to fix it too. If they won't and you don't think you can, a shop should be able to do it in a few minutes for a minimal charge.

Also, I think the driver's and passenger's wipers are different lengths on that car (as on mine and many others). Make sure that's not the problem now, and that any new wipers are installed on the correct sides.
    Last edited by R Shaffner; 04-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If you wiggle the driver's arm up and down a little (like an inch or less), does the passenger arm move also?

That pic makes it look like everything is fine, alignment-wise.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2013 550i
    That pic is not of my car, but one from White94RX. But mine does look like that one. If I wiggle the driver's arm the passenger one will also move. If I am able to get the arm to come off, what do I do with it to remedy the problem? The last time I tried to get the arm to come off, it wouldn't and I didn't want to force it too much. I'm afraid that I will break something and now the annoying knocking becomes an expensive fix. I want to try a shorter wiper, but haven't gotten to the parts store yet.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The 26" is the correct size. The 2 F10s I looked at in the shop had the driver wiper sitting level to the ground and straight across the windshield. To get the wiper arm off, you take off the nut and press down on the hinge of the arm, while pulling up on the arm at the post. Essentially, you're rocking the arm back and forth to loosen it off of the post.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, post a pic of yours.