Thread: Suspension Options

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i

Suspension Options

Hello all. Been a few years since I've posted but the needs to address in my car don't take time off so I'm getting ready to tackle one glaring issue very soon: suspension.

Currently, the dampers and struts on the car are shot and in need of replacement. The plan is to swap those out as well as the original springs and install new rubber bushings all around. A couple of years ago I also picked up a set of 15x7 Mims basketweaves from another user on this forum (that have seemingly been passed from Bay Area e21 owner to owner for quite some time now) that I'd like to use in place of the original turbines.

I've done a bit of searching around this forum and other corners of the net for options and rather than the lack of information on options, there seems to be quite a lot which makes it confusing for what to go with.

Ultimately, I don't have any plans to take the car to the track, just enjoy it for the occasional commute and twisty roads. It's not technically a DD but I do use it more than a strictly leisure vehicle. I'm also a mechanical novice but should have the ability and tools to handle this job on my own (I think!).

With that said, I've considered two potential routes to go: H&R springs with Bilstein B8's or keeping the suspension stock but with new parts.

If I go with the lowering springs and sport shocks, will that be too rough of a ride for semi regular use? Will I get excessive negative camber in the rear and/or need a fender roller with the larger wheel/tire setup?

If I go stock with the new, larger wheels, will the car sit higher and leave a significant fender gap? Are the replacement options (Bilstein, Sachs, BMW) worthy with aftermarket wheels?

Are there other options I haven't considered? I'd like to avoid the coilover setup at this point because I think it would be a little more involved and costly than the other options I'm looking at right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320is

Suspension Options

I ran Bilstein sports and H&Rs for about a year and a half and it was driven daily. The ride height was okay but it didn’t fill the fenders with stock 13s. If you go to 15s you’ll most likely have huge fender gap. The ride wasn’t all that great. It was comfy but it wasn’t soft enough for cruising or hard enough for taking corners hard.

I then switched over to CaTuned coil overs and have no regrets. The 30 way adjustability for dampening is amazing and corners miles better than the h&rs ever did. And the ride is thousands of times better and I daily this car everyday for work and classes.
    I put 15s on it with coil overs so I don’t know how the gap would be with just h&rs.
    Here’s pictures. Hopefully that helps

IMG_1245.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I currently have bilstein b8 and h&r lowering springs.

Honestly the drop is way more than I thought it would be. The front still has a small gap but the rear is completely covered. I have to keep wood under my 13s to allow a jack underneath it is so low.

Unfortunately I just finished this job and have zero driving impressions.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1983 e21, 2018 440i

Suspension Options

Here is my car on bilstein hd’s and bav auto springs.
    Ride was fairly plush and comfy but a bit too much body roll. Handling sucked but i guess mostly because of all season tires.

Same suspension with 15x8 up front and 15x9 in the back (205/50and 225/45 tires)
    It was way to high up front

I made custom coilovers using koni race shocks and 350f/400r springs. Ride is firm and rather uncomfortable. Handling is outstanding. Car feels very neutral in the corners. I would not do it if it was my daily tho.

I would recommend either some coilovers with softer springs and sway bars to control the roll or billy sports and h&r springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Retoropak; 04-05-2019 at 03:54 PM.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    I have BC with swift springs and the car is well balanced with them in a corner.

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    For shocks to use with lower springs, are there any options to Bilsteins? Some older threads debate Koni vs Bilstein, but it seems like the Konis are no longer available.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Bilstein HD's are grate had them on my last car with H&R springs

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by dreiermann View Post
    For shocks to use with lower springs, are there any options to Bilsteins? Some older threads debate Koni vs Bilstein, but it seems like the Konis are no longer available.
    To piggyback on this, are there any other spring options besides H&R's? I'm leaning towards H&R's and Bilsteins because that is a tried and tested combination.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Baby auto used to be an option. I have good condition sports with bav springs for the rear but gave it ip when I couldn't find bav springs for the front

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk