Thread: Tom's 2000 750iL Project

My Cars
    2000 750iL

Tom's 2000 750iL Project

After much driving around and looking/debating e38 7-series cars over the last year or more, I bit the bullet and emptied toys fund wallet for one this week. E38 has been on my bucket list to own and I'm not getting any younger. Most of the cars I had looked at were 740's and many were just trashed. The only decent one I found was a '95 but the interior of lite grey just wasn't for me. And I hadn't seen any 750's until this one popped up this week. So I had to go check it out. Pictures looked decent and they just do not pop up very often.

So I took off with my mechanic in tow (still owe him lunch) and we checked out this 2000 750iL. My Mech has been working on these for many years and is very familiar with e38's. Car is far from perfect, but mechanically, body wise and interior seem all to be in good shape. So I finished the deal that day and now it sits in my driveway awaiting closer inspection and some attention.

As of right now the list of issues needing attention:

• Steering rack is leaking from somewhere.
    • Central locking not working
    • Glove box drawer hinge points under the dash are broken and one of the struts needs to be replaced.
    • The center console/arm rest has a number of plastic attachment/mounting points that have been compromised and I want to rebuild them. Looks as if someone has been in there and they were broken off for whatever reason. Plastics seem to be very brittle and caution is required with this old girl.
    • Tint needs to be stripped off the windows.
    • The engine hood release is compromised. I think it's the cable but we will see. My mechanic got it open during inspection but I haven't been able to. BTW, the engine bay was spotless. And not armourall spotless, just clean clean and the motor was dry (no leaks).
    • Little bit of rust under the front doors that I want to address right away. Otherwise there is no rust anywhere. When we had it on the hoist, the underside was spotless. This car apparently never saw a winter.
    • Check engine light which I believe my mechanic said is an o2 sensor. Anyways, he wasn't worried about it.
    • Valve for the rear air ride needs to be addressed as I believe he said the arm is broken(?). So the back end of the car is sitting high.
    • Tires as the ones on the car pass safety but are garbage.
    • Driver and passenger front outer lower plastic seat trim need to be addressed as both are loose. It's a common issue for the attachment screws to have pulled through the plastic. Anyways, e38.org (my new favourite friend) shows a fix for this.
    • Headliner in the rear is starting to fall a bit. About the size of a venti starbucks cup is falling at the back.
    • Gasket on the top of the front windshield (exterior) is rotten and needs replacement.

Car also needs a thorough cleaning and the paint needs to be cleaned and polished.
    Full size M-parallel spare in the trunk is brand new and never been used.
    169k km.
    No recorded accidents nor could we find any evidence of accidents anywhere.

Anyways, that's it for now. Still having a thorough go through the car. Right now I'm pulling a lot of the interior out to fix some of the issues and also make sure everything inside is secured and tight. Going to also do some preventative maintenance (mainly fluids) as she has no service records that came with the sale. And once she's back up to snuff, then we'll see where we go.

Exterior : COSMOSSCHWARZ METALLIC (303)
    Interior : STANDARDLEDERTOBACCOBRAUN (N8WY)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom
    Garage - 2000 750iL -- 2007 Z4M -- 2012 35d X5 mod'ed -- E30 M3 red valve cover -- tools -- misc BMW junk

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Let’s see pix of that interior! Nice! Congrats and welcome!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    I read your color combo and had to read your location lol.. so jealous of certain interiors we didn't get in the US!
    E70 LCI 35d
    E90 LCI 328i xDrive

E39 528i Sport/5
    E28 535is
    E84 X1 35i M Sport package
    E38 740i Sport
    E39 M5 LMB/Blk

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    @CLARKITECT - I will try and get some interior pictures shortly.

@NYC DITO - Really, I didn't know that this interior wasn't available North America wide. One thing that caught my attention is that the wood trim in this car has an inlay in the top half that's kind of cool. First time I've seen such in person.
    Tom
    Garage - 2000 750iL -- 2007 Z4M -- 2012 35d X5 mod'ed -- E30 M3 red valve cover -- tools -- misc BMW junk

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    Some further reading over the weekend and it looks like this color combo is as rare as it gets without getting into an "Individual" spec-ed car. I think someone posted online that it's 1 of 24 built. Interesting.
    Tom

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    Engine hood now had been fixed. It was just the rubber adjusters (for height) on the left and right sides at the front that were set too low that was not allowing the hood to "pop" up. A good friend of mine pointed this out. In no way can I take credit for this magnificent piece of knowledge. Live and learn..... even at my age.

Cost to fix - free !!
    Tom

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    ****Sept 20, 2019 Update ****

• Windshield gasket replaced
    • Glove box attachment points repaired but still need to address the plastic shocks
    • Center console/armrest has been restored. All the hinged flaps and moving bits working again as they should. I built new tabs for a lot of the broken plastic tabs. After fitment into the car, need to adjust a few of them around where the radio is. Still a work in progress. Phone was removed and I found a tray out of an E39 530i sport that snaps into that location with almost a perfect fit.
    • Tint has been removed. Found that the drivers side rear door small triangle window has a white fog between the glass so I found a replacement and just need to install it.
    • Door rust - front doors have been ghetto cleaned up, primed and painted in a DIY fashion and look meeeeeh. But that's fine as I have replacement doors now in hand that are rust free. That will be a big job but I need to do it. Rear doors have a slight bit of rust on the underside in the inside fold. Unfortunate and it will need to be addressed at some point in the near future.
    • Check engine light - digging through that one and found it to be a crank sensor. So ordering a new one shortly.
    • Driver and passenger front seats restored. I pulled off the original tobacco brown and replaced the lower plastic with black. Also the entire carpet in the car was replaced with black as was the headliner. For my tastes, it's substantial nicer. All original bits where kept.
    • Rear deck and power shade all pulled apart and restored. Deck was re-dyed black and is as it should be color wise again.

So that's where things are now. I have to do some adjustments and touch up with the headliner still. Black oh-shyt-handles still need to be installed. And for some reason the entire sun roof pull shade material fell. Shitty as that's a little bit of work to pull all back apart again. Also, the trunk is gutted for a major audio overhaul. With that, the factory head unit is being swapped to a shallow Kenwood double DIN piece and there are 3-ways going into custom door panels up front. Having great audio in this car is critical for me.

Also want to tackle a complete retrofit of all the vacuum lines under the hood and clean up all the clamps. The previous owner looks to have done some repairs here and used non-BMW fasteners and some crappy hoses. My last trip to the wreckers found me with a bag of OEM BMW clamps, screws, etc for this little job.
    Last edited by tominizer; 09-20-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Tom