Thread: P0101 before start up... air pump?

My Cars
    E36 M3

P0101 before start up... air pump?

So i have had a series of codes for o2 sensors etc and now that ive fixed those. I have a new code. P0101.. MAF sensor circuit performance/out of range. God damn i swear i have done it all. Cleaned ICV and its working fine. New MAF even though i still got normal readings from the old one. Had a mechanic i have trusted in the past take a look at the wiring for me. Said its the secondary air pump. Now here's what im experiencing. The car idles rough sometimes and even stalls at idle on occassion. I cleared the code after replacing the maf and the code comes up pending before i even start the car. Must be something just not working at all right? Is my mechanic's advice right? I dont want to drop a ton on a pump if its something else.
    Last edited by Jasonmbarry; 04-04-2019 at 07:58 AM.

My Cars
    First piece of advise: Get yourself a real scanner. Generic P-codes are pretty much worthless. Anyone that knows anything on this forum will tell you the same thing. Get a scanner that reads and displays BMW specific codes if you plan on diagnosing your own vehicle. Second, read the codes with the capable scanner. Post the code number with the fault code description. There's a thousand code numbers, and a number by itself doesn't mean anything. Anyone willing to help will probably just skip your thread because they're not going to waste their time trying to look up your code number.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Okay well guess i should've specified sorry bout that. Editted the post to include code description.

My Cars
    Well that is still a generic P code and doesn't tell me much. If the MAF is reading out of range, and you've tried a new one, then there may be another issue that's causing it to read out of the normal range. Vacuum leak, causing it to run lean, running rich for some reason, etc. This is a case where a BMW specific code would help a little more.

You mentioned you previously had o2 sensor codes. This still may be related to whatever caused those codes. What were they, and what did you do to repair them?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician