Thread: Question on removing Bimmerworld RTAB balljoints

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6

Question on removing Bimmerworld RTAB balljoints

I just installed these and pressed the aluminum into the trailing arms using a C clamp while the arm is still installed on the car. It occured to me that it would be very difficult to remove them. How would you go about it? The aluminum housing has a lip on one side that covers the trailing arms bushing hole. The stock bushing has 2 open spaces for the special removal tool but the BW one doesnt. There isnt any space for a receiving sleeve to press the aluminum out. Only solution i can think of is grind out two spots on the outer lip to use the special bushing removal tool.

Thanks,

My Cars
    are slow.
    Do you plan on using these in the future or selling them?

I would use a Dremel or a grinder and cut 2 tiny slits to get the tool in there. Maybe reach out to Bimmerworld first though, see what they recommend.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Do you plan on using these in the future or selling them?

I would use a Dremel or a grinder and cut 2 tiny slits to get the tool in there. Maybe reach out to Bimmerworld first though, see what they recommend.
    I just installed them and was wondering how i would remove them if the balljoints need replacing or if i wanted to go back to poly or stock.

Yea, ill send an email to them about this but was wondering if anyone had tried removing them.

Thanks,

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    I installed mine a while ago, and haven't tried to remove them. But off the top of my head, I'd say to remove the 3 bolts on that one half (pictured), remove that, and then hammer out the other half whether it would be hitting the bushing directly or by placing something over to of the inner rim and hitting that instead (a square wooden block I would think). I think I do remember having to use a C clamp to install, but I also feel like it didn't require a lot of force to get in there. I doubt its the equivalent of it being "pressed" in there, so it shouldn't be thatttt bad to remove.

I could also be wrong, its been a while.
    Last edited by bimma360; 04-05-2019 at 09:29 AM.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    I installed mine a while ago, and haven't tried to remove them. But off the top of my head, I'd say to remove the 3 bolts on that one half (pictured), remove that, and then hammer out the other half whether it would be hitting the bushing directly or by placing something over to of the inner rim and hitting that instead (a square wooden block I would think). I think I do remember having to use a C clamp to install, but I also feel like it didn't require a lot of force to get in there. I doubt its the equivalent of it being "pressed" in there, so it shouldn't be thatttt bad to remove.

I could also be wrong, its been a while.
    SMH.. Didn't even consider that they come apart lol. Most likely this /\. Take them apart, and slide hammer them out is what seems like the best way to take them out.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    I think I do remember having to use a C clamp to install, but I also feel like it didn't require a lot of force to get in there.
    I remember when installing mine that it took a lot of force to install them, and that was with a hardened steel 12x1.5 mm threaded rod as the force screw. Counting on never having to pull them out...

Neil