View Poll Results: Would this be an interesting idea to buy?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (for sure)

0 0%
  • No

3 100.00%
  • Maybe

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Student trying to sell idea/product to auto companies

My Cars
    2012 BMW 3 Series 328i

Student trying to sell idea/product to auto companies

Hello,

I'm about to get my Bachelors in Computer Engineering at Purdue pretty soon.

I've been working on a new design for a new hybrid electric vehicle platform. This platform includes everything that makes the car move. (Motors, Engine, powertrain, chassis, batteries, suspension, steering system, etc.)

My idea is to become a special OEM and sell this customizable platform to the automotive giants. It can fit in as a 'drop-in-replace
    ment' for their current models. This way, they won't need to make massive changes to their manufacturing line.

These are some of its key features:
    1) All wheel Drive + All Wheel steering
    2) Steer-by-wire
    3) Wheel camber and right height can be dynamically adjusted.
    4) A.I and self driving capable
    5) Large electric traction motor(s) + small engine = Long range when you need it + High Performance when you need it.

These are the results of the above features:
    1)
    Overall control of the car is much superior.
    With the rear wheel have a large degree of motion, the car can make sharper turns even if it has a longer wheel base.
    The car can even pirouette! (spin around 180 or even 360 degrees)

2)
    The suspension technology applied for my design (which I haven't disclosed) makes it behave the way similar to the 7 series which used Bose's Ferro Fluid suspension technology. (But the tech we're using is different.)

3) Steer-by wire doesn't let the driver feel any vibrations through the wheel.

4)
    Long range, High speed machine. The small internal combustion engine can be used to generate electricity while the car is driving to boost range. Fear of not having enough charging stations close by is temporarily gone.

I've been working with some engineers in Purdue and a lawyer to get this patented.
    I haven't fully furnishing a 3D model and ran simulations yet. (I'd say I'm 80% done)

I've built a liquid cooled 3D printer and a 6-axis robot in the past from scratch. I guess that helped me design most of this.

I understand most of these features are 'superfluous' and 'fancy' maybe, but this is where the automotive industry is trending towards.

I'd appreciate any sort of feedback or even a negative critique about my idea. How do I sell this and to whom? What would be the right position for me in the niche market?

Thank you for reading.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Have you researched the giants to see if they aren't already doing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 3 Series 328i
    I have researched it. They're achieving almost similar results, but they're using different (inefficient) technology. This is because small changes in their manufacturing line are very expensive in the long run.

Also, they're planning to release most of this technology only after 2022. I'm getting all of this information from paid marketing research experts from Frost and Sullivan.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 3 Series 328i
    I'm also having a really hard time trying to find the right people to interview. My professors from university think it will work. My friends like the idea too. Some entrepreneurs I spoke to think it's a great product but won't sell. I'm trying to find out how/why I am on the wrong track.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Ah, the enthusiasm and naivete of youth. I doubt any of the auto giants are looking to outsource their drivelines.
    Rather than try to re-invent auto manufacturing which you stand zero chance of funding and less of selling you may be better served distilling your ideas down to a single, proprietary one(you've alluded to several) that would be desirable.
    I've met a few people that have become quite wealthy from a single seemingly small idea or product.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    ^^ This guy gets it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    I think Ross1 is on the right track - start with some small, easy to adapt part of your idea. This would let you get money coming in with less investment; you can then use this to bring production of more of your parts online. Preferably one where you don't need a battalion of engineers and lawyers to handle the safety validation process. I'm not sure steer-by-wire is even allowed under motor vehicle safety regulations now, for example.

My recommendation? Start with the suspension. OEMs usually prefer to keep their engine design in-house, but many suspension parts get handed off to outside suppliers. If the suspension can be marketed without the rest of the system, it's a natural for a starting point.

Alternatively, aim this at a niche industry to get started. Something where outsourced powertrains are the norm rather than the exception. This also has the advantage that you won't need nearly as large a production line to get started.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"