Thread: 2010 E82 128i sulev advice?

My Cars
    2010 bmw 128i

2010 E82 128i sulev advice?

So I bought a 2010 bmw 128i Coupé with 76,000 miles, not knowing (either through lack of questions on my part, or lack of disclosure from the dealership) that my car, unlike the other 2010 128i e82’s. Has a sulev low emissions motor. It drove fine off the lot, even for about two weeks it ran very well and couldn’t tell there was any mechanical issues with it (apart from a failed tire pressure sensor light, which we were told they’d look at and correct but didn’t). But soon after that, less than 1,000 miles put on the car, it had issues starting and having a very rough idle, accompanied by the check engine light, and the service engine light and display. The car would also only run on limp mode until restarted and warmed up. We figured this was a fuel pump issue, it was cold and dead of winter. I ordered the fuel pump replacement, and found out pretty quickly something was wrong and we wouldn’t be able to do it. Learning after some searching, that it was a sulev motor. I called around to found out what that meant and where to go (being previously unaware, and not very mechanically inclined except for the basics). I took my car to a bmw certified shop, they said they’d replace the parts free of charge and they did. After having done so, car still didn’t run right. Further diagnosis, pointed towards the eccentric shaft needing replaced? It would not be covered under warranty and was over a $2,000 repair. Basically, we raised hell with the dealership and they said they’d replace the shaft and the sensor for free. They replaced the sensor, but it’s been in their garage for like a month or more now and they’re telling me, it’s not the eccentric shaft (even though the other bmw place that did not sell us the car said that’s definitely what the problem was), and that it’s the fuel tank/pump again and that they’re going to re-replace, what the other shop (sun motors) already replaced. Has anyone else had this issue or know anything on the topic? Any info would help. I bought the car in January, it’s now April and I still don’t have it to drive or get to work. I’m extremely frustrated and starting to look into legal options. Any advice is welcome, thank you.

Was going to make a TLDNR, but there’s a lot of info and I’m slightly overwhelmed after typing this.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Before getting the car, did you get a PPI done (pre-purchase inspection) ? Also, when the car was diagnosed, they likely pulled some fault codes to see where the potential issue was coming from - what were the codes that got pulled? I own a 2008 135i and although there are differences in the motor; the fuel pump is a known issue with these cars, so that may be a possibility. Was it the main pump or the secondary one that the shop said needing replacing? I've never heard of the the actual shaft needing replacing, just the sensor for it. Are there any alternative shops that you can take it to? Regardless of the issue, the fact that your car has been sitting for several months doesn't speak too highly of the place.
    Last edited by Pelican Parts; 04-02-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. Tre shop needs to have all of the BMW-specific software to properly diagnose issues. Please do not throw parts at the problem. Doing so wastes money, doesn’t fix the problem and it angers the BMW goddesses.