Thread: 1997 e36 328ic crank no start

My Cars
    BMW 328i

1997 e36 328ic crank no start

I’ve posted before but no one helped my car cranks but doesn’t start tried once but died won’t now could it be ewS2 I’m tired of playing these games with mechanics coming up with bs and trying to charge ridiculous prices for something that isn’t hard from dealer to others they keep just coming up with parts but no dice I’m not spending any more money on parts if it’s not gunna fix it so again what are ewS2 symptoms and what could cause it etc need to get it fixed now

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Use sentences whenever possible.

I would read codes, as they will offer a clue.
    It may be ews (actually less likely), but it may also be a lot of things too.

Does your engine light illuminate with ignition being switched to the on position?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    also:
    can you let us know what's already been done or attempted? how did this problem begin? how long has this been going on?

we have a sticky post in this forum that asks for all this kind of information so we can try and help you out.....

crank no start - so the engine turns when you turn the key?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    No codes, yes check engine light comes on when in accessory. I’ve tried to have it diagnosed but starter magically started smoking is what tech said. I’ve replaced crank shaft position sensor, cam sensor. My wife gave birth and it sat. It started a few times after that and sometimes it would act like the started is locked up or dead but then after a few seconds it would work i don’t know why but it just did this a few times. The last time I drove it I drove it to the store It fully warmed up when we came out it did the battery too low or starter locked up thing then turned over and drove no issue. Then one day we were leaving to a dr appt for the baby and I went to use the key fob to open it and My key fob wouldn’t work so I figured I didn’t use it. I opened the doors by unlocking with the key and the alarm started and the key fob still didn’t work to stop the alarm so I disconnected the battery because I’m an idiot and forgot the key would have done the job. And now it will not start. Started once after this but I didn’t keep it running turned off the car because I had to get going again for the baby and an apt. tried to once and it died immediately after starting. Fuel pump turns on and works and the car cranks with no issuse just won’t start it tried one time before but nothing. Im having my tuner do an ewS2 delete and tune and I’ll be replacing the starter this weekend also i did replace the engine with another m52b28 a few years ago when mine died. Doubt that’s the issue, other than that I’ve got Nothing. I’ve tried everything with no progress at all. I believe it to be the ews2 due to the fact that I’ve exhausted everything I can as a diy individual. Also I only did cel/mil codes can’t do high end scanner stuff. My mechanic said he can’t do more till the starter is replaced. Also it’s been like this for over 2 months I miss my car and I really want to drive it someone help. Anything at this point to help me after replacing my starter etc would be great. No cooling issues, replaced everything there.
    Last edited by Cmckinne36; 04-02-2019 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Additional info

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Not tying to come off at a dick, please understand that the old guys here have a hard time reading your paragraph.

No codes, yes check engine light comes on when in accessory.

I’ve tried to have it diagnosed but starter magically started smoking is what tech said. I’ve replaced crank shaft position sensor, cam sensor.

My wife gave birth and it sat. It started a few times after that and sometimes it would act like the started is locked up or dead but then after a few seconds it would work i don’t know why but it just did this a few times.

The last time I drove it I drove it to the store It fully warmed up when we came out it did the battery too low or starter locked up thing then turned over and drove no issue. Then one day we were leaving to a dr appt for the baby and I went to use the key fob to open it and My key fob wouldn’t work so I figured I didn’t use it.

I opened the doors by unlocking with the key and the alarm started and the key fob still didn’t work to stop the alarm so I disconnected the battery because I’m an idiot and forgot the key would have done the job. And now it will not start. Started once after this but I didn’t keep it running.

I turned off the car because I had to get going again for the baby and an apt. tried to once and it died immediately after starting. Fuel pump turns on and works and the car cranks with no issuse just won’t start it tried one time before but nothing. Im having my tuner do an EWS-2 delete and tune and I’ll be replacing the starter this weekend. I did replace the engine with another m52b28 a few years ago when mine died. Doubt that’s the issue, other than that I’ve got Nothing.

I’ve tried everything with no progress at all. I believe it to be the EWS-2 due to the fact that I’ve exhausted everything I can as a diy individual. Also I only did cel/mil codes can’t do high end scanner stuff.

My mechanic said he can’t do more till the starter is replaced. Also it’s been like this for over 2 months I miss my car and I really want to drive it someone help. Anything at this point to help me after replacing my starter etc would be great. No cooling issues, replaced everything there.

Congratulations on the Baby, I understand about the fun in life when a child arrives.

When a starter starts to smoke, that means the tech has been leaning on the starter too much. Pull the codes you can see and post them up, for that would be a start. Also the key FOB can cause problems that will disable the starter, not unlike the EWS.

How handy are you? Maybe worth pulling the remote/security ECU out of the glove box to see if this helps.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    Little black box correct? I’ll try that when it comes back home. I haven’t pulled and codes and my mechanic Hasn’t said if he’s pulled any either. Just told me he needed to replace starter before he continues most likely just looking for more money.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmckinne36 View Post
    No codes, yes check engine light comes on when in accessory. I’ve tried to have it diagnosed but starter magically started smoking is what tech said. I’ve replaced crank shaft position sensor, cam sensor. My wife gave birth and it sat. It started a few times after that and sometimes it would act like the started is locked up or dead but then after a few seconds it would work i don’t know why but it just did this a few times.

The last time I drove it I drove it to the store It fully warmed up when we came out it did the battery too low or starter locked up thing then turned over and drove no issue. Then one day we were leaving to a dr appt for the baby and I went to use the key fob to open it and My key fob wouldn’t work so I figured I didn’t use it. I opened the doors by unlocking with the key and the alarm started and the key fob still didn’t work to stop the alarm so I disconnected the battery because I’m an idiot and forgot the key would have done the job. And now it will not start.

Started once after this but I didn’t keep it running turned off the car because I had to get going again for the baby and an apt. tried to once and it died immediately after starting. Fuel pump turns on and works and the car cranks with no issuse just won’t start it tried one time before but nothing. Im having my tuner do an ewS2 delete and tune and I’ll be replacing the starter this weekend also i did replace the engine with another m52b28 a few years ago when mine died. Doubt that’s the issue, other than that I’ve got Nothing.

I’ve tried everything with no progress at all. I believe it to be the ews2 due to the fact that I’ve exhausted everything I can as a diy individual. Also I only did cel/mil codes can’t do high end scanner stuff. My mechanic said he can’t do more till the starter is replaced. Also it’s been like this for over 2 months I miss my car and I really want to drive it someone help. Anything at this point to help me after replacing my starter etc would be great. No cooling issues, replaced everything there.
    for anyone else that wants to be able to actually read this.....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, should be a black box IIRC. It will be either next to the "rack" or under it. Sometimes it is Velcro in, but should only be 1 connector.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    So pulled the security box and same problem cranks but won’t start. Also I’m not showing any codes when I pull them it’s fine from what I understand. The fuel pump does kick on sometimes but doesn’t run every time I turn the key. And it makes a weird noise almost like it’s trying to turn on but cuts out or something. It sounds like when someone sighs. Does anyone have any other ideas at this point in at a loss don’t wanna townit to the shop but I have a feeling it’s gunna have to go again.